RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry to start another exhaust thread but....

It’s always been a tossup between cost, looks, performance and sound but not necessarily in that order.

Many of us seem united in thinking that one of the most attractive features about the 2010/11 Z1000 is the look of the mufflers (cans), short, beefy, stylish and almost unique, black or goldish/nickel, well at least that’s how I feel, apart from their over-efficient silencing capability.

Of course we ALL want the sporty rumble but in some regions the laws of the land are heavily weighed against this, do-gooders legislating against us poor old two-wheelers. The *******s should be encouraging everyone to get on two wheels for the sake of the planet’s future well-being.

So where to? The choices, even at this early point in this bike's emergence, are many and varied with selection based on many factors but ultimately I think it all boils down to the best sound/looks for the least cost, no good going for overkill. Yes we all want more ponies but what the heck for, we can hardly use all that we already have, but like most of you I feel the same so let’s go for broke and wish for 200HP or more... woooohoooooo!!!

In an ideal world the bike should come with an optional loud-as-you-want exhaust system. But alas life wasn’t meant to be that easy and we all have to toil and suffer to achieve what we want.... and hence the wish-list grows cosmetically and performance wise.

Having pointed to all that, I want to categorically state that I am absolutely in love with my Z and even if I wasn’t able to change anything I would still feel the same way and I suspect most of you would concur, otherwise you wouldn’t be on this forum.

Phewww.... sorry about that protracted rattle and although not obvious I have been trying to curb my enthusiasm... Let me now cut to the chase ...... I am thinking about fitting the Massmoto OR Akrapovic pipe system (ie, headers, collector and link pipes) coupled with the OEM mufflers (unmodified) and hoping to achieve that ideal rumble, increased HP and retain the unique original exhaust look... Perhaps I’m hoping for too much but it seems that no one at this point in time has the necessary answers so it’s a venture into the experimental zone, just hope it doesn’t end up opening up a can-of-worms and having to undo the whole lot due to some annoying unfixable performance issue, which is how it all ended with my first Hayabusa (1999). Have I learnt anything? Perhaps not!

The Akrapovic (which is where I’m leaning) is available here in Australia by order, as confirmed by the importer – details below;

“Header Tube set – (H-K10R6) $276.32 plus gst
Collector Set – (C-K10R6) $203.60 plus gst
Link Pipe – (L-K10R7) $269.05 plus gst
12 x Springs $4.33 ea plus gst
1 x Fitting Kit $13.78 plus gst
4 x Cylinder Head Sleeve $13.06 ea plus gst
4 x Cylinder Head Sleeve $34.87 ea plus gst

If you want to go ahead I would have to order some of it in for you. Also, I am not sure how the original mufflers will sit with this system, ie, if the angle that they sit at with the standard system is the same as the Akrapovic system and how they attach to the link pipe, there may or may not be some modifications to do”.

The $ are oz and the GST (Goods and Services Tax) here is 10% and there would be some delivery fee of around $50 I would guess.

Of course one major concern is whether or not the OEM cans would fit exactly, as the dealer pointed out.

The Massmoto system is also available, see details below;

“Kind Laci,
The price of the headers is € 750, shipping included. In attachment you find pictures of the product. For further details or to make the order don’t hesitate asking.
Faithfully, Giancarlo Saitta
MASS Bike Developments”

So that’s my story for now... don’t hold back guys, I haven’t made up my mind about all this and which way to go all I know is that I want a nice rumble...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well said but, i still feel that the overall cost for your set up is outrageous (and most other pipe options) and here is my reasoning.....

I have a 2009 Subaru WRX which i wanted more sound and performance. So, here are the costs for name brand quality parts i installed.

-Catted turbo down pipe $250
-Full catback dual exhaust $300.00
-Accessport tuning computer with off the shelf map $400

So for $950 the car looks and sounds perfect and it went from 230whp to 299whp. That's a 70 HP gain for less than a grand. now thats good bang for the buck.

Whereas, my last bike (2008 Z), i had a $700 dollar set of 2 bros pipes, $65 bmc filter and $400 PC and the bike hardly felt any better. To me, its just not justifiable...

But, i cant help resist the urge for a set of pipes for my '10 Z:nono: It just hard to swallow the huge price tags for little to no gain other then sound.

·
Registered
270 Posts
boy do I ever get what you mean.. both my 94 Z28, and my 01 Formula have had custom exhausts. Including headers mufflers, and shop labor for building my exhaust. The Z28 with headers totaled at $930, My formula with no headers came out at about $500. A production plug n play exhaust for these bikes will easily run north of both of those numbers (full systems 1k+ and slip ons in the 500 range).. I just don't get it. I at one point had debated taking my bike to my exhaust shop to see what they could do LOL.

·
Registered
545 Posts
ther was a member on hear who confirmed with Akro that the stock cans would fit there header system
ther may also be a member who has done it

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
ther was a member on hear who confirmed with Akro that the stock cans would fit there header system
ther may also be a member who has done it
RobHor contacted Akra about the header and they stated that it is a direct replacement for the factory header. The cans should line up perfectly since the dual output header was desinged to use the slip ons the company sells for the stock header.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Lici…. you have hit the nail right on the head and opened up a can of worms. I want exactly what you want and have done from the day I bought my Z1000. That is to keep the standard exhaust pipes/slipons/end caps, what ever we all call them, (OEM ‘what does that stand for anyway?) but change the down pipes/headers and heavy collection cat box.
Regarding the use of the AKRA system, some say it will accept the OEM slipons, some say it wont???? The way I understand it is, if you buy the complete road system, then throw away (sell on) the expensive silencers and fit the OEM’s the diameter is the same but not the angle. If you purchase the race system its expensive but you don’t have to purchase the silencers but the diameter are different, so they wont fit. I have copied the email from a AKRA approved dealer in the UK for you lot to make sense of it. Now, there must be a pipe fabricator in the world that if had he had enough owners wanting this set up and us clubbing together could bring the unit cost down. All we want is a light complete one piece system(not made up of hundreds of little sections held together with springs) so that we can add any slipon that takes our fancy.

From: Performance Parts - Colin [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 06 September 2010 13:06
To: 'Tarka Holiday Park'
Subject: RE: Z1000 2010 Headers

Dear Jim,
With the utmost respect, I would be surprised if that was the case.
Are you sure that Akrapovic fully understand your question? Maybe something was lost in translation, as your original email mentions “Stock slip-ons”. I assume from that, you mean OEM silencers.
Perhaps they mean that their Slip-on silencers fit the race system, as that is the case.
As far as we are aware, the OEM silencers will not fit the Akrapovic headers.
Could you forward their email / information to us to check please.

Regards
Colin

Sent: 06 September 2010 10:25
To: 'Performance Parts - Colin'

Colin hi
Thanks for your email, I have checked with AKRA and the stock silencers fit their headers.

Kind regards

Jim Penny

Tarka Holiday Park
01271 343691
WWW.tarkapark.com

Sent: 06 September 2010 09:35
To: 'Tarka Holiday Park'

Dear Jim,
Unfortunately the Akrapovic headers would not be compatible with the OEM silencers.
Regards
Colin

Sent: 05 September 2010 09:56
To: [email protected]
Subject: Z1000 2010 Headers

Hi
Can you tell me if you are able to order the AKRA race system S-K10R6-ZC/1 system without the silencers as I want to retain the stock slip on’s and if so how much?

Many thanks

Kind regards

Jim Penny

Tarka Holiday Park
01271 343691
www.tarkaholidaypark.co.uk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I love my carbon akra slip ons,I think they are the nicest available for the 2010 z1000 but they aren't the loudest unfortunately.Im gonna get the headers next year to make the bike sound they way I'd like but they are around £700.With a pc5 and dyno that'll mean my full akra system will stand me nearly £2000

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Shakebite, OEM=Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Will it or wont it fit remains the big question and it seems that all the answers we have so far are not clear and someone will have to try it before we have the real answer.

But even beyond that, we also still don’t know whether or not the performance would be acceptable and what about the sound output? So all in all we have raised more questions than we have answers for.

The spring system to hold the sections of pipe together is a good thing, it provides additional flexibility to accommodate fit and also allows a more controlled expansion/contraction of the system.

I have a motorcycle exhaust guru guy who has all the equipment to build a system from scratch and could easily modify the link pipe to accept the OEM cans, but beyond that the questions still remain... what a dilemma...........

On the other hand I see pictures on this site posted by Robhor of a Massmoto system being installed with the OEM cans... does anyone have any further knowledge or information about that story?

·
Registered
131 Posts
The problem that I raised with Rob when we first saw these was we weren’t sure about the narrowing were the sensor screws in? Maybe over to your guru guy? But if its OK and the OEM’s (as I now know what that means!!) will fit onto the Massmoto, I’ll be up for that , may even stick on a set of V & H Urban Brawlers at weekends!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Both headers will fit the oem cans.
But why do you want to buy headers that are nothing more than a few pieces of pipe put together if you can buy the Akra's headers that are developed and tested for the new Z?
The Massmoto headers may save you a few bucks but will probably cost you more in then end on tuning your bike (PC, Dynojet etc.).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Robhor, you seem pretty confident that the oem’s will fit the Akra headers, in which case the Mass is not even a consideration and it’s actually not that much cheaper. I wish the local Akra dealer had that same conviction instead of raising doubt. Given that they do fit I doubt that Akra had in mind or tested their system coupled with the oem cans, they would have tested it with their own. So let’s hope that the oem cans in combination with the Akra header system will produce the result we are all hoping for. I am placing an order......

·
Registered
131 Posts
Both headers will fit the oem cans.
But why do you want to buy headers that are nothing more than a few pieces of pipe put together if you can buy the Akra's headers that are developed and tested for the new Z?
The Massmoto headers may save you a few bucks but will probably cost you more in then end on tuning your bike (PC, Dynojet etc.).
OK. Now I am really confused :dunno: are you saying that the Akra (road) system, less slip ons will fit and run the standard end caps? If so do you know were can I buy them as your can see my supplier says they wont fit.:mad:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
.... there's that old doubt creeping its way back in ....:killingme .....

here is another thought just to confuse things even further... what about a 4 x 2 x 1 Akra header with only one of the oem cans?????? :thud:

·
Registered
545 Posts
i dont see why the stock cans will not fit the akra headers

the akra slip ons fit the stock headers
so the diameter is the same

the only question is the angle of the headers

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After exchanging emails with Akra and Mass I received this message overnight from Mass..

"Hi Laci,

the original Kawasaki slip-on mufflers fits straight on to our collectors; we check the fitting before shipping it.
We guarantee an increasing performance up to 5-6% of the original headers; 1) because of the missing restriction of the original and 2) because of the bigger section of the tubes. Even the engine temperature will go down, like the fuel consumption. In attachment you find our best test on a bike like yours.

I repeat for further details don’t hesitate.
Meanwhile
Have a nice weekend
Giancarlo MASS

·
Registered
321 Posts
Here is the copy of the email that i've received from Akrapovic;

Dear Sirs,

The combination is possible. You have to use the header set from the
S-K10R6-ZC/1 system. Please check the attached picture.

Thank you for your question,

Best regards,
Akrapovič d.d.
R&D department

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 24 Posts