RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago some of you were fortunate to get a Zero G windscreen. Any opinions on the new screens and any idea when the rest of us might get our hands on one?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey Netlore,
I like the looks of the tall touring screen. How do you like the dark smoke on the screen? Does it limit your view of the road?

How much more wind protection do you get? How much taller is the new wind screen?

Thanks

·
Silver Member
607 Posts
There will be a delay when ordering the dark it's been going on 6 wks so i called they are out of dark smoke altogether. doublebubble should be available in about 6wks they are all most complete. Apparently there is becoming a demand for the zr7 shields.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My clear ZG shield just arrived yesterday - 4 weeks after ordering. When I ordered, they had dark ones in stock but not clear. I'm starting to think they have none in stock and just build to order.

Anyway, put it on last night, and rode to work in damp 40 degree weather this morning. Great improvement at highway speeds. The wind blast at the top of my chest & bottom of full-face helmet is GREATLY reduced. I'm a happy camper.

·
Silver Member
207 Posts
TexasRed,

Back when CanyonDog tested the prototype ZG windscreens, I think he mentioned some buffeting around the helmet with the sport touring model. Did you experience that?

For reference, could you tell us how tall you are? I'm around 6'1" and would like to have an idea as to how far up the shield moves the wind.

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is some slight buffeting around the helmet, compared to the "completely out in the airstream" blast with the stock shield, but I don't find it enough to be objectionable, at least at normal highway speeds. I much prefer the feeling of having the shield do more of the punching through the wind.

I'm only 5'9" but I'm much taller when I sit down. Does that make sense? I have short arms and legs and a long trunk, so ergonomics are always a little different for me. I'm seriously considering some GenMar risers, since I have to lean a little too far to grip the bars. Anyway, I'm guessing that I "sit" about 6' or maybe a little more.

Also, another point of info is that the clear shield is not dark tinted at the bottom like the stock shield, so there's a gap between the headlight and that cover behind the instruments that is clearly exposed. I'm going to try some flat black spray paint on the inside of that area this weekend.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I faxed an order to ZG for the sport tour model, smoke tint this morning and they just called me and said they just finished packing up my order and it will be on its way tomorrow morning....we will see if their delivery times are getting any better.

·
Silver Member
207 Posts
I ordered a clear Sport Touring model this morning (2/15/02). The lady that took the order said that they were out of stock but would make one to order and send it in about 2 weeks.

I'll post here again when it arrives.

Craig

·
Registered
7 Posts
Of those that have the ZG Sport Touring Windscreen, what do you think? Is it a significant reduction in the buffeting? If you have a tinted one does it obstruct your view at all while riding? Thanks for any input that will help me buy the right one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Murphy,
My experience so far has been on windy days, with a lot of crosswinds, etc. but I do feel its a great improvement over the stock screen. The wind now hits about eye level. No helmet lifting. I got the clear so I cant comment on the visibilty issue. Fits well and I think it looks better than stock. I think its a good investment.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also have the clear version, but visibility should not be a problem unless you spend a lot of time really hunkered down behind that shield. The wind pressure is noticeably reduced for me, with the wind blast now at the mid to bottom part of my helmet, rather than on the chest. There is some increase in buffeting due to the nonlaminar flow around my helmet, but the wind pressure at highway speeds is so much better that I don't mind.

·
Silver Member
607 Posts
YEAH!!!!
After 13 weeks I just got the email from Linda that my dark smoke screen was sent today. 13 weeks!!!! EVERYTIME I SPOKE TO THEM IT WAS NEXT WEEK. Finally:D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts