RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how projects are on here (I know the Honda VTR/ Hawk) owners weren't happy with my take on their chosen machines 馃檮
As I have said, I took over ownership from my wife as I love the motor & she's a fun little machine to mess around with.
I prefer an older look, so I decided to get on with her as a project.
I'm waiting to find a fitting tank, but get a 90s Zephyr tail which I thought would fit.
It didn't so I cut it in half & got Carried away (I was just taking a look)

Now the work so far is temporary. I'm moving house & most of my gear is in storage (tools, bench, steel & the rest).I plan to fiberglass the tail once I know I'm happy with it all & theres a hole lot of tidying.
Final result will be bare metal/ rust & Matt black/ green with all mechanical gremlins sorted

Attachments

Registered
I don't think anyone here will fault you for customizing the bike. Even if they do, so what? :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, it's all individual. But the VTR crowd got a bit hostile. Fact 8s that was a parts bin bike & the worst I've ever ridden/ owned but I had fun changing her up.
I don't expect people to follow my taste but just to take it in good spirit.

Registered
Well I've been here just over 6 years and the ZR7/7S folks are pretty much good with most things ZR related, even if it's not what they would ever do to their bike. There are (were) a few trolls in other sections of the forums, but this *IS* the internet, so....... :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Finally home & got a chance to test fit the zephyr tank, went on perfectly with fuel tap in the right spot. Only issues are the tank to frame rear bracket & seat is way off

Attachments

Registered
Easy enough to make a bracket for the rear of the tank. Reshaping the seat is a bit more laborious.

I assume the Zephyr tank is smaller in fuel capacity.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately, yes. 17ltrs versus 22ltra for our tank.
Seat will take a good bit of messing about alright, might see about getting a zephyr 1 & joining them. 1st I'll try with what I have

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
So back from the family holiday & with only a couple of days until a trip to Wales I've gotten a bit done
Seat & tank bracket have been a pain, but should work (seat temporary as I want to make 1 from scratch)

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Tank still needs a small hole welding up & fitting of fuel tap ect & need to weld nuts to the bracket, hopefully done tomorrow to give me time to test ride her

Registered
She's slowly reverting to a Zephyr lol

Registered
Interesting place for a side satchel. If it's for storage doesn't it get in the way of your leg?

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I've just got spare gloves In them at the moment and no issues.
Tank capacity has been an issue with Wales (must check if the fuel level float arm is different on the zephyr), but not enough to warrant swapping back.

Attachments

Registered
So the light bar underneath is your only "headlight" now?

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
I have a 2nd 1 if needed, but the spot light is brighter than the original headlight. I just have to come up with an idea for a high beam. Might try do something with the other spot light

Registered
How did you have them wired?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts