RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
my zr has started to make a ticking noise from the top end only today. I assume it is one of the valves needs a new slightly larger shim. It is only really noticeable because the engine was so quiet before this and I guess I'll be doing the shims one day soon. Great to see this thread with the step by step guide as in all my years biking I have never done shims before.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
my zr has started to make a ticking noise from the top end only today. I assume it is one of the valves needs a new slightly larger shim. It is only really noticeable because the engine was so quiet before this and I guess I'll be doing the shims one day soon. Great to see this thread with the step by step guide as in all my years biking I have never done shims before.
Unless I'm wrong as the valves lose clearance they'd tick less. Hopefully someone else can add their 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Yep, your correct Obo. As they wear, the clearance decreases. Thus LESS tappa-tappa. Once they get down to little/no clearance, the bike usually wont start, or will "miss/not produce power because either the intake valve can't introduce air/fuel into the cylinder, or the exhaust can't escape the cylinder.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Yep, your correct Obo. As they wear, the clearance decreases. Thus LESS tappa-tappa. Once they get down to little/no clearance, the bike usually wont start, or will "miss/not produce power because either the intake valve can't introduce air/fuel into the cylinder, or the exhaust can't escape the cylinder.
Which is exactly what happened to mine 2 years ago (clearances got down to zero, started harder and harder when cold until it wouldn't start at all.)

That being said, Jerry BB, you may have another issue going on if you have a new ticking sound that's not the valves.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Certainly no issues with performance on it yesterday and it revs freely, just a slightly annoying noise that was not there previously. If I had a loud pipe you could not hear it.

I have to change the rear disc tomorrow so I'll have another look & Listen to it.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Like Shaky said, could just be the cam chain. Not to mention, with the hot weather, and some miles, the oil gets a bit thinner and makes those valves, cam and chain, and other internal moving parts more audible. It's amazing how much quieter they are with an oil change!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Like Shaky said, could just be the cam chain. Not to mention, with the hot weather, and some miles, the oil gets a bit thinner and makes those valves, cam and chain, and other internal moving parts more audible. It's amazing how much quieter they are with an oil change!
I did change the oil only a few weeks back, but it has been very warm here and I had been belting it bit before I noticed it. It sounds a lot quieter today, so I'll see what happens over time and keep an ear out for it. It is only a very minor rattle/tapping so I don't think I need to panic just yet!

Thanks all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is great. Especially the pictures help.
Once I got the gasket, I started putting everything back together. Before putting the cover back on the valves, I thought I would check the valves again and ... there was no clearance anymore, nihil, nada, zero, nothing. They were all slammed close to the cams ...

This guy's misery is over 8 years old, but I just ran into this EXACT same problem. Measured all clearances and waited 10 days for the two shims I needed. (six of eight were fine) Replaced the shims and got ZERO clearance on 7 of the eight, .002 on the eighth. I've disassembled and reassembled about 5 times. Engine turns over smoothly and what feels like very normally. Timing appears to remain correct.

I've done 4 or 5 successful valve adjustments on dual cam single cylinder bikes, so I am not exactly a newbie, but this bike makes me feel like a complete idiot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This guy's misery is over 8 years old, but I just ran into this EXACT same problem..
OK, (takes deep breath) FYI, I think I have my valves figured out. I have no idea what went wrong with my initial measurements, but I kind of gave up and started over.

I pulled all shims and bought 8 new ones, with a nice selection of smaller sizes. The valves I deemed the tightest got an adjustment of up to 0.25mm (i.e. 2.60 >2.35). I estimated everything else on the thin end and replaced all 8 shims with smaller ones. Some were still tight AF, but gradually I was at least starting to get measurements!!

After assembling and disassembling many times, (approximately 6 total) I was finally able to get 7 measurements. (My smallest feeler is .002") I STILL had to buy three more shims to get everything right. I now have every clearance at either .005" or .006"

I had to mathematically "back into" the original clearances, but they were as follows:
Exhaust (inches) (1234): .004, .002, -.0037, .001
Intake (inches) (1234): .002, .003, .004, .003

On a side note, the blue Permatex matches the candy lightning blue pretty nicely!

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK, (takes deep breath) FYI, I think I have my valves figured out.
Also FYI, it is a 2000 ZR7 with only 11,500 miles. I just bought it last summer. The PO took it to the dealer only (so he says), so my guess is that it probably did get the break-in adjustment, but that's it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My advice is this: If you're going to own this bike for many years and many miles, and you want to do your own maint.... buy a shim kit.!!

I had a free weekend, so it didnt kill me, but I had to keep assembling and disassembling because I was "moving" the smallest shims around to different valves to try to get a min. measurement. A kit would have saved me a lot of hours.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Even though it says not to cut them to the right thickness I have had my buddy grind some to the correct size at a machine shop.
They still passed the hardness test and have been fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I do not see the photo. I adjusted the valve many times and found out that the ideal clearance is 0.10-0.11mm, with this adjustment the engine runs quietly, if the gap is more than 0.12, an unpleasant sound is heard

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi, I do not see the photo. I adjusted the valve many times and found out that the ideal clearance is 0.10-0.11mm, with this adjustment the engine runs quietly, if the gap is more than 0.12, an unpleasant sound is heard
Hi Russo, if you look at post #31 I uploaded a word doc to Dropbox, just follow the link, I've just checked it and all the pics are there in the doc.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts