RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear from those of you with high mileage on the ZR-7. That is because I have 60k on mine and 55k miles on my Concours. I'm trying to see the future of these two bikes. I'm logging 500 miles per week on them.

Yesterday, I test rode a leftover 2009 Triumph Sprint ST. I'm in love and I know it. It has hard luggage and real brakes. And does it haul the groceries in rapid fashion, you ask? Indeed. I'm sure it will touch a ton and a half. And at my advanced age, I need that!

If I can't be talked out of this affair with the hot bimbo, one or both of the Kawasakis will have to go.

So, do I hear 75k miles, 80, 90, 100,000 miles anyone?

Jack

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not going to help matters here but at 500 miles per week, i think you deserve a new bike. The Sprint ST is a great machine and if the price is right? The point is that you are already in love, and no matter what you do, you will be thinking about it! The Connie and the Z don't owe you anything either.

Zaphod

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm fast approaching 50K on mine and it's running well. But I'm always contemplating getting a newer bike. The Sprint ST would be on my list as would a slightly used Ducati ST and a V Strom. I'm not going to talk you out of getting the Sprint. You've gotten your moneys worth from the Kawis. Get the Sprint and you'll never have to ask yourself "what if...".

But which Kawi to cut loose? Tough call. Actually, I've always wondered how a Concours compares to the ZR-7S. Which one is quicker? Which one handles the twisties better? Which one is more comfy on the interstate? Which one is more reliable? Which has more character?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Cracker Jack,

You raise a good question. How many miles (or km for us) can the ZR7 be ridden with reasonable reliability. Many Forum owner have travelled 100,000km (or 60,000 miles) without problem. Has anyone done more than 160,000km (100,000 miles)?

p.s. The Sprint is a fantastic bike...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pete, the Concours puts out about 95 rear wheel horses. Despite it's weight, it will out run the ZR7. The Concours has the better (not much) suspension, but it is always up to the rider how fast the bike goes through the twisties. My 7 handles well with definite limits. When the pavement gets rough, I wallow. The Concours wins on the interstate unless it's near 100 degrees. That fairing is great in the cold but can be punishing in the heat. Both are stone reliable. Concours owners have a support group much like the ZR forum. Character trophy goes to ZR-7S. Every time my wife and I ride with our friends, someone asks "What is that?" It's a great conversation starter.
The Connie is the one I will sell.

I'm concerned about mileage because I intend to be riding for decades more. What happens when you wear out an engine? As Andre points out, the Sprint is fantastic. But it too has some limitations. It has neither the range nor the cargo capacity of the ZR7 or the Concours. But she's beautiful and what a voice!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for the info Cracker Jack.

For what it's worth, I know a guy with an 05 Sprint and he loves it. I think he's got 50K miles on it. Triumphs are pretty durable from what I hear.

As for the ZR7, the engine originated back in the late 70s/early 80s on the KZ750. Someone might correct me but it was then used on the GPz750 in the 80s and then the Zephyr750 in the 90s. It's a very well proven engine and will run for ever with basic maintenance. But I think the Connie would too since it's a more of a touring bike.

I have an old article from Motorcycle Consumer News (Oct 05) where they did an extensive comparo of a Sprint ST, Ducati ST3, VFR800 and BMW R1200 ST. They finished in this order: Honda, Ducati, BMW, Triumph.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got 75-80,000 on my ZR-7. I've lost track of the exact mileage due to replacing the speedo. There's no hint that it's going to quit any time soon. I'm convinced that the motor is pretty much bulletproof.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I'm looking for. Thanks!

·
Registered
417 Posts
There was a thread in the KZ Rider forum about 'highest mileage", and they have real old bikes. One forumer said that he reached 160,000 miles,.. that's rigth,.. 160K mi on a Z650 before he finally retired it. The ZR-7 engine is nothing else that the '76 Z650 engine bored out to 738 cc.

Engineers have determined that a properly lubricated internal combustion engine, once warmed up, it is very much frictionless. Most of the wear occurs during start ups when metal is cold, tolerances are tight, and cold "thick" oil is just begining to circulate. (I always allow any cold car or motorcycle a few minutes to warm up before driving) So a properly cared, not abused, engine should go the distance. Most kids simply trash their bikes.

All that said, humans love changes. We get used to what we have which becomes not so thrilling anymore, no matter how reliable (or faithful) it is, and here we go spending more money on things we want, not things we need. Hey...we are only humans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts