RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am reading through the August issue of Fast Bikes, an expensive UK magazine with lots of nice photos - they're doing a comparo of "Super Naked" bikes and did a shootout between the Ducati Streetfighter, MV Augusta Brutale, KTM Superduke, and Moto Morini Corsaro Veloce..

At the beginning of the article they talk about how the Europeans know how to build sporting naked while the Japanese lag way behind - per the Z1000 they say "Kawasaki's new release, the Z1000, is the Japs best attempt at hardcore, but still lacks sporting aptitude against the established".. And thus it wasn't even allowed in the shootout..

Any idea why this is? I know that these other 4 bikes weigh a good 80-100lbs less than the Z1000, but I thought the Z1000 was right up there in performance (certainly by the numbers, no?)

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,140 Posts
Those bikes are in a different class than the Z pricewise. Maybe they didn't want to get their snobby little feelings hurt by such a low class machine as the Z1000 that performs nearly as well and maybe better in some catagories.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Those bikes are in a different class than the Z pricewise. Maybe they didn't want to get their snobby little feelings hurt by such a low class machine as the Z1000 that performs nearly as well and maybe better in some catagories.
ummmm That about sums it up for me too!:agree:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fast Bikes is kinda biased... and when I say "kinda" I mean very and when I say "biased" I mean they rate on a scale like this:
Triumph > Austrian, German, Italian > Japanese

They also rate heavily based on cool factor, note that "Desirability" and "Hooliganism" weigh as much as the other measures...

It is easier for them to not test a bike than risk it overcoming their preconceived notions (or advertising income)

·
Registered
156 Posts
MCN is biased toward Ducati and Triumph and BMW while this rag seems to have similar tendencies. They don't even allow it in the shootout, yet they pronounce that it 'lacks sporting aptitude?' What load of horse sh#t! An American rag did a similar shootout with the same bikes, minus the Morini.

Who came-out on top when all categories, including price were factored-in? The 2010 Zed 1000! It really gave the other bikes a run for the money performance-wise as well. The Brutale and epecially the Duc had more HP, but fuelling, usable power tranny and riding position clearly went to the Zed...and handling wasn't far off either.

I'm beginning to think that any rags from countries tied together by the EU are just going to be biased no matter what. American rags can be more open-minded because there aren't any home brewed bikes that come close to the sport naked design...with possibly the XR1200 being a heckuva reach. :killingme

·
Registered
631 Posts
ALL major motorcycle magazines are biased toward one or the other...

That "new" MV (HD) Agusta Brutale is a piece of garbage from what I'm seeing in the trade press, since Harley got ahold of it, but they sold the company back to it's previous owner DEBT-FREE, so we should be seeing some new and better offerings from MV in the future.

Nobody wants to get spanked by the lowly Z1000!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Like most have said - it stinks of bias. And that's fine, just keep that in mind for anything else you read in that mag.

Every mag has it's priorities and biases. Some, it's about country of origin. Brit mags shamelessly blow Triumph. Others, it's about style and/or appearances - so the brand name alone puts one bike over another. Some focus on price for performance, so a far cheaper bike that's not as good as the more expensive one gets the nod because folks want to believe in a true bargain. Etc, etc, etc.

Bottomline: it's important to know the perspective of the source involved. The best thing you can do is reach out to as many sources as possible. Doing that would alleviate any concerns about sporting aptitude.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I agree. It seams that any time you have a UK review they claim that the jap bikes "lack..... romance or poise" or something else that is relatively undefinable. If the Z lacks romance then it has plenty of dirty stripper attitude to satisfy me. Also I agree that no one wants to get spanked by a cheeper bike. Its why you haven seen a lot of comparison between the new Nissan GT-R and the six figure exotics.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Man if you read the American magazines the 3rd gen Z is the best bike to hit the U.S. shores in a while! (That's fine with me :righton:) I definitely get a biased vibe from any magazine that would refer to a product from the mighty Kawasaki Heavy Industries LTD as a "Jap"-bike :( !

·
Registered
109 Posts
Honestly it's got to be the cheap suspension, which, compared to those others is garbage. But for the price of the Z1000 and upgraded suspension you'd still come in thousands less than those others, and have a better overall bike, and a more reliable one for sure, IMHO...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds typical of Europeans, biased, presumptuous, and for some reason prejudiced against the Japs. They've got their own little "elite" Euro club, they can have it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If the Z lacks romance then it has plenty of dirty stripper attitude to satisfy me.
Love it!! :killingme
A friend discribed the my Z1000 as "its.. its... ummm... almost lost for words .. but .. its like lucy liu and angelina jolie and catherine zeta-jones ... and a terminator .. all made into a proper sexy/evil machine "

·
Registered
260 Posts
Can you really take the point of view of this magazine seriously when they insist on publishing pictures of the 'journalists' making faces?

Most UK bike magazines do this and a varied assortment of other childish nonsense.

Quite a while back one of them printed something about the Goldwing that Honda didn't like, despite the fact that it was true. They refused to advertise in that magazine for a year.

None of them have said a bad word about anything with a serious advertising budget since.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts