RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Unless extremely stressed quality springs almost never wear out. There will be a short break in period with these springs but once that is done you shouldn't have to worry about them for the life of the bike.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Just ordered new EBC Clutch Springs which are supposed to be 10% heavier for $30 delivered.
Ordered a new gasket from my local dealer for $35 delivered. Considering they are not a Kwakka dealer, I think it's pretty good. My nearest Kwakka dealer is over 200kms away, and they wanted to charge me $30 + delivery, so I think the deal works out well.
200k? Don't be a pus*y...go for a ride :laugh:

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Ok....since i have such an exciting life, i read this thread from the beginning. seems everyone is happy with aftermarket springs. my questions are: with the heavier springs has anyone experienced cable breakage or excessive stretch? (that is, the cable is fine but no adjustment left). I ride in horrendous, traffic, stop-start all the time - clutch in and out a 1000 times, will the heavier springs just be too much (physically on the hand) for this kind of riding. I have used Barnett clutches and springs before when back home - but it's a whole new world of riding here and much that i would like to upgrade, I think it would be counter-productive to my riding situation.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I still feel the heavier BRP clutch springs require a harder pull. With the 636, it accentuates that even more. I did swap all of them though. You could probably stagger them.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
You can stagger clutch springs. It works just fine.

OZninjaguy, your clutch cable is warning you that its ready to brake. Think about it. You have almost 1/2 inch of adjustment at the perch. If its gone that far, it wont be long until it lets go. It wont let go in your garage....

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
You can stagger clutch springs. It works just fine.

OZninjaguy, your clutch cable is warning you that its ready to brake. Think about it. You have almost 1/2 inch of adjustment at the perch. If its gone that far, it wont be long until it lets go. It wont let go in your garage....
I was actually asking other guys if that was their experience using heavier springs - stretched cable. I only have 2000k on my bike, and even with the excessive clutch use in traffic here I still have adjustment left in the cable. But thanks for the tip. I'm going to be ordering a spare for the exact reason you state.

If you stagger the springs, with all the centrifugal force happening in the clutch, aren't the two heavier springs going to be doing most of the pushing, and as the springs are of different 'strength', isn't there going to be uneven pressure applied to the plates? I'm not a mechanic/engineer, but it seems logical to me.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
Before you order.....Look at the cable. Often times there is a secondary adjustment. My ninja 1000 had one...call it six inches from the clutch lever side.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
My clutch cable broke fairly soon after replacing the springs and taking it in for suspension service. Around 14K miles. Coincidence? No idea. The new one seems fine though.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Before you order.....Look at the cable. Often times there is a secondary adjustment. My ninja 1000 had one...call it six inches from the clutch lever side.
Unfortunately, the 650 being a budget bike, there is only adjustment at the lever. however, your comment got me thinking - has anyone used a cable from another model (like the Ninja 1000) that has more available adjustment possibilities?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
My clutch cable broke fairly soon after replacing the springs and taking it in for suspension service. Around 14K miles. Coincidence? No idea. The new one seems fine though.
Years ago I would repair my cables. It was possible to buy all the little brass pieces in a kit, get some silver solder, a good, hot soldering iron, appropriate flux - and you could repair almost any motorcycle cable.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Unfortunately, the 650 being a budget bike, there is only adjustment at the lever. however, your comment got me thinking - has anyone used a cable from another model (like the Ninja 1000) that has more available adjustment possibilities?
The ninja 250 I have has a second adjuster, and it is most certainly more budget oriented.

I'll check my 650 when I get home, but on the 250, it was closer to the actual clutch rather than the lever.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hi Oz, there's a second adjustment at the other end of the clutch cable -- located near the cylinder head. You will need to remove the right (rear brake pedal side) middle fairing to access it. Refer to service manual (2-26 Periodic Maintenance) for details.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hi Oz, there's a second adjustment at the other end of the clutch cable -- located near the cylinder head. You will need to remove the right (rear brake pedal side) middle fairing to access it. Refer to service manual (2-26 Periodic Maintenance) for details.
I thought so, thanks for the specific information

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Salamat sa advice amigo. where can i get a copy of the service manual? I know you have one but are constrained by your agreement with Kawasaki from sharing it publicly.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Salamat sa advice amigo. where can i get a copy of the service manual? I know you have one but are constrained by your agreement with Kawasaki from sharing it publicly.
OI! I thought I gave you a copy of this along with all the other manuals I have? If anyone needs them, I can share via google drive, so just send me your gmail via a PM.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
OI! I thought I gave you a copy of this along with all the other manuals I have? If anyone needs them, I can share via google drive, so just send me your gmail via a PM.
Yes you did mate, and although I consider myself reasonably savvy in the PC department, couldn't get them to download on my PC. To quote an old phrase: It's not you, it's me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey, quick question. After a long wait I finally got my springs but have received 5 in number, before I open and try to change just wanted to check if that is the correct number? Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
My kit also came with 5 springs, one extra. No problem, Great cheap mod

61 - 80 of 132 Posts