RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
axil said:
The octane rating system is different in the US and other parts of world. I'm not sure what 87 octane US translates to in Brisbane.
Its the same system of rating fuel (RON), although I've never seen anything under RON 91 in Oz. I used to run 98 which is a waste on the Zed, now I run 95 as a compromise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I'll quit trying to save people money. Just wanted to help :D

You can't argue with the math/science behind it. It is all in your head if you believe higher octance fuels are "better." The marketing weasels have got to you, and no amount of logic can change you once you're under their spell.

One thing to remember is this conversation only refers to a stock or mostly stock Z1000. Other bikes will have different compression ratios, timing advancment, etc. So while your friend might need to run a 91 or 93, the Zed is engineered to run at its peak efficiency on 87 octane fuel.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm not big on marketing hype. Just because it costs me $0.10 a litre more does NOT mean it's any better for my bike.
For the reasons stated several times above, it's doing nothing but costing more and potentially compromising the performance of the engine.
I only run regular unleaded in mine (87). If the people who designed, engineered and manufactured the bike only want me to run 87, then I'm not going to argue with them. Those people know alot more about my bike than the people I ride with or some of the gullible people on the internet.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I know a big reason most people run higher octane is because of the manual rating in RON. I had an hour long argument with some local riders here after I filled up with 87, and they told me Id ruin my engine cuase the manual says it needs 91. So I guess you could say its stupidity mostly, or maybe not stupidity, but rather lack of knowledge when it comes to fuel ratings. But then that can be attributed to the manufacturer printing a manual that doesnt clearly state fuel grade for the area you are in (eg US, Europe, etc). They could at least put a conversion chart with both types of ratings....

Funny thing about that argument was they were all complaining about the cost of filling up and having to use the higher octane. Guess how many actually went back and looked at their manuals and switched to lower octane? None.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't have a z1000 anymore but I do have the 10r

The last page of my manual (label information)shows two small labels that are on the bike,one of them specifys fuel octane. The one above my gas cap states: Important use 90+ octane gasoline only (ron+mon/2) Caution use minimum of 90+ octane only to prevent severe engine damage

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yep, the ZX10 requires the high stuff, but not the Z. Two completely different beasts. The ZX10 makes a few more ponies than the Z1000. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 more ponies from just 40 someodd cc's. I'd say the 10 is in a higher state of tune. :righton:

·
Registered
111 Posts
oryanquest said:
I don't have a z1000 anymore but I do have the 10r

The last page of my manual (label information)shows two small labels that are on the bike,one of them specifys fuel octane. The one above my gas cap states: Important use 90+ octane gasoline only (ron+mon/2) Caution use minimum of 90+ octane only to prevent severe engine damage

yeah I thought it may help to chime in with this info but kinda comparing apples and oranges I guess. Its interesting how they state clearly in the 10r manual what to use for recommended fuel here in the US. It seems one has to be a bit more saavy with the z1000's recomendation.

Incidently although it's not required I use super in my Toyota pickup and I noticed that when on occasion I put 87 octane in her she pings alot. I prefer the super as a little insurance, I suppose the marketing hypes got me but swear I think it burns better as pinging,knocking is not a good sound for any engine.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
kawamania said:
i will continue to use 93 and i would be willing to bet truth be told more burn higher octane then lower octane. no one that i ride with burns 87 to each there own .and i do stand corrected it does not say 93 in owners manual sorry
Well, as you said, "to each their own",but, you are risking engine damage, not preventing it. There have been two cases of engines loosing copression due to carbon build up on valves from using too high of octane. Nobody has run into problems from loosing too low of octane. I too used to run premium, but when I saw my mechanic running 87 in his ZED, I checked the manual and then switch over.

As to the other bikes, it all depends what bike your friends ride. The R1's, Zx10's and such run higher compression than the Z1000 and specify a higher octane.

Z1000 needs 87 octane in US (RON+MON)/2

Z1000 only needs 91 RON overseas

For those guys running on the track, lower octane fuels typically have more energy, especially if they are compared to oxygenated higher octane grades.

I have the feeling this is going to wind up just like an oil debate

·
Registered
670 Posts
speedwoble said:
I have the feeling this is going to wind up just like an oil debate
I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to mention oil. :boxing: :killingme

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
2nsane said:
I have alway's run 91 in my bike accept the time I ran some 92 when I first got my bike up in Oregon Ca does not have the good 92+ stuff just their own crappy concoxion 91. I remember seing that there were a few guy's on here using 87 and just wanted to let everyone know that I finaly found it and we should be using the 91 or better as it say's in the OwnersManual. 91min
Dude, we're running 87 because we know what the manual says, and we know the difference between RON and (RON+MON)/2

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
speedwoble said:
but, you are risking engine damage, not preventing it. There have been two cases of engines loosing copression due to carbon build up on valves from using too high of octane. Nobody has run into problems from loosing too low of octane.
You make an interesting point there - 95 RON is the lowest rating fuel here, but the handbook does still list 91.

I wonder whether big K has done anything to make allowances for the local juice??

·
Registered
272 Posts
we were on a ride and almost out of juice ,finally found a station , they only had reg. ,I couldn't tell the difference....reg.gas makes the most power the higher octanes contain pre detantion addatives..anyway we have **** gas here in Ct. 10% MTBE ,the Z and my 12r still never miss a beat on it ..I put a little shot of fi cleaner and a little mystery oil in the tank also ,the gas is so dry...just my two cents...

·
Registered
493 Posts
speednut said:
we were on a ride and almost out of juice ,finally found a station , they only had reg. ,I couldn't tell the difference....reg.gas makes the most power the higher octanes contain pre detantion addatives..anyway we have **** gas here in Ct. 10% MTBE ,the Z and my 12r still never miss a beat on it ..I put a little shot of fi cleaner and a little mystery oil in the tank also ,the gas is so dry...just my two cents...
is the mystery oil ZX1 fricton eliminator

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead.....buttttt

I have started running 105 octane in my bike. I can tell a big difference, there is a lot more power. My buddy says he"ll data log it to let me know for sure. But it also smells good ! hahaha

·
Registered
929 Posts
Run whatever you think will put you down the road, I run 87, b/c I don't like wasting money.... :2cents:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hey kawtoy, this is the 2nd time I've read that you run 87. I'm no mechanic but, are you sure that's o.k.? I thought there was something to do with possible knocking and pinging of the motor if not run with proper minimum octane.
I do know for a fact that you will get better mileage with higher octane and you may save yourself a whole lotta money in the long run....

21 - 40 of 60 Posts