RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting my bike after 19 mo sitting here in the US. it's not running well yet but i noticed gas pulse spraying down from a square piece behind the petcock lever. I am in a limited data situation so i can't download the manual. can someone tell me what that is please? thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
You mean the shiny plate behind the knob?
If so, there's a seal there that needs replacing, it looks like a face. But if that seal is gone, the small one that keeps the fuel from flowing into your carbs when not running is deteriorated as well. It's time for a petcock rebuild before you fill up your engine with gas.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
252 Posts
i need this?

Yes, that's the kit. K&L isn't bad stuff but hope you don't get a knockoff item from fleabay.
You have to clean any built up crud from the cast body, especially the seat that the small o ring on the diagram sits in. Be careful not to gouge the metal. The least little crud there will cause it to drip.

·
Registered
252 Posts
ok thanks. i guess i have to take off the tank to drain, etc
Rebuilding the petcock is easy, you just have to be careful because who wants to do it twice.

For the tank, I use is one of these kerosene siphons. They're cheap and work well and fast with gasoline. I offload the gas into a gas can and pour it into my car. It makes taking the tank off easier. I prefer it to putting a hose on the petcock.
This...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts