RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, ordered the wrong battery when searching, ended up with a YTX12-BS instead of the YTX12A-BS, the one I ordered is a bit taller.

Installation went smooth, and the metal piece that the seat slides on to fit perfectly, however, when I went to put the actual seat on, the bottom of the seat is scraping the top of the battery...won't fit no matter what.

Is there any simple way to mod it to fit the larger battery? Or do I just take the loss and order the correct battery? The 12-BS has a bit higher CCA than the 12A-BS, at a slightly lower capacity. I would really like to stick with the 12-BS instead of the 12A-BS, as it seems the 12-BS is more common, and the one I ordered has a nice LCD with the current charge level, days installed, and voltage.

·
Registered
408 Posts
As a rule of thumb, you should always try to get the highest capacity battery you can fit in the available space. On cars it is easier to go physically bigger, as they have more space, but motorcycles are very tightly confined, as low weight and small size are high in the list.

Sorry, can't offer you a cheap solution. For me, it would be best order the right physical size, instead of cutting things around the battery space to save a few bucks. We all make mistakes, and this one is a very minor one....., but I can tell you the LCD charge indicator, is a gimmick that contributes to draw current when no running, and could be telling when bike sits for long.....my current battery had one, and after a while started to buzz when bike was parked. I simply yanked it off and covered the connection with silicone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts