RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been searching around and I'm having trouble sorting out how best to re-do my front end. Unlike the z1000, the 750 doesn't use an USD fork and there isn'e enough metal to machine out enough room to take a 636, ZX-10R or GSXR fork. So we pretty much need to replace the triple clamp. The Z1000 triples almost never show up on ebay and when the do they are $$$$ (supply and demand, right?)

Couple problems/solutions as I see it:

1) Stem length and bearings. From KZrider I understand a good machine shop can press out a stem and press it back into another triple clamp. (I'm no machinest but with proper shims and weldings it shouldn't be terribly difficult, as is suggested in their forums). The bearings shouldn't be a problem as they fit over the our original recycled stem. Right?

2) Steering stops: stops can be ground off and new ones put in place if they don't line up on our head tube/frame. Right?

3) Axle width and length: Bushings have been used to address the slightly narrower 750 axle, but if the transplant triple sets the forks much further apart does the axel length become a problem?

4) Brake rotors: How does one deal with the lining up of the 750 rotors to the new radially mounted calipers? No clue on this one

5) Front headlight assembly. As the z1000/z750 headlight assembly bolts to the top triple how could one adapt another triple to take the front cowl?

6) Need new brake lines as radially mounted calipers are likely further away that the originals. Easy fix as I plan to get some custom SS lines made up.

As you can tell I don't have all the answers, but what I'm wondering is: are these the problems I'd come across and will they PITA factor outweigh just breaking the bank and paying market price for the rare Z1000 triple when they come up.

Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi,

Don't know if this will help, but i've used the Z1000 triples for my front end swap (GSX-R1000k5). The best thing is that everything will almost be a direct fit.
The steering stop is spot on. So is the stem and bearings and not to forget the ignition (Be aware of wich model year you have because of imobilizer). The faring (Z750 not S) won't be a bolt on, but a simple bracket do the trick.
And on my setup the calipers and discs lined up perfectly with my homemade spacers/bushings which made me able to use the Z750 axle and wheel.
I think it is worth the money if you want it to be perfect and look good too.

As you mentioned you can get most machine shops to do the stem swap which enables you to use almost any triples you want. But then i don't know about alignment of discs etc.
My guess is that most other Kawasaki triples will work when it comes to offsetting the forks for the caliber/brake alignment and axle length to work.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I got a set of triples(yolks)with the 636 b1h front forks and was about to go down the road of using them due to the long wait for z1k triples,which i did manage to get eventually but as the stem is the same as z1k&z750...i was going to make a bracket for the headlight cowl to fit ,grind the lock stops off as they differ,and drill through the bottom yolk& fit bolts to act as lock stops,the ignition housing is on the opposite side and the wireing will reach but you loose your little plastic cockpit thingy.the forks are 27mm longer than z750 so you have that to fit a set of clip ons to... seems a lot but the upside is there is a massive weight difference in the yolks and there easy and cheap to get hold of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts