RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

ZR-7 headlight & gauge bulb replacement

9K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  BowmanZR7 
#1 ·
I've searched the forum and can't find either instructions. I guess it's on the old server (or I may just be REAL slow..:) )

Question 1. How do I replace the burnt out bulbs in the gauges - on a ZR-7 (not S)?

Question 2. Where can I find a brighter headlight?
Question 2a. What should I look for when looking for a replacment headlight?

Thanx,
Bowman

#2 ·
Bowman,

A:#1, I need the directions too, my whole tach is out.

A:# 2. I replaced the stock bulb with a "Nam Yung Eagleye H4" color "Crystal Blue" it is a 55/105 bulb. The dealer assured me that it wouldn't burn up my wires. It makes a big difference at night, I can see much better. It is more of a slightly blue tinted light than an annoying blue eye killer.

A:#2a, IMHO something bright enough to see with that won't blind the rest of the world and not burn out your wires. Others have better info I am sure.

Chris

#3 ·
I did my gauge lights a while back. The book says to remove the headlight and housing, then remove the screws and disconnect the speedo cable in the underside of the gauge housing. Instead I used one of those 90 deg. screw drivers so I wouldn't have to pull the headlight and housing off......Once you get in there, it's pretty easy.

#6 ·
Thanx Martin.

Someone posted a link to the old board and I started surfin it and what did I find? A post (from ME) asking the same question..I said I might be SLOW...DOH. It looked like you replied then also...:) Once again thanx!

Guess I'm suffering from CRS...:)

Note: Someone on ZR_Riders board said they used the 194 and 168 bulbs from Auto Zone.

#8 ·
Installed a PIAA H4 Platinum Series SuperWhite 60/55W(xtra) headlamp bulb yesterday. WOW.

Did a little riding last night, and what a difference. Even when coming to an idle @ a stop sign (when the old bulb dimmed a little) there was no noticable difference in intensity. Oncoming headlights look yellow in comparison.

Went to the local bike shop yesterday and told the sales guy I wanted a brighter bulb. He pulled out a 110/100W ($18). I told him I didn't want to fry the harness. He said the only other thing he had were these $42 bulbs. I said 'sold'. He was so suprised (they were behind a separate locked display :) ) he gave me a new clear visor for my CL12 free.

#10 ·
That's actually a good thought....about sunrise the gauges are a little hard to read with those green numbers.....have you seen any different colored bulbs that would fit? I'm sure someone has to make them.

#11 ·
I really like the green lighting in the instruments.
The problem is the bulbs blow quite frequently. The solution I use is to tighten slightly the female end (where the bulb is attached) with small pliers, and clean with contact spray.
We'll see if it works :)

Aris

#12 ·
Kewl. I'll have to try the green bulbs!

Martin, The 194 wedge bulbs come in different colors. This seems to be a common number/name for the bulbs. As best I can tell, they are 3 watt.

Another bulb that fits is the 168 bulb. This bulb is 5 watts. I wouldn't put it in the bike because the original is 1.7 watts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.