RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Just did my springs yesterday, although I ran out of time and haven't replaced the front wheel yet. Just a couple of questions for you shakey.

Hyoerpro state a oil depth of 150mm not 100. I've gone with the hyperpro guide. Is that what you did? And the sag you mentioned, is that with rider or without. Will try to sort this eve when I get home. Cheers
yeah im sure I went with the hyperpro level, basically half the hyperpro bottle in each leg .
I have decided to remove the extra 10mm pvc mod as I have since found out you want static sag at around 30-35mm, without rider.
so it seems hyperpro were right at the level

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just thought, possibly the extra coils on the progressive spring will mean that the overall oil level will end up the same.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Just thought, possibly the extra coils on the progressive spring will mean that the overall oil level will end up the same.
the hyperpros are a little shorter than stock so maybe the extra oil is to compensate

·
Registered
101 Posts
the hyperpros are a little shorter than stock so maybe the extra oil is to compensate
I found that they were about 10mm longer than stock. Haven't measured my stock ones yet to see if they had compressed. Also hyperpro suggest an air gap of 150 mm rather than 100mm so less oil used with hyperpro

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
sorry I shouldn't read when tired lol, I read that wrong on the 150mm, 100mm
what year is your bike?
mine is reg 2001 but its a 99-2000 bike so different size to the 2001-2004
the manual I got with the hyperpro's say 140mm oil

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's a 2001 F3, so different spring length to yours, and it said 150. Just out of interest, my static sag is about 29mm so not far off the 24 that hyperpro give

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
oh right, that explains the difference then
this year im looking at changing my forks to some that have adjustment
just limited on what to use because of the cable speedo and I want to keep it looking close to stock

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fork oil is done! I did have the forks stick at compression, but held up the top and and tapped on the bottom section carefully with a rubber mallet and they moved.
Fashioned a measurement tool from a syringe from Can Tire, some tube from a Platypus, cable tied to a metal pocket ruler which is conveniently 15cm, exactly the measurement needed according to the manual (zr7s). I found I had to add a bit more than 400ml so I could suck some out and bring it to 150mm.
Took me about 3 hrs, first time and I'm a computer guy, far from a mechanic. Not bad though if you take it slow. I torqued everything to spec, don't want to mess around with the forks.
Old oil was dark brown.... compared to the new big difference. Tomorrow I take it for a spin.

IMG_20180407_170518138.jpg
IMG_20180407_172824451.jpg
IMG_20180407_172828270.jpg

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Fork oil is done! Old oil was dark brown.... compared to the new big difference. Tomorrow I take it for a spin.
Did you do the preload mod while you were at it?

61 - 70 of 70 Posts