RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
381 - 396 of 396 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi. Welcome onboard.

In 2012 Kawa did cosmetic and frame changes, but I believe the front end has stayed the same through all generations - so there is a good chance that it would fit. I read on another forum that a guy fitted 2004 ZX6R front forks to his 2012 model - which is basically the same as your '15.

Although, if you don't want to use clip-ons with that front end, you are going to have to fit up a different top triple tree, and from what I understand, it's not just a simple swap, there's a fair bit of work involved.
Thanks for the info! I'll try to get some measurements to confirm.

Just to share an update with you guys, I built the 15 I picked up a year and a half ago into a road race bike. I swapped in a 2005 ZX10R front end using the info from this thread which worked, but the issue I ran into was pressing the 650 steering stem into the ZX10 lower. The lower got bent in the process and is giving me problems (probably also aggravated by a recent crash 😂) so I'm looking into other options. I know a guy selling a ZX6R front end from his 08, hence my original question.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Sports gear

·
見る
2,998 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'll try to get some measurements to confirm.

Just to share an update with you guys, I built the 15 I picked up a year and a half ago into a road race bike. I swapped in a 2005 ZX10R front end using the info from this thread which worked, but the issue I ran into was pressing the 650 steering stem into the ZX10 lower. The lower got bent in the process and is giving me problems (probably also aggravated by a recent crash 😂) so I'm looking into other options. I know a guy selling a ZX6R front end from his 08, hence my original question.
Since you have the ZX10 front end, why not just buy another lower and get a good machine shop to press the stem into it like before. Might be a hell of a lot cheaper than a complete new front end swap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since you have the ZX10 front end, why not just buy another lower and get a good machine shop to press the stem into it like before. Might be a hell of a lot cheaper than a complete new front end swap.
Yeah I will probably do this eventually and keep the ZX10 front end as a backup. I have a fork issue that needs repair also, and besides I'm getting a really good deal on the ZX6 one. Never hurts to have spares when you're racing :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
10 Posts
2007/08 zx10 triple trees are the right size for the 04 zx10 forks and also bolt right up to a 650. thats how i got mine on -

If you have a zx6 front end though...
Does the 07/08 zx10 steering stem fit as well? Or do you still have to press in the 650 stem?

The 650 stem in a 05 zx10 lower is a half inch too short, I had to get it pressed out to fit which means the bottom of the stem isn't flush with the bottom of the hole in the lower. I think that might have created a weak point and could be another reason why it got tweaked.

But yeah I know one of the MotoAmerica Twins Cup riders who has a complete zx6 front end he's getting rid of at a good price so I'm going to go with that and keep the zx10 front end as a backup.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes the 2008-10 zx10 triple tree is a bolt on fit for a er650
It holds 50/54 forks
No mess, no fuss
03/04 zx10 forks use a similar axle to the er650 and you can use the same front wheel
All other zx10 forks use a different wheel. You can check the bearing numbers to verify

The zx6 front end is typically 50/52 mm and uses a different axle size so uses a different wheel to the er650

*** This post has been updated ***
I had originally said that the 07/08 ZX10r triple tree is a stright fit for a 650; This is incorrect you need an 2008-10 ZX10r triple

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes the 07/08 zx10 triple tree is a bolt on fit for a er650
It holds 50/54 forks
No mess, no fuss
03/04 zx10 forks use a similar axle to the er650 and you can use the same front wheel
All other zx10 forks use a different wheel. You can check the bearing numbers to verify

The zx6 front end is typically 50/52 mm and uses a different axle size so uses a different wheel to the er650
Gotcha, good to know on the 07-08 zx10 triple. I'll keep an eye out for one.

Still going to get the zx6 front end though. It's a complete 05 front end with upgraded forks (springs and valve kit) and includes a wheel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got the ZX6R front end on the bike. It's actually an 05-06 front end with 03-04 lower triple, so it bolted right on with no modification. Only catch was that I found one of the brake rotors was bent. Thankfully I was able to swap in the 650 rotors, which bolted right onto the ZX6R wheel. Excited to let it rip at the track this weekend 😁
Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Vehicle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great to hear it worked out. Note that you have a hydraulic clutch ?? Would you share any details you might have of that ? Did you do the conversion yourself ?
That's actually a hand lever for the rear brake I got from a stunt bike shop (tacticalmindz). I can't use my feet so I need hand controls for the rear brake and shifter. The normal clutch lever is below the rear brake lever (see 1st pic).

·
Registered
499 Posts
That's actually a hand lever for the rear brake I got from a stunt bike shop (tacticalmindz). I can't use my feet so I need hand controls for the rear brake and shifter. The normal clutch lever is below the rear brake lever (see 1st pic).
i see… I don’t know how Id go with that. My levels of coordination aren’t that great.How do you manage mid corner upshifts? I reckon your a bit better rider than I am …

·
Registered
10 Posts
i see… I don’t know how Id go with that. My levels of coordination aren’t that great.How do you manage mid corner upshifts? I reckon your a bit better rider than I am …
I try to avoid them but a quick chop of the throttle will allow me to upshift quickly without the clutch. Hoping to find a suitable quick shifter to make the process even easier.

381 - 396 of 396 Posts