RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and nice to meet you, first post here.

So, i was riding my beloved last night and noticed that the oil light was on. Didnt remember to see it on at start of the trip , but noticed it was on after riding for about 30-40 minutes. Strange thing for me was that it wasnt full power on,just flickering like the electricity was dying or something, but getting stronger over time. Scared as i was i stopped to a gas station, grabbed some oil (10-40, same brand as i used during summer when i changed the oil) and added a bit. Started her up, first couple of seconds was fine, when temp hit 70C the light turned slowly on . Again not full power but powering up gradually. Today i went for another ride, and same thing happened. Also it seems to be too hot, 70-75 on highway speeds, 100-105 in traffic, with 10C outside. Any ideas? Cooling system is full, oil level is maxed. I bought new oils and oil filter which i will be changing in the morning.

·
Registered
155 Posts
How long since the last oil change and what kind of filter do you have? I've heard of some automotive oil filters causing the oil light to come on

·
Registered
4 Posts
Most likely you have to burp the oil filter. You crack open the oil filter just a tad and you will hear air escape. Then you should be good to go. This is common in the N1K.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
When the light is flickering or half on like you indicated or inconsistently on I would suspect an electrical issue. Your bike is old enough that it's time to go through all the connectors and wiring to make sure nothing is corroded or grungy and still fits snugly together. And check that all the chassis/engine grounds are nice and shiny and tight.

*USUALLY*: All the oil light is is a line connected to a pressure switch that's normally closed and connected to ground. Under pressure it opens the switch and turns off the light. Check the connectors and the wiring to see they are clean and making good contact and also none of the insulation is rubbed off on the wiring.

It's possible the oil pressure switch itself has gone faulty, easy to check if you have a meter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts