RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've perused the various threads here about hard starts, mixture screws, etc... and haven't found what I was looking for, so here goes:

The bike does not like to start after sitting over night (choke or no choke, throttle cracked, throttle closed, it doesn't matter). If I ride to a friend's house, stay for a few hours, then leave it starts fine. Temps here are pleasant right now, around 55*F lowes and 80*F highs.

I've taken the carbs off and cleaned them thoroughly, set the float heights according to factory manual, adjusted mixture screws to 2.5 turns out, applied sea-foam and retried to no avail. I replaced the mixture screws with new after finding badly damaged or missing o-rings (yeah... missing... maybe I dropped them out when I was cleaning, I don't know) and replaced the pilot jets (the #35 small ones) with new. I have a new battery, and the air filter looks fine.

When running, the bike has a strong hesitation transitioning from closed throttle to open. When it's warmed up and in my driveway, it exhibits the same hesitation problems. When at wide open throttle, the acceleration is smooth and strong.

My main concerns are hesitation and hard starts, i've tried what I deem the usual and have had no results.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Unbalanced carbs can cause starting issues and cause the issues you are having when it's running. When you cleaned your carbs, did you blow out the passages with compressed air? You'll be surprised how much extra crap comes out.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,140 Posts
+1 on the carbs being dirty. There are tiny tiny passages that are easily clogged. If blowing them out doesnt work you may have to have them professionally dipped and cleaned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE:
I looked again at all the passages, and I was satisfied with the flow through them. But when I rebuilt them, I neglected the started plunger (enrichener) circuit. The plungers themselves are hard to get to, a normal socket a) is too large on the outside diameter, and b) has too little engagement with the 12mm hex. An open ended wrench has too much meat to fit down in there as well.

I made a tool out of flat bar stock, 19.05mm wide x 2mm thick. I milled a 12mm slot in it, and it fit like a charm. You'll have to also mill down the working end of the tool, because there's only a working diameter of 15.8mm around the plunger. A finely turned down socket will do the trick too, but you'd have to separate the carb bank to get it in between carbs 1-2 and 3-4.

There's very little torque on the plunger, if you don't care how it looks you can likely twist it with some needle nosed pliers.

Anyway, I believe you guys are right about the passageways not being clean, and I think that after I hose these starter plunger bores out I should be good to go. I hope so, because I've replaced damn near everything else in the carbs haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts