RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. New member from Sweden. I own a z1000sx from 2014. My bike have full exhaust with high flow mufflers and K&N airfilter with airbox mod (drilled holes 4 per each side see picture) I have also run a full dyno and remap of the bike and results landed in 142hp on rear wheel and 123nm in torque.

My question is : is this airbox mod bad? My friend says it's very bad and that the engine gets warm air from the engine through the holes and that the holes are ruined the air dynamics from factory. Is that true?

I'm planning on buying a new airbox so I can run a non airbox mod but I just wanted to hear if that is necessary or if a can run this setup I have now.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
It's not uncommon for folks to mod the air box when doing exhaust, high flow filters or jet kits on carburated bikes.

The only downsides I can see are the possible ability for more water to set sucked in when riding in those type of conditions.

They were designed at the factory to perform a certain way with all stock components and air/fuel settings. Once you start adjusting things that's not always the best anymore.

As for sucking in warmer engine air, theoretically that's possible. Colder aid will always give more HP, but I'd think the temperature difference is negligible between the holes and the OEM intake position.

As for aerodynamics, I don't think how the outside air flows around the box / bike will have any significant difference. Yes it will change any pattern there may have been inside, but again I don't think it's an issue. As far as I know there never was any special swirl or vortex pattern the air box was designed to make when stock. It was more to hold the filter, prevent water ingress into the air box, and likely to provide a certain amount of back pressure. (possibly for optimum stock air/fuel ratios, and any vacuum or PAIR (emissions) systems on older bikes.)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If you were in the US, I'd swap you my stock airbox!

I plan on modding mine since i'm going to a full system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts