RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me tell you how much I ****ing hate cleaning paper type gaskets off of surfaces. From my Neon's head gasket, to my brother's GM 3100 V6 lower manifold, to the Ninja's clutch cover.

Other then that this mod is a freakin' breeze. The only other tricky part is getting the clutch cable undone from the cover side. I simply loosened the adjuster at the handle bar all the way. Then I used a 19mm open end wrench to move twist the clutch arm to give me the slack needed to remove the cable end. Pulling off the idle adjuster bracket first helps too.

The effect. The clutch is certainly stiffer. However the clutch is no more grabby then before. The amount of play you have between just starting to grab and all the way out stays the same. If your hands are strong, starts feel the same. Cruising around there is no difference but once you get on it and into the meat of the powerband you can really notice the extra power. I got on it hard in first once and it was the first time I felt the front end really start to lift. It didn't come off the ground but it did spook me a bit.

$40 shipped for the springs and new gasket. At that price this is a steal for real honest performance gains on this bike.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
:dance:I have talked many times about how great these clutch springs are. Hopefully you chose the HD version, 18% springs.

After a few days when you forget that you installed them and your hand isn't used to the change yet, you'll be getting wheelies at stop lights when trying to launch to hard. Well that's what happened to me a few times anyhow.

Mine didn't have a paper gasket. It was a metal one and I just reused it. I now have two new gaskets hanging on the wall because I also ordered the gaskets when ordering the springs.

They really are easy to install and once installed you feel like damn why didn't I do this sooner!

Your right, for just basic riding around there is very little change, but the change is very noticeable 3/4 throttle and above. You can actually tell your getting more HP to the back tire. Full throttle acceleration is greatly improved.

It doesn't take long and your hand will relearn the clutch, so it won't seem so stiff anymore.:alcy:

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Thanks. Good to hear a recent upgrade since I just ordered mine on Friday. I even got a shipment confirmation Saturday. I can't wait to try them out. Talking of different gaskets, I also wonder if the springs have been improved over the generations.

At the drag strip, my tire was coming off the ground with the stock springs so I am curious and a bit concerned about what these will do. It does seem like the bike could push more down the long straight at the track though. My biggest concern is that I have not been sure if my reduced engine braking was due to upgrades or just a slipping clutch. I appreciate the reduced engine braking for everyday riding and it also helped at the track having a feel similar to a slipper clutch. After this, I should know for sure. Like my new tires though, I probably will not know for sure until next year as these will most likely be installed with my end of the year oil change.

On that note, others have said that on the side stand, oil loss is minimal. Did you do the oil at the same time or were you able to just do the springs?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Thinking of gaskets, on both of my bikes the gaskets where metal. On my 09 bike the stock spring felt mushy with only about 1000 miles on it, which is what got me to research aftermarket springs. On the 11 I changed them right away so I'm not sure if they would have been just as bad or not. They did look the same as the stock 09 springs, that doesn't mean they are the same though.

I used the regular Barnett springs on the 09 and the HD versions on the 11. On the 09 bike once the springs broke in they feel about the same as the stock ones did when new. On the 11 the spring have also gotten softer but they are still a lot stiffer than the regular Barnetts.

I also have read of others not having to change the oil just by taking the cover off with the bike on the side stand, I can't confirm because I did mine while doing an oil change anyway.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
JOHNDOE!!!!

No pictures or Video???? BooHoo!!!! WTF, where is Bigballin on this video??? Oh that's right he's getting a 6R or a 636, or a z6........bugger!

So, were with you on the paper gasket fiasco, I think congress should be passing laws on banning paper gaskets instead of steroids in major sporting events..........

It's everything Mark said it would be and more???? Woot Woot!!!! Winter projects are really starting to add up here! But I'm calling HINSON on Monday to get a set for the 650 a.s.a.p.!

Thanks for the review and post!!!

Cheers

·
Registered
148 Posts
So... I guess I don't understand as much as I thought I did about the mechanical workings of engines/transmissions and the like. How in the world do clutch springs have any effect on power/performance? In my mind all it would do is make the clutch "feel" better or be smoother.
Ditto. I can't see any benefit unless you are experiencing slip.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ditto. I can't see any benefit unless you are experiencing slip.
It does slip. Not a lot and most people wouldn't notice it until you told them or they compared to aftermarket.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes. It will slip while the clutch is fully released when you're in the more powerful parts of the powerband.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have been thinking about this post, and I have noticed when this topic gets brought up some people believe some don't. Some people get the springs and rave about them and others feel like they just wasted $20.

I have been trying to figure out why that is.
I think part of it could be inconsistency of the stock springs.
I also think some people don't ride their bike hard enough to notice if they need them or not.
One thing I think most of us forget about is that we all weigh different. So we could have a rider that weighs 175 and is just a commuter, then we could have a rider that is 225 that actually pushes the bike hard more often. so the loads on the clutch will vary by these different conditions.​

I also think using the term the clutch is slipping makes it misleading to the person not sure what they are looking for. For me the sensation was more like a loss of torque at the rear wheel under full throttle loads. Most people think of the clutch slipping as the rpm's shooting high and the bike not going anywhere. That's not really whats happening here. The engine rpm's stay the same but the feeling of torque at the rear wheels feels reduced just momentarily and repeatedly.

For me personally I still feel like these where the biggest bang for the buck performance mod. I don't think the PCV or exhaust would have made a noticeable difference at the rear tire without these, I think it would have just slipped easier. I have had these springs in for two riding seasons and they have softened up a little but they are still way better than the stock spring where when new. I think the stock clutch spring are perfect for new riders and people looking for smooth shifts. If you want performance these are a requirement to see the improvements at the tire.

Obviously these are just my opinions and your result are sure to vary.:alcy:

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Ordered Friday, shipped Saturday, arrived Monday and installed Monday night. Went out for a short ride this evening and I think my results are a mixed bag also. I think that makes sense for everyday riding though. One thing I did notice although I am not sure if I can attribute it to the colder humid weather or the springs yet is that my low RPM surging was near non existent today. I am not sure if that is possible for the clutch or not. I can work up some theories in my head but they are just that. Until the next track day!!

Edit (I had some time to think about it):
Forgot to add that there is a very small amount of oil loss. None to be worried about if you do not plan on draining. I also wanted to add that everything seemed overall smoother but there is probably a better way to explain that. The clutch engagement definitely feels more precise though.

BTW, did anyone else get 6?

100_0265.jpg 100_0262.jpg

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got 6 springs as well. I freaked out for a minute thinking something wasn't right. What you got looks exactly like what I got.

I forgot to say that I did mine at the same time that I did an oil change so there was no oil in it anyways.

remember that this will only effect parts of the powerband that are produce torque above what the stock springs can hold. The majority of the powerband is under that threshold.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Most people think of the clutch slipping as the rpm's shooting high and the bike not going anywhere.
Yes, extreme clutch slip

That's not really whats happening here. The engine rpm's stay the same but the feeling of torque at the rear wheels feels reduced just momentarily and repeatedly
Sorry, don't follow here ... if engine rpm's stay the same, there's no additional stress on the clutch; why would it start slipping (necessary condition for the 'torque at the rr wheel to feel reduced).

What I think I managed to replicate/cause, in terms of symptoms, accidentally (past) or voluntarily (last couple of days): rpm's increase (though not 'shooting') but acceleration doesn't seem to, initially. Then, I can feel a 'surge' (relatively speaking) of acceleration as the clutch 'connects' again. I do have to 'whack' the throttle open to cause the symptoms: even 'spirited' riding (street, not track, so the 'spirited' is once again relative) doesn't cause it.

Still, if I'm in a situation where I feel I need max accel to get out of an 'uncomfortable' situation, I don't want even that very slight hesitation ... might have to order these myself...

·
Registered
745 Posts
I think I know what you're describing SimSim, which helps me understand the "issue" that is trying to be corrected with the springs. For me I had the acceleration "surge" around 3k if I gave it 3/4 or more throttle to quickly accelerate. I could hear the engine begin to rev but the back tire wouldn't spin any faster immediately.

The PCV fixed that for me. Now I can punch it and feel the immediate power. But I hardly ever do WOT because it still scares me to do on the street I ride on. So I could have a slipping issue, but the PCV fixed my slingshot issue enough for me. :) thanks for the explanation though!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Yes, extreme clutch slip

Sorry, don't follow here ... if engine rpm's stay the same, there's no additional stress on the clutch; why would it start slipping (necessary condition for the 'torque at the rr wheel to feel reduced).

What I think I managed to replicate/cause, in terms of symptoms, accidentally (past) or voluntarily (last couple of days): rpm's increase (though not 'shooting') but acceleration doesn't seem to, initially. Then, I can feel a 'surge' (relatively speaking) of acceleration as the clutch 'connects' again. I do have to 'whack' the throttle open to cause the symptoms: even 'spirited' riding (street, not track, so the 'spirited' is once again relative) doesn't cause it.

Still, if I'm in a situation where I feel I need max accel to get out of an 'uncomfortable' situation, I don't want even that very slight hesitation ... might have to order these myself...
I had a feeling it was going to come out wrong when I was typing it. I was really trying to descried to riders that aren't sure what to look for when deciding if they want these springs or not. I was thinking just by saying your clutch is slipping that they would be looking for obvious clutch slipping like one would expect. But I think the sensation one gets from the stock springs that are still in good condition is really different than that. So I was trying to find an easier way of describing what to feel for.

Yes I know that the clutch is actually slipping when this occurs, but just telling someone who is unsure of what to look for that the clutch is slipping they will most likely overlook the true sensation of what is happening and just respond with "well my clutch isn't slipping" when it most likely is.

I hope this clears up what I was trying to describe.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Took it out again today, hotter at 90 and not as humid. No more low RPM surging. It was never that bad but now nothing. I cannot seem to find anything in researching that would point to the clutch springs to help that but I will take it anyway. Can anyone else explain that? Maybe no one else has low RPM surging to begin with? Coincidence?

·
Registered
410 Posts
1 - 20 of 132 Posts