RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 z750. 06 z1000 triples 06 636 forks.will the zx14(06) front wheel work???. Also...with clamps installed..no forks in..how tight should they be when u move them by hand..? Any hhelp is greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
709 Posts
The ZX14 wheel is the same as a 10r wheel. So with you using 636 forks there should be no issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool i like the look of the zx wheel. And while putting it on I noticed movement of the forks in the triples seems its coming from the lower triple bearing. When I put the triples on I originaly felti had them to tight becuz the stiffened up and were hard to turn. Think they need tightened I realy cant see the lower bearing being bad its off an 03 z1000 cant see it having tomany miles on it. Exactly how tight should the clamps be in the steering head. ?

·
Registered
120 Posts
your front end...

:nono:

OK... lets try and keep this simple... I understand, and highly agree with your decision, to upgrade, front forks, etc on your bike...

BUT! Without knowing more info...like did you change out bearing outer races, etc... it is almost impossible to really give you a definitive answer... if you did... then, did you press it in? hammer ? etc etc etc... same with uppers bearings... moving on...

IF both outer races are/were fully seated, b4 you installed the triples.... then, there is a specific setting, as far as how much to tighten the nuts on the top triple clamps, as specified in the manual... which you can download. I dont wanna see anyone get hurt, or mess up their bike... so... you REALLY need to look up the proper setting, in the manual... it wont take you too long, and could save your life!

"FEELS too tight"... etc... tells me, you have no idea, if you are even close, and, this is a critical point, in your front end. PLEASE, for your sake... at least download the manual, and buy, beg or borrow a torque wrench, proper tools, etc, before you call the job finished and a done deal or ask someone to help.... PLEASE! Also... understand, I am not trying to be a smartazz... I am hoping to help keep you alive, and riding! Good luck, and, I know there are many people on here, who can and will help you out. Dont be afraid to ask...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate your concern and fullly understand how Important it is for this to be done right. I Reused all my original bearings becuz they only had three thousand miles on them. Races were reused also. After some work lastnight.i beleave the culpret for the(play) was the lower bearing that originaly I had not replaced that came with my 03 z1000 lower triple from ebay..no way of knowing how many miles or the stress that Was put on that Bearing. After replacing it and tightining evrything back together..everything is solid .no play top or bottom and I feel very comfortable with it now. Ill check on the manual. And I want to swap for tapered bearings in the future. I am a little concerened about the 636 forks being longer. Ive placed them an inch over the upper tripple as this seems to be the starting point for all the builds ive researched. I went with zx 14 rotors r6 calipers. Evrything looks great and is solid. A few short run fairly hard stops (in full gear!) and ill check all the bolts and its off with the wheel for a new tire and balance.i love my Z. I cringe at dust on it and I refuse to down the low mile kawi and harm that spark metalic pant OR myself becuz of an error on my part. Im actualy a fairly new street rider having grown up on dirt tires and being in OKC feel intimidated by the busy roads and interstates with all the people crashing each other while on ther Cell phones,lol..but as ive read on rider forums..be defensive and it takes time. My Z forks were bent badly was the whole reason I decided to upgrade. Its been a long process.time ,money.as in little of either..but its a passion of mine. Again. Thankyou for your help.rider forums is great. Bikes almost done and now..its getting cold. Hey..do Z and 636 share the same basic footpeg, lower shifter/brake levers??? I hate my fat gel filled stock pegs and want more adjustment on the lower shift/brake levers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate your concern and fullly understand how Important it is for this to be done right. I Reused all my original bearings becuz they only had three thousand miles on them. Races were reused also. After some work lastnight.i beleave the culpret for the(play) was the lower bearing that originaly I had not replaced that came with my 03 z1000 lower triple from ebay..no way of knowing how many miles or the stress that Was put on that Bearing. After replacing it and tightining evrything back together..everything is solid .no play top or bottom and I feel very comfortable with it now. Ill check on the manual. And I want to swap for tapered bearings in the future. I am a little concerened about the 636 forks being longer. Ive placed them an inch over the upper tripple as this seems to be the starting point for all the builds ive researched. I went with zx 14 rotors r6 calipers. Evrything looks great and is solid. A few short run fairly hard stops (in full gear!) and ill check all the bolts and its off with the wheel for a new tire and balance.i love my Z. I cringe at dust on it and I refuse to down the low mile kawi and harm that spark metalic pant OR myself becuz of an error on my part. Im actualy a fairly new street rider having grown up on dirt tires and being in OKC feel intimidated by the busy roads and interstates with all the people crashing each other while on ther Cell phones,lol..but as ive read on rider forums..be defensive and it takes time. My Z forks were bent badly was the whole reason I decided to upgrade. Its been a long process.time ,money.as in little of either..but its a passion of mine. Again. Thankyou for your help.rider forums is great. Bikes almost done and now..its getting cold. Hey..do Z and 636 share the same basic footpeg, lower shifter/brake levers??? I hate my fat gel filled stock pegs and want more adjustment on the lower shift/brake levers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts