RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my stock windscreen with a new-to-me ZG ST dark smoke windscreen.

Someone had noted how much taller it seemed, so I thought I'd post some pictures comparing the stock and the ST screen.

The ST screen is taller, has a steeper rake, and is a bit narrower at the top.

Stock on top, ST underneath:

IMG_7215.JPG
IMG_7216.JPG
IMG_7217.JPG

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ST on top, stock underneath

IMG_7218.JPG
IMG_7219.JPG
IMG_7220.JPG

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I had shown the installed photos in another thread but in the interest of those who don't see that thread here you go.

1.jpg 2.JPG

IMG_7055.JPG IMG_7175.JPG

IMG_7186.JPG

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I've had the ZG S-T dark screen on mine since a few days after I bought it new in 2004. Works great for me.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You've got to love action shots! Unless it involves a crash. :)

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have a stock, a ZG double bubble and a ZG ST actually I like the stock the best overall. Less turbulence around the helmet at speed. The ST gives me a larger "still air" pocket but the buffeting air hits me right at the base of the helmet. The double bubble looks good but is more turbulence at all speeds. I wish Givi made a windshield for the ZR7S as the taller windshield for the ZRX's works great. Maybe I'll try a MRA next. Stay tuned. Lol.:D

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Don't scold me for resurrecting an ancient thread but we ride an ancient and mythical steed, do we not? I'm wondering if this screen will truly raise the wind blast for me. The stock screen hits me right at the base of the helmet which is the source of all noise for me. All I have to do is place my hand under my helmet at speed and there is silence. This is true for all of my helmets (Shoei GT-Air, Icon Airmada, Scorpion AT950).

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hey Flip, how are you doing neighbor ? I'm just to the north and west of you. Just wondering, how tall are you ? And do you have/ use "handle bar risers" or a different handle bar other than a "stock" bend ? I agree we ride a truly great motorcycle, I've been enamored by these little "jewels" of engines ever since my first one (80' KZ750E1). Oh I wear the Pre 2016 Bell Star helmet myself. (I'm about to buy the newest Bell Star helmet). I too have the same turbulence issue.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Don't scold me for resurrecting an ancient thread but we ride an ancient and mythical steed, do we not? I'm wondering if this screen will truly raise the wind blast for me. The stock screen hits me right at the base of the helmet which is the source of all noise for me. All I have to do is place my hand under my helmet at speed and there is silence. This is true for all of my helmets (Shoei GT-Air, Icon Airmada, Scorpion AT950).
Well it definitely adjusted it for me. Now can I say for certain it went up, or does the shape of the touring screen also widen the bubble or modify the airflow other ways, I can't really say. It did help with buffeting but I find my Shoei rf1100 is much more whistley with the modified airflow than when it's fully in it. I'm 5'11'', stock seat, no bar risers. The wind now hits me somewhere in the visor range to forehead, but definitely above the chin vent.

RF1100-SEVER-2-TC1.jpg

I agree placing a hand under the helmet helps with noise, as does when I wear my thin under armour balaclava inside the helmet. It helps take up that air space in the helmet is my best guess as it isn't thick enough to add that much sound insulation.

It still gives me buffeting in the right conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread again because it's the best reference thread for the ZG-ST, IMO. I installed one last year, but didn't ride much for various reasons. One negative side effect is the fairing buzz increased an order of magnitude with the ZG because it's about half the thickness of the OE screen. This causes all manner of higher frequency buzz between the screen and the headlight housing and inner/outer fairing. My solution to this was to sandwich the mount flange of the screen with the loop half of adhesive velcro. The hardest part of this project was carving out the velcro from the mounting holes, but the end result was a phenomenal elimination of any fairing buzz (I did make sure my headlight housing mod was in good condition to keep the main source of low frequency buzz away). The bike is scary quiet at all times now, which produces a completely new riding sensation. Yes, I could have used black velcro, but white is what I had on hand.

I'm 6'3 and the OE screen used to put the wind blast right at the base of my neck, which is the worst place for wind noise. The ZG screen puts the blast at my forehead, which lets the most aerodynamic portion of the helmet do its work and makes things much more quiet. I won't be going back to the stock screen or any other. I have the dark smoke screen and you can see through it below the gauge cluster if you look close, but I don't. Besides, there is no wiring to be seen in that area; I don't know what you guys are talking about there. This screen definitely gives our mundane sleeper bike a great look; I like it.

IMG_20190618_120510.jpg

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did something similar, but only at the lowest points of the "pointed" end. I found the buzz seemed to emanate from where the windscreen sat in the holders in the fairing. I put some round foam tabs for furniture / electronics in the tabs for the fairing to be cushioned in. I'm not sure the fairing was the source of the buzz but if I reached up and held it (before the foam inserts) it did lessen the buzz.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts