RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got a 2003 Kawasaki z1000 for my 17th birthday. So far i love this bike. But i want more. and i have been looking around at different websites just to see what i could do with this bike. I have seen a lots of different things done to this bike but no really seems to give a good explanation of what exactly has been done for a given mod to work. So i wanted to know ad talk about different mods people have done to there z's.
What i'm wondering is:

Swingarms? Single sided?
suspension mods/upgrades?
Engine mods?
Other performance mods?
Integrated turn signals?
Wheels?
And anything else that might be nice to do to my z.

·
Registered
252 Posts
What do you want to do with it?

Unless you are racing, all performance mods are not needed, except for bragging rights, and it would take a lot of expensive mods for a 2003 to keep up with several stock 2016 superbikes, especially bikes with cornering ABS and electronic ride modes for more safety going fast.

Most enjoy an improved suspension and a better seat, even though you are unlikely to get this money back when you sell it- you can save the old parts and sell the new ones separately for more money back. A louder exhaust is just a long drill bit away, and you can plug any drill holes with self-tapping bolts to sell it or if you get tired of the extra noise. Maybe get a lighter battery when the old one dies.

My advice is to save most of your money for training and as many gallons of fuel, track days if desired, and nights in motel rooms or at campsites as possible, and when you get tired of this bike buy something nicer- especially if you can wait and save your money until your insurance costs start to drop as you are older.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I thought about selling it but i can't. Just because the bike is a part of my family and i have been around it since i was 3. Also after riding i really feel in love with my z. As for what i want to do with it, i would like to have some more performance even if it won't out run newer bikes. I don't really want to be racing anyone. I kinda want it to be a "show peace" if you will. i want it to perform great, look great, and just be fun to ride.

·
Registered
252 Posts
For a showbike, custom paint and smaller turn signals, and a better looking seat and exhaust would be nice.

Some spend a lot for a turbo or supercharger for both looks and power, or forged or carbon fiber wheels that are worth as much as the rest of their used bike- a lot of cash spent for a bike that is a showbike, instead of a racer in a class that allows these.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Zx6 forks and rear shock Nissan brakes PCV with autotune zx9 cams with zx10 throttle bodies pod filters sprocket chamge those are pretty much the basic mods for these bikes. Swingarms require a lot of fabricating not that's it's impossible or really that hard usually zx6 arms or vfr single sides have been done. Zx6 subframe can be made to fit to shave a few pounds off. The mods aren't cheap but you end up with a fun bike that is different than everything else

·
Registered
155 Posts
03-04 forks axle and front wheel are the easiest swap just use the Z upper and lower triple trees. Later use different wheel and fenders. First gen Zx14 front brakes and a lot of stopping power vs the old zx6 calipers. Think the zx6 shocks swap in easy just need a little filing on a spacer. I went with a Zx14 since it's heavier sprung. Any zx9 cam from 98 up will work just needs the Z cam sensor added the later ones are supposed to be better tho. Also have to use the zx9 valve springs. 06-07 zx10 throttle bodies are almost a direct swap the older ones will work but requires a lot of work. 09-13 zx6 pcV with autotune are plug and play if you want to go used to save a couple hundred dollars. The most you can easily get out of these engines is around 135hp suspension and brakes are the big things to upgrade and gearing can make them more fun around town

1 - 8 of 8 Posts