RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ohh you know this board has been going so long it just occurred to me we forgot to get the pronunciation right.

It's a Zed R 7 , not Zee R 7
:~ :~ :~

:)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Maybe if your from down under! We speak American, not the Queen's English, up here and it's Z(ee)R-7S.

As they say in Pulp Fiction 'Zed's dead'. :~

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
You know, being and "Americanized" Canadian citizen, I can't believe that "Zee" / "Zed" thing never occurred to me! Good call !:laugh:

Emrah

·
Registered
988 Posts
Well I just asked my daughter, and you are all wrong. It's a Japanese bike so it's pronounced zeddoh ahr-ru sebboon.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Thank you Scott for the translation, now ask her what the translation is for Stan's new FZ-1 (aka, FIZZER). Tom ;)

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Do you listen to Zed Zed Top as well?

Emrah

·
Registered
45 Posts
Damn it - pressed the wrong key or something. Anyway my list was going to be

Aus-wheel nut
USA - lugnut

Aus - bonnet
USA - hood

Aus - windscreen
USA - windshield

Aus - petrol
USA - gas

Aus - biscuit
USA - cookie

Aus - jam
USA - jelly

Aus - jelly
USA - jello

Aus - softdrink
USA - soda

Aus - backside
USA - fanny

Aus - fanny
USA - err female genetalia

Aus - derro
USA - bum

Aus - lay by
USA - raincheck

Aus - chemist shop
USA - drugstore

Aus - behind
USA - in back of

There must be lots more - please add to the list. When we go through all of them can we have a thread on Aussie rhyming slang?
Catch ya on the frog and toad china, gotta go now- the cheese and kisses wants me to take a captain cook at the tin lids as they are feeling butchers.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
you're generalizing, we don't even have the same word for things through the whole US. some places it's soda, some places it's pop, and there are a few where it's soda-pop. then there are places where it's a coke; doesn't matter what flavor, color or who manufactured it, it's just called a coke.

guess this country's big and populated enough for things to go regional. keeps things interesting anyway ;)

scott :)

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
I hear ya about the soda = coke (cola, pepsi, sprite, orange, whatever). Being a Jeep fan and one who actually uses his and goes off road and stuff, it would always irk me when people referred to all 4x4's as "Jeeps". Not that I don't think there are plenty capable 4x4's mind you, they just weren't manufactured by Jeep. "Hey, where'd you park?". "Over by that Jeep". "That's a RAV 4 dude...." :mad:

Emrah

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i'd even take that one a step further. jeep should really only refer to those cute little ones that look like the old army vehicles. i could never adapt to calling cherokees 'jeeps' even though that's who makes them.

scott :)

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I work for GE ( the big US co. ) and I was chatting to one of the visiting head office gals. Here someone who makes a bit of fool of themselves or errs is known as a Goose. Apparently to this southern gal a Goose is something completely diffferent :D :D which is why one the office "he's a goose" trying to date her never stood a chance.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Oh yeah ? Well, many years ago when visiting some friends in Minnesota, I participated in a game of charades (pronounced 'shar...rards').

My task was to convey the word 'Roots' (remember the tele-series?). Needless to say, my miming of humping and bumping was completely lost on my American audience, much to my embarrassment.

:D

·
Registered
660 Posts
Catch ya on the frog and toad china, gotta go now- the cheese and kisses wants me to take a captain cook at the tin lids as they are feeling butchers.
See, it's stuff like this that made them dub Mad Max!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yeah, but did you know he was named "Mad" Max because he had a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock? That is to say, he was a few sandwiches short of a picnic. The lights were on but no-one was home. Not the full deck. Etc, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts