RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most guys here have the Z1000 - I'm on the 750. I was thinking of putting some new springs to improve the suspension instead of doing the big mod with the 636 wheel, rotors, calipers, fork...

Hyperpro sells some quality springs but they're like $500 or something. Does anybody have experience or hearsay with any kind of an alternative, like I was thinking either a similar product or perhaps salvaging some other bike's forks for the springs only and swapping those? - The question is, which bike, since most of the good forks are inverted and those springs would probably not fit.

Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've also heard of Traxion springs but can't locate them anywhere on the web. They also "sound" expensive...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Ohilins makes a set of springs for the Z1000 for around $100

·
Registered
86 Posts
Would the stock z1000 forks be an upgrade to the z750? If so I have a complete set from my bike that I would be willing to sell. z1k forks, 636 triples, z1k brakes, z1k axle with spacers. Maybe your wheel would work off of the z750, IDK. Let me know if you are interested, I would let it go fairly cheap. A whole lot cheaper than the 636 swap anyways.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what problem are you having with the stock front end???
I'm around 225-230 at 6'5" and it seems a little soft lately. It's all right for regular riding but for more aggressive road-carving it jumps around a little too much compared to my 12R.

RENCRN8, I don't know anything about the Z1000 swap. Even with the 636 swap I hear every now and then a few folks reporting some small issues with that conversion. The Z1000 sounds like a long shot although if anyone has done it successfully that would not be a bad idea.

INTHERED, thanks for the tip, that's not a bad price. I'll see if Ohlins also has springs for the 750.

·
Registered
123 Posts
to get a little extra preload out of the stock forks you could replace the stock spacer with a longer peice of pvc that is the same diameter. I dug around alittle and couldnt find any off the shelf springs but
"t r a x x i o n .com" offers customs springs for around $130 bucks, you would need to get the stock spring specs for them to work off of though....

(lose the spaces in the url)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to get a little extra preload out of the stock forks you could replace the stock spacer with a longer peice of pvc that is the same diameter.
On page 345 of the online manual, which one is the stock spacer? The fork spring seat (B) or the collar (C)?

Thanks, I may try Axion also.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I know most guys here have the Z1000 - I'm on the 750. I was thinking of putting some new springs to improve the suspension instead of doing the big mod with the 636 wheel, rotors, calipers, fork...

Hyperpro sells some quality springs but they're like $500 or something. Does anybody have experience or hearsay with any kind of an alternative, like I was thinking either a similar product or perhaps salvaging some other bike's forks for the springs only and swapping those? - The question is, which bike, since most of the good forks are inverted and those springs would probably not fit.

Thanks.
The Hyperpro front springs are only $148, I don't know where you got $500. Racetech sells springs for less, as does ********. I don't think Sonic sells them for our bike.

Springs alone won't do much. Damper rod forks just suck in general. Your damping circuits will still blow and your wheel will still skip. I have the same problem and my sag is set correctly.

The best mod for the stock forks is replacing the internals with the Matris kit. Search for posts on this forum for feedback on riders that have done the Matris replacement.

F05SE cartridge is the one for the Z750S.
http://www.matrisdampers.com/

Another option is getting some Gold Valve Emulators for $135 or so. The ones for the Ninja 650R work in our forks if they don't have a listing for the Z750S. I'm sure the kit number is listed on here somewhere.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
NP - I looked into all this before deciding that I would go with the 636 forks swap to get better brakes as well.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
NP - I looked into all this before deciding that I would go with the 636 forks swap to get better brakes as well.
And you're happy?

- Never mind, I just saw the other post you're on. I hope it gets finished soon and you're happy with the end result. :wink:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Total cost is not done yet.....

still collecting parts.

Got the R6 brakes cheap, forks $150 since I got the silver ones
ZX14 calipers $120
Z1000 triples $255

swap aint done yet.

Still need brake lines, fender, steering stem bearings, and either swap out wheel bearings or get 636 rim for the front, fork springs.

Given the amount of difference the ZX6R rear shock and swingarm made to the ride quality, I expect it to be VERY worth it. I got the bike pretty cheap.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hyperpro is the way to go...!

front springs aren't that expensive, but give a great deal of handling!

For 440 dollar you've got front and back, really makes a differents.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hyperpro is the way to go...!

front springs aren't that expensive, but give a great deal of handling!

For 440 dollar you've got front and back, really makes a differents.
Are you saying that out of patriotism,:swink: or have you tried them?

I have the HP damper, works well.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
if you're patient you can usually snag great deals on ebay. I paid $104 for my forks (636 swap) $50 for calipers, $12 for an axle and I think $25 for hardware. The difference is amazing.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Not from experience: the Race Tech springs sound like a significant upgrade; site sponser Cyclezoo sells the RT gold cartridge upgrade (I did buy their rear shock which kicks; they know what they're doing).

From experience: I reduced 2lbs, 4oz from the front rotating mass via rotors and fasteners. Not been to the track, but the road performance is day/night transformed. And the bling factor's :alcy:

·
Registered
132 Posts
got hyperpo spring on my Z1000 04, not very happy with em

but my friend also has em on Z750 they work great. will put on my wifes Z750 shortly

·
Registered
184 Posts
My Z had uprated for springs when I brought it fitted by the previous owner but they just didn't feel right. Anyway I fitted some Matris fork cartridge inserts and they seem to have made a noticeable improvement.

The cheaper kit which is what I brought costs the same as most spring upgrades while also including pre-load adjustment. The more expensive kit has dampening adjustment.

I'm not a kneedown god, i've never had my knee down, I don't take the Z on the track etc etc. My riding is mainly to and from work, and up and down the motorway visiting the girlfriend, with the forks + 636 shock the bike feels far better and more confident in corners.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts