RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hey kawtoy, this is the 2nd time I've read that you run 87. I'm no mechanic but, are you sure that's o.k.? I thought there was something to do with possible knocking and pinging of the motor if not run with proper minimum octane.
I do know for a fact that you will get better mileage with higher octane and you may save yourself a whole lotta money in the long run....
I used to run 93, and ran Sunoco 110 (once) and saw no difference in mileage. My bike has never knocked or pinged, power wheelies on command, and was still pulling like a freight train at indicated 130+ Higher Octane didn't warrant anything except handing the cashier at the gas station more of my hard earned dollars. No disrespect meant, but its perfectly fine, and if I thought it was bad for the bike wouldn't use it. Kawasaki manufactured my machine to run perfectly on 87 octane, so that is what I put in it..... Have for years, and at 18,000 it still runs like a champ!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Had the bike for a couple months, 2500mi on 87 (as per the manual :D ), runs perfect. No pinging or knocking, and pulls strong at any rpm.

It's ridiculous to put a higher grade just for the higher grade.

I do put some gas with cleaning agents every so often. It so happens that it's 94 octane, but I only use it for the alleged cleaning action.

When I put a pipe and PC3, I will be watchful, and use appropriate octane rating. But bone stock, manual says 87, I use 87.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Why is this a matter of debate?

Owner's manual says 91 RON minimum.

US gasoline with a pump octane number of 87 has RON of 91 or more.

I'm going to start a rumor that repacking your mufflers with shredded $100 bills prevents alien abductions. Because it makes as much sense as putting premium gasoline in a motor that doesn't pre-detonate on regular unleaded. It's added expense to prevent something that wasn't going to happen anyway.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Octane ratings are a means of ranking a fuel's ability to resist premature ignition and/or detonation. This is typically an issue only with [1] high compression engines (11:1 or higher is a good baseline, although other factors such as squish/quench and combustion chamber design also come into play), or [2] air-cooled engines (which tend to run hotter).

The bottom line is this: higher octane numbers do not represent that a fuel stores more energy or burns cleaner. Higher octane numbers represent only the fuel's resistance to preignition or detonation due to localized hot spots in the chamber or high compression.

THAT IS ALL.

Some of you guys are like the :stooges:.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Had the bike for a couple months, 2500mi on 87 (as per the manual :D ), runs perfect. No pinging or knocking, and pulls strong at any rpm.

It's ridiculous to put a higher grade just for the higher grade.

I do put some gas with cleaning agents every so often. It so happens that it's 94 octane, but I only use it for the alleged cleaning action.

When I put a pipe and PC3, I will be watchful, and use appropriate octane rating. But bone stock, manual says 87, I use 87.
Really no need after that even. I have a PCIII on mine and had Muzzy's slip ons for awhile.... you can still run the 87 no problem. :righton:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I use 93 most of th e time and have never used lower then 92. Both my bikes love Sheetz 93.

G

·
high octane

High octane unfortanately has less energy than low octain fuel. So the key is to increase octain without decreasing energy output. Oil mixed with gasoline does that but unfortunately it also tends to foul the spark plugs. A trick, (if you can call it that), is to add a bit of kerosene or diesel fuel to your gas. Both have higher energy levels than straight gas and have a higher octain level. I do this in the summer months as 92 octain pings in 100 degree weather in utah. I only add about a half cup per tank but it does make a difference.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I run 91+ when i plan on spraying my 30 shot as a way to effectively retard the timing. However, 87 in the bike without the spray is awesome. I swear it is faster. No dyno results but it would be cool to know. My bike made 131rwhp on 93 octane. I have an 03. Never any pinging issues.

·
Registered
204 Posts
High octane unfortanately has less energy than low octain fuel.
This is absolutely true, but only by a slight amount proportional to the difference in octane numbers.

A trick, (if you can call it that), is to add a bit of kerosene or diesel fuel to your gas. Both have higher energy levels than straight gas and have a higher octain level.
I do not know about kerosene, but it is incorrect that diesel has a higher octane level as gas. Diesel is made to self combust. Diesel is rated by what is called a cetane number which is inversely proportional to the octane number. I do not know how mixing diesel and gas effects your engine though.

By the way, I learned all of this in an Internal Combustion Engines class in college.

G

·
Diesel and kerosene octane rating

Duanew, you are right. I checked the octane rating for diesel and they estimate between 15 and 25 octane??? I could not find kerosene but it probably has similar properties. I guess my percieved no knock by adding kerosene is a figment of my hullucination. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
when I bought my bike the little sticker on the gas tank said no lower than 91 or cause engine failur or some bs like that. 91 is the highest I can get in this state (maine). but I try to keep driving with shell in it just for the reason that its the cheapest, closest, "and contains hydrogen ..... to keep your valves clean). do I believe it or not. Im not convinced.
But when it comes down to it isnt the whole reason the manual says to use a certain octaine have reasoning? Like ummmm ignition timing?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Duanew, you are right. I checked the octane rating for diesel and they estimate between 15 and 25 octane??? I could not find kerosene but it probably has similar properties. I guess my percieved no knock by adding kerosene is a figment of my hullucination. Thanks for the information.
diesel has a cetane rating instead of an octane rating.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, everyone, can we let this thread die already for gods sake!? run whatever you want and don't worry about other peoples stuff. :jerkit:

41 - 60 of 60 Posts