RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is 91 I was going threw my Owners's manual today looking for a exact # and found it on page 25 under emission control information.

so now we have a exact number we can use so if the dealer ever asks what kind of fuel your using say super ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
do you not use the hightest stuff??? I refuse anything but the 93 shiot at the gas station. When on the track i run 103 cause it helps, i think?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have alway's run 91 in my bike accept the time I ran some 92 when I first got my bike up in Oregon Ca does not have the good 92+ stuff just their own crappy concoxion 91. I remember seing that there were a few guy's on here using 87 and just wanted to let everyone know that I finaly found it and we should be using the 91 or better as it say's in the OwnersManual. 91min

·
Registered
313 Posts
My owners manual says 87. RON is not the number posted on the pump. It is an average of Research Octane Number(RON) and Motor Octane Number(MON). Just to clear things up. You can run anything you want but mine runs just fine on 87. I'm not trying to be a Pain just trying to educate. Cheers :alcy:

*Edited*

Please don't post copy righted material. Thanks!

Sorry :doh

·
Registered
670 Posts
The octane rating system is different in the US and other parts of world. I'm not sure what 87 octane US translates to in Brisbane.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Octane has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel. 87 octane isn't crappier than 93 octane, etc. The numbers represent an anti-knock index, with lower numbers being less resistant to premature detonation. You are wasting your money by putting in higher octane fuel when it isn't needed.

It's a common misconception that higher octane fuel is cleaner or more powerful than lower octane fuel. It is actually harder to ignite inside the engine. That's why it is more resistant to knocking.

Anything over 87 octane in a Z1000 is like burning money.

Here's a good link

http://www.answers.com/topic/octane-rating-1

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The rating system here may be different, but our fuel choices are:

Diesel - haven't tried this in the bike yet, and don't intend to...
95 unleaded - regular bike juice
98 unleaded - haven't bothered although my ducati ran MUCH better on it
LRP - Lead Replacement Petrol for older engines.

95 unleaded is the regular bike fluid...

·
Registered
30 Posts
95 octane in the UK is RON only. In the U.S. the octane on the pump, and the one that everyone refers to, whether they know it or not is Research Octane Number + Motor Octane Number divided by 2.

(RON+MON)/2

This equals the Pump Octane Number.

Your 95 octane is actually 91 octane here for the same exact fuel.

Here is a chart that I stole that gives a general breakdown.

PON is the number used in the U.S.

RON MON PON
90 83 86.6
92 85 88.5
95 87 91
96 88 92
98 90 94
100 91.5 95.8
105 95 100
110 99 104.5

·
Registered
95 Posts
unless you are running anything modified (++ compression or nos) or have your ignition timing altered, you should run the lowest octane possible without pre-detonation. The lower octane fuels burn faster and cleaner in your combustion chambers. The higher octane fuels are harder to combust prematurely (thats why you use them) and hence burn slower and tend to leave more carbon buildup on the valves and cyllinders when used in applications that do not require such resistance to detonation. I've seen severeal times where certain bikes/cars make MORE horsepower on 87 pump gas than 91/93 pump gas (oxygenated race fuels are a different story however). It all has to do with what your engine is designed to run on. My zed owners manual says 87, thats what i run in it and it runs flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
how can one say 87 my zed says high octane only 91 or higher i have never seen a sport bike that recomends 87 octane, even my dirts bikes and atv are recomended for high octane and i do see a difference in performance but to each there own

·
Registered
30 Posts
Kawamania read the previous posts and check the link I put up. The 91 octane the manual states is RON only. The formula on pumps in the U.S. and the number you are refering to is (RON+MON)/2=PON.

The PON is the octane reference used in the U.S. and 87 PON is equal to 91 RON, hence the confusion.

If you have no major modifications, i.e. higher compression ratio, you shouldn't have to use anything other than 87 octane in your Zed. Higher octane fuels aren't cleaner, aren't more powerful, aren't better, they are just harder to ignite.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The Z1000 is designed to run on 87. Like pcn said you are just throwing your money away if you use anything more expensive. Higher octane gasolines are not better, just different. My Z runs just fine on the 87. If you believe yours runs better on 91 or 93 it is all in your head and you watch too many commercials. YOU are the person their ad dollars are aimed at.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I posted a pic of mine but the mods. took it out. Trust us 87 is all they recomend. Page 51 has the formula "antiknock index(RON+MON)/2= 87" The previous page under fuel requirements tells how they came up with the number.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i will continue to use 93 and i would be willing to bet truth be told more burn higher octane then lower octane. no one that i ride with burns 87 to each there own .and i do stand corrected it does not say 93 in owners manual sorry

1 - 20 of 60 Posts