RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my stock exhause can with a 2-bros carbon fiber can - Stock can = 10 lbs, 2-bros can = 5 lbs --> 5 lbs savings

I removed all the EGR and gas vapor recovery crap - 3 lbs

Total savings = 8 lbs

I think my next weight loss change is to change the steel rear sprocket to aluminum. This should net 1-2 lbs savings.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I think if you're really into losing weight off the bike, you're on the right track, but I don't think that the weight saved from changing to an aluminum sprocket is worth the agony you're going to face in prematurely worn sprockets and chains. You get could net greater gains by going to a lighter weight set of wheels and lighter brake disks. I've done the aluminum sprocket swap with other bikes and they only last about 1/2 as long as steel and the weight savings wasn't worth the money, time or hassles.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Martin,
I guess your correct about the decreased wear of an aluminum sprocket.

I wonder how much it costs to change to lighter wheels of brake disks? Sound expensive!

To lighten the wheels on my mountain bicycle, I installed lighter (thinner) inner tubes. I wonder if someone makes thinner tubes for motorcycles?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Chuck Dyer said:
Martin,
(I wonder if someone makes thinner tubes for motorcycles?
Who needs tubes with tubeless tyres?.......
Weight saved on unsprung mass (brakes rims tyres etc) has a twofold benefit.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Ours are tubeless, but I have seen sportbikes in Fresno that have been lowered (I have no idea why they do it, but they do) and fitted with lower profile tires. They also tend to take off stuff like chain guards and any other excess plastic and under body work. Another thing I did was took off the rest of my smog and cut out the brackets that held it in under the seat. It took off a couple more oz. and made alot more room for storage. I'm kinda leary of making my bike light because it'll make it a little rougher on the freeway. But it still could stand to lose a few lbs.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
I save 30 LBS removing the front tube, tire and wheel! It rides like its on rails now... :eek:

Andy

N

·
0 Posts
Martin64 said:
<snip> I've done the aluminum sprocket swap with other bikes and they only last about 1/2 as long as steel and the weight savings wasn't worth the money, time or hassles.
Since the front steel sprocket wears down roughly twice as fast as the steel rear sprocket, IMHO changing to an aluminum rear sprocket that wears twice as fast as the steel rear isn't necessarily a bad thing.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
It is when all that aluminum dust gets in and wears the o-rings out of the chain....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Andy Bajka said:
I save 30 LBS removing the front tube, tire and wheel! It rides like its on rails now... :eek:

Andy
Hey Andy,
this is your best picture. Very funny. After seeing this picture, I was thinking that replacing the engine with an extremely light weight and super powerful mouse would be the ticket.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Thanks Chuck...

To save even more weight, you know you could even remove the front disks. But I'm not sure how well it would ride. :?

Andy

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,742 Posts
titomike said:
To lose 3kg ( 8lbs ) probably cost you US$300-400.

Try Weightwatchers, it's cheaper :rolleyes:

:)
Isn't that what 'Haga' tried to do and it cost him a championship last season? Guess those Weightwatcher's supplement's make ya pay the price.

In reality, shedding some pounds and few track days would be the best thing for a few of us ;)

·
Maintenance Overlord
5,609 Posts
Hey Andy

Great graphic.

I am only a computer novice can you explain to me in simple terms, how you "removed" the wheel from the bike I can even see through the holes in the front discs.

Thank you

Graeme Gould at Byron Bay the most Easterly part of Australia

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Graeme,

I used Photoshop. I just clicked on the "Remove Front Wheel Button". :( Just kidding. I wish it was that simple.

Start by copying the virgin picture into Photoshop.

Remove shadow with the eraser tool.

Use the Magic Wand Tool to select just the motorcycle.

Paste selection into new window.

Rotate motorcycle CW as it would have no front wheel. Command used Edit > Transform > Rotate.

Use the Eraser Tool to remove the front wheel.

In a new window copy the virgin picture into Photoshop.

Select just the shadow with the Lasso Tool.

Paste the shadow into the "rotated picture with wheel removed" window.

Use the Clone Stamp Tool to make the shadow go around the front disk.

All done...

If you have Photoshop, give it a try. If you are having problems doing it, let me know. There were some steps left out that make it possible to do this.

Andy

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Andy...Your best work to date. Not just the picture, it was the content. You really do have a future in the world of comedy.

Hey forget wieghtwatchers, just do what Jarred did. Eat Subway. Only Subway. Soon, very soon, you won't want to eat anything if all you can eat is Subway. Drop hundreds.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Losing weight yourself is a good plan, and it's one I'm attempting. I figure that if and when I buy the Daytona, me being such a small dude is what will level the playing field between other sportbikes and I. The Triumph weighs about 40 pounds more than GSXR's and CBR's, but by summer-time, I'm hoping to be down to around 150. Hopefully that should even things up a little, since the only guys on bikes that I know of aren't very concerned with their physique.

It's too bad, the things I do for motorcycles. I spent all high-school and a few years afterwards building all this muscle and gaining weight, and now I'm throwing it all away. Lost ten pounds so far, another fifteen to go. When my Ninja 250 and I are a 450 pound package together, it'll all be worth it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts