RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
I still have the OEM jets and have never felt the need to swap them up. If I wanted more usable HP I'd either lighten the bike up (remove the hard cases etc.) or lose a few pounds off myself :) The bike is what it is at this point.

The mods I wanted (but will likely never do now) are full lower fairing, ignition advancer, alternator upgrade.

The ignition advancer would probably give you a good bang for your buck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The 7S is what it is. I have two other bikes which supply extra power if I need it.
I have a 2017 z900 and a 2004 ZRX 1200 ( (my second one. I made the mistake of selling my 2002 zrx so I bought another).
I have had even more powerful bikes but for me, the extra power is useless and just gets you in trouble. I think 115 rwhp motorcycles are right in the sweet spot.

On my brief 1/4 mile of test riding the 7S the freezing day I bought it, I found it is comfortable and feels exactly like riding a lighter ZRX.

As long as the zr7s starts and runs perfectly I'll be happy.
I'm from the school that says "If you want a faster bike, become a better rider."

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
On my brief 1/4 mile of test riding the 7S the freezing day I bought it, I found it is comfortable and feels exactly like riding a lighter ZRX.

As long as the zr7s starts and runs perfectly I'll be happy.
I'm from the school that says "If you want a faster bike, become a better rider."
I think this is partially what killed the zr7. In 2004 they had both the carbed zr7 and the more powerful fuel injected z750.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think this is partially what killed the zr7. In 2004 they had both the carbed zr7 and the more powerful fuel injected z750.
Yes, and very few regarded it as one of the last great opportunities to be able to buy a brand new carbureted air/oil cooled eight valve inline four cylinder bike. It was a living breathing fossil.
But all that went unnoticed with the horsepower/technology war going on. Everybody wanted the latest and greatest.

When I joined this site but a few weeks ago, the lack of activity and decades old posts did not go unnoticed. It was like discovering the ruins of a once thriving civilization. But, as in the movies, there's always some survivors living amongst the ruins. Maybe someday, as humans realize what they once had with the zr7s, post by post, this site will be brought back to the glory it once had.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Yes, and very few regarded it as one of the last great opportunities to be able to buy a brand new carbureted air/oil cooled eight valve inline four cylinder bike. It was a living breathing fossil.
But all that went unnoticed with the horsepower/technology war going on. Everybody wanted the latest and greatest.

When I joined this site but a few weeks ago, the lack of activity and decades old posts did not go unnoticed. It was like discovering the ruins of a once thriving civilization. But, as in the movies, there's always some survivors living amongst the ruins. Maybe someday, as humans realize what they once had with the zr7s, post by post, this site will be brought back to the glory it once had.
The whole forum was a lot busier when I first joined. There were the regular group of folks with a 7 or a 7s. Some had moved on to newer rides but still hung out here with their old friends. There was also a big Mean Streak crowd that was very active. The 7/7s crowd moved on or passed on and the Mean Streak folks moved to a Facebook group due to them disagreeing with the moderators here (from what I recall.)

I'm not sure I'd say my 7s was a dinosaur, but it does have dinosaur "blood" in it's engine. Perhaps that will stir up another oil thread..

As the last 7s's (sold in Canada thru 2005 vs the US's last year of 2003) approach 16/18 years old respectfully, the number of them out there left dwindle. There's a few that pop up for sale across Canada but they never were an extremely popular model. Growing up I knew all about Ninjas and whatnot, but until I bought my 7s I had no idea they even existed.
Pity as they really are a fairly bulletproof and simple bike. Not great at any one thing, but good at everything.
I've used mine "sporty", touring as well as off road. Places I'd never be willing or able to take the ST. They also have a really decent sized fuel tank for helping extend the riding between stops for fuel. :)

My 2 cents - and yes I'm biased.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Obo, believe it or no, I had recently considered buying the new ZH2 but I came to senses. What on Earth do I need that much power for when I already have two other pretty fast bikes? And I can't use the relatively meager 115hp they supply. LOL.
Better brakes and suspension I can use. 200hp, and the complications of a supercharger, not so much.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts