·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

My Zr7 has the following modifications.

Short end can
K&n pod filters

Previous owner installed a dynojet stage 1 kit. It was mentioned the engine was running a bit rich and having ridden it for a while I agreed. The engine bogs down slightly when accelerating hard from 3000 rpm before running as expected up the Rev band.

Tonight I had a look at the current setup. The needles were on the 5th slot from the end. The dynojet instructions suggest the 3rd slot from the end so that’s what I set the needles back to. The 2 middle carbs had the small pair of washers to raise the needles slightly.

I’ve ridden it with the new setup and it’s running even worse. Really bogs down and struggles to hold revs at 3/4000. Obviously I need to put things back as they were.

I did check the plugs before changing things. The plugs were not sooty but a darker brown so it did look a bit rich.

I assumed I’d make things better but it feels like it’s running even richer now.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
As far as I know the jet kits are designed for the stock air box and not for pod filters.
Although a carb is a carb and a jet kit is a jet kit, I know my bike runs like crap when I remove the air filter as it doesn't have the proper back pressure. It bogs out when the throttle is used.
I think the extra washers were for the slight difference in the intake runner lengths for the outer carbs being slightly longer than the two inner carbs.
As your bike has pod filters on it I can't really be of any more guidance, sorry.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
They never run right with pod filters.
Also i spoke to Dynojet when i got my kit and they said set the needles all the same, IE same groove and no extra spaces on the inner 2 carbs.
with a K&N in a modded air box the bike runs great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. So the response you got was to not bother with the small washers at all? Kit instructions say to fit two above the e-clip on each of the carbs.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
yes fit them above the clip as they stop the needle moving. just don't add any below the 2 middle ones to raise the needles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts