RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All

Got a Z750 2004 and looking to upgrade the front forks. After a lot of reading and research I found that I can use the ZX6E '97 forks which are cartridge forks in order to upgrade my front. I bought the forks on the bay at a very good price along with the ZX6E axle.

Over the weekend I tried to fit them on using the z750 spacers but realized the wheel was not centered. I found that the ZX6E is using a spacer on one side and the speedo drive which doubles as a spacer on the other. I assume that the speedo driver and the spacer are not the same length as the bottoms are at an offset. I believe 5mm but not 100% sure.

Has anyone done this mod? what size spacers you used?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
I

·
Registered
142 Posts
Do you have a set of calipers you can use to measure the thickness of the speedo drive? If the wheels aren't the same width that will also mess up the spacers lengths. Are you going to have to change your brake calipers as well? Good luck with the mod.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I do not have the speedo drive to measure it up.

The spacers with the z750 forks are 24mm long. I fitted everything together with the zx6e forks and measured the distance between the wheels and the forks and the wheel is 2mm towards the size where the speedo used to be when they were on the zx6e. I am going to make new spacers. One 22mm and the other 26mm long to recenter the wheel. Otherwise the forks fit perfect the same with the callipers. I use the callipers off a z1000 as they got the bolt spacing of the zx6e forks.

But was looking for someone who had done this mod before to offer a bit of help and possibly confirm the spacer lengths.

Will give it a try and if it works will upload pics and a guide.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys the mod worked and feels like I am driving a different bike.

Have attached couple of pics will upload better ones tomorrow.

The forks fitted on without a problem.

Parts used:
-Zx6e 1997 forks and front axle £40 off the bay
-Z1000 callipers £50 off the same place
-z1000 break braided lines £20 nearly new off a friend.
- 2 axle spacers made my self. Will upload drawings
-2 calliper bolt spacers as the callipers use m8 bolts but forks m10 but that depends on the callipers you use.

Everything came together nicely and I am very pleased with the result.

The new axle spacers are different than the z750 spacers because. The zx6e left and right forks haven't got the same spacing because of the front mounted speedo on this models.

The right left fork is 2mm offset.

So I made two spacers one 22mm long and the other 26mm long to recenter the wheel.

Hope this helps if you thinking of upgrading your front.

Let me know if you need any more info.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393360076.372470.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393360090.056802.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
That looks like a nice alternative to the Z1k or ZX6R fork upgrade. What kind of adjustability do those forks have? I'm finishing up a ZX6R fork upgrade right now on my Z750S.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are cartridge forks and they got preload and damping adjustability.

If you meant the range these can be adjusted I don't know as I haven't had the time to play with them yet.

I was thinking of the zx6r upgrade but buying the triples would cost me a fortune. Saying that I just saw the forks, lower triple, fender and axle off a z1000 on the bay for £150 but when I was researching could not find anything close to that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The ZX6R F model forks are fully adjustable were as the E model I am pretty sure is only preload and rebound adjustment.
I have the F model forks (and Z1000 calipers) that I intend to bolt up to my 2006 Z750S.
I have not begun any of the work yet but am sure I am going to have the same spacer issue as you did with these forks.
My other concern will be the front fender.
If I could locate one I would just go with a 96-97 F model front fender.

·
Registered
14 Posts
yeah, I found one on Ebay here in the US for $65.00.
Wrong color but is in very good shape.
Now I need to get the spaces done up and the cartridge kit installed with the stiffer fork springs.

·
Registered
906 Posts
> I can use the ZX6E '97 forks which are cartridge forks

Those aren't remotely cartridge forks - they are just as ****ty damper rod-based. What you want are the ZX6F forks. They have a pronounced boss under the brake calipers for the compression adjustment needle.

Much easier to just transplant the 6F uppers and guts into Z750 fork lowers. Don't have to change anything external.

·
Registered
23 Posts
> I can use the ZX6E '97 forks which are cartridge forks

Those aren't remotely cartridge forks - they are just as ****ty damper rod-based. What you want are the ZX6F forks. They have a pronounced boss under the brake calipers for the compression adjustment needle.

Much easier to just transplant the 6F uppers and guts into Z750 fork lowers. Don't have to change anything external.
Won't you loose the ability to adjust the compression externally doing this?
Plus you are still stuck with the crappy stock front brakes. using the Z750 lowers

·
Registered
906 Posts
Won't you loose the ability to adjust the compression externally doing this?
Plus you are still stuck with the crappy stock front brakes. using the Z750 lowers
Well, yes. If you want to use the 6F lowers then you have to navigate the hassle and mine-field of replacement fenders, wheel, axle, speedo pickup (?), and spacers and so on. External compression adjustment isn't worth much even if you spend a lot of time at the track.

I'm not convinced the 750's brakes are all *that* bad - get better rotors and shoe compound and that's pretty much alleviated. Or make/buy a caliper bracket and slap on some donor 4-pots. It's not like people dive-bomb into corners at 160mph...

The Z750's biggest letdown is suspension. Using just the guts and upper tubes of the -6F fixes the problem in the simplest, cheapest, and fastest way possible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree on the stock rotors.
I had EBC' rotors and used Versah pads on my first Z750S and the brakes were so much better than on my current Z using Galfer sinterd metallic pads on the stock rotors
The feel and modulation of them is lacking to say the least.

You make it sound like it is a direct drop in but the bolts for securing the damper/upper tubes are a different size aren't they?

What would you need to do this conversion?
I have three sets of 6F forks but only three straight upper tubes and an extra set of Z750S lowers.
I would like to have one good set of 6F forks as spares so do you have one straight upper tube?

·
Registered
906 Posts
You make it sound like it is a direct drop in but the bolts for securing the damper/upper tubes are a different size aren't they?

I have three sets of 6F forks but only three straight upper tubes and an extra set of Z750S lowers.
I would like to have one good set of 6F forks as spares so do you have one straight upper tube?
I didn't say no-mod drop in, now did I...Just no external changes needed. The likelihood of the Z750 cartridge bolt being the same diameter and pitch of the 6F is pretty slim. But no worry, I (or your local machine shop) can make a replacement bolt and corresponding cartridge base. I've got several already made up since I've done many an SV and 650R like this.

Why wouldn't you just use 2 of the 3 straight 6F tubes and leave the odd man out as the spare? I have multiple sets of 6F forks but I'd rather not break a set without good cause.

I don't know what the inner floor of the Z750 fork looks like nor how thick it is but the bolts I have made up should be fine. If you're going to do it, by all means tear the cartridges apart, clean and revalve and if you have the silly, restrictive piston orifices, drill them out for better flow characteristics.

Or PM and we can discuss pricing to ship me your bits and I ship you back ready to ride (or dry if you really want) forks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can you install the cartridges from the 6F forks into the Z750S stock fork tubes?
I checked and the fork caps are the same thread pitch and size.
The lower leg does need to be modified to accept the larger bolt that secures the cartridge assembly at the bottom too.
The lowers

I am in the same boat as I do not want to break up the one good set of 6F forks I have and am very close to having everything I need to do the swap.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Can you install the cartridges from the 6F forks into the Z750S stock fork tubes?
Tough to say. Do the fork caps thread ALL the way in?

The lower leg does need to be modified to accept the larger bolt that secures the cartridge assembly at the bottom too.
THAT ain't happening. That's a mod you can never recover from. And it's not trivial to mount an 18" long leg which I'm sure isn't concentric at the one end and drill the necessary hole, straight and on-center. A mill would be the easiest way but I don't have one with that kind of clearance. Not to mention the head on said bolt may not fit the Z750 recess, and even more importantly, there is no provision in the floor of the Z750 lower for the compression bleed circuit to go anywhere even if you totally don't care about being able to adjust it.

All of that is precisely WHY I make my own bolts, a matching cartridge "base", and if needed a cartridge tube seat to get elevation off the floor so there's a place for the oil to go.

If you're that invested in doing a complete front-end swap, then by all means have at it. I personally prefer to keep the hassle and expense to a minimum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you're that invested in doing a complete front-end swap, then by all means have at it. I personally prefer to keep the hassle and expense to a minimum.
Since I have everything except the spacers I need to get the wheel centered I am going to stick with the 6F fork swap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts