RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
What is the difference between a Ninja and a ZR7?
The question is too general.

Ninja is simply a general name, applied to Kawasaki motorcycles ranging in sizes from 250s to 1400s to signify they are sportier than other models.

ZR-7 is a specific model sold from 1999 to 2005 with a old fashion, antiquated, (KZ750), simple, 4-cyl, air cooled engine.

....if you mean the Versys Ninja 650, then the ZR-7 was a (rushed) stop gap model to compete against the Suzuki SV650, until Kawasaki could develop the Versys to fill that gap..............and the differences are about 30 years of technological advances..

·
American Legion Rider
35 Posts
I’m actually seeing the name Ninja getting applied to more than just Kawasaki bikes. Wrong but I’m seeing it happen.

·
West Coast Moderator
13,090 Posts
Kawasaki has used that Ninja brand on everything from a 250 to a 1400. I don't know what their model line up is now but I'm sure they currently have a few Ninja offerings.

·
American Legion Rider
35 Posts
Yep, I know. I think the word Ninja is getting used like the word sportbike in many cases. I'm certainly not suggesting is right but what's happening. It's rather flattering in one respect.

·
West Coast Moderator
13,090 Posts
I just read up on it a little. Kawasaki trademarked some form of the word "Ninja" in '84 with the GPZ900 and have re-registered the trademark several times since then. So it's been around for quite a while.

·
American Legion Rider
35 Posts
Look how much the term HOG is used. I think it's a great compliment myself to be copied. But that's just me.

·
Registered
993 Posts
ZR-7 is a specific model sold from 1999 to 2005 with a old fashion, antiquated, (KZ750), simple, 4-cyl, air cooled engine.
Ahem ... I think you mean it is probably the world's best and longest lasting all-purpose road bike? 😄

1 - 13 of 13 Posts