RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another infrequent post from me, with a question about a new bike. I have a good shot at picking up a brand new leftover 2001 FZ-1 sometime soon, maybe this weekend if I'm really lucky. Probably can get it for around $6500. I would like to know from those that have moved on to that bike, if you traded the ZR-7 in on it, what did you get out of it on trade. And also, what do you think of the FZ-1, I can only guess.

Alex

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
As for the FZ1, go for it only if you think you can handle the power. This bike has lots of it.

As for trade in values of the ZR-7, I just had a dealer this morning offer me $2400 for my ZR-7 with 5600 miles, perfect condition.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Purdue,

Netlore recently traded (or cashed in his insurance policy :( ) ZR-7 for an FZ. His comments are posted here somewhere. Just do a search.

Emrah

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
Hey, my husband is in the process of trying to decide which new bike he wants. I told him to get whatever he wants, and he is looking at 3 possibilities. He's compared the FZ1/ZRX1200/Kawi Concourse. All 3 bikes are great, but have very different pros and cons. He said that from everything he's read, the ZRX is more comfortable and has more power than the FZ1. The concourse would be great for touring, but he thinks he'd look like an old man riding around on it (vanity vanity). I told him about your post and he said that from what he's been reading, the ZRX 1200 is the best all around when comparing the 3 bikes.

As far as trade in, my dealer just told me they'd give me $3850 for my 2001 ZR7s with 7000 miles. I left and decided to sell it on my own. I'll geta little more out of it selling it on my own.

try out more than one. See if the dealer will let you test ride...or find a dealer that will. Good luck in your search!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've checked out the ZRX1200, and I'm not a big fan of it. I love the looks of the FZ1, especially the black ones. I've thought about other bikes, such as a 919, and researched a lot of them, but I keep going back to the FZ1. The suspension on it is better than the 919, and it's more powerful than the 919, I think it's a little larger overall too. I'm a big dude, 6'2" - 240ish, so I don't want a small bike. $3750 isn't far off from the trade in I'm hoping to possibly get. I figure if I can get $4000 on trade for my '01 7S with 2500 miles on it, I won't be in bad shape at all. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
418 Posts
From a person who moved from the '01 ZR-7s to the '02 FZ-1 I can tell you this. It's a sweet bike. Lots of power, handles like a dream, comfortable (IMHO more so than the ZR) and plenty of aftermarket accessories.

I've had it for a month and already put over 2400 miles on it!! (You have an '01 with only 2500 miles . . how'd you manage that ?) I'm a daily commuter and weekend rider. It works great for both. I'm with you, the ZRX is an ugly bike. That square retro bikini fairing looks like it's from the 1980s instead of the 2000s. It's also heavier by about 30+ lbs. and only has a 5-speed transmission. The FZ-1 will typically cost more but it sounds like your getting a sweet deal so, I would worry about the price.

Being a fairly tall guy (6'2" 185 lbs 35" inseam) I really enjoy the taller seat height. It seems to fit me perfectly.

Check out this thread :Early Comparision of ZR-7s and FZ-1

I hope this helps . . . . BTW Get the FZ-1, you'll be glad you did. They have a great forum too. This forum is still better so don't go bailin' out on us. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information Netlore. I only rode 2500 miles because of too many other toys to play with, plus Indiana weather. We have a Shelby Cobra roadster we built, so I spend a lot of time rippin around in that. The dealership well sell the FZ1 to me for $100 over their cost, so around $7500. I'm hoping to move on this pretty quick, even though it's still cold here in Indiana, its a good time to pick up a bike. I really need to sell the 7S before I can get the FZ1, that's the biggest hold up on it right now. I plan to ride a lot more this summer, maybe take some trips down south on the bike, so that leads me to another question. How is highway riding in 6th gear, the 7S just drives me nuts with only 5 speeds.

·
Registered
418 Posts
purdueZR7 said:
How is highway riding in 6th gear, the 7S just drives me nuts with only 5 speeds.
Yes, the 7s needed to have the RPMs high to stay at highway sppeds. In comparison, I sometimes forget to shift into 6th because I still have some fairly low RPMs. I use it now mostly for an overdrive since you can get to 120 mph in 5th.

A Shelby Cobra, I don't know if I'd have any miles on my bike if I had one of those. :) Nice toy. Wish I lived close by so I could see here. Can you post pics so I can check her out ? I've always loved those cars.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Shelby There is a link to picture of the car. It's just too much fun to drive, so when I get the chance, if my dad isn't driving it, I take it out. It's a toss up between that and the bike sometimes, it can be hard to decide what to take on a cruise.

·
Registered
118 Posts
purdueZR7 said:
The Shelby There is a link to picture of the car.
Beautiful! Simply beautiful.

I'd never ride a bike when I could ride that.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
dude, love the pic of you guys driving the cassis around :) it takes me back to when i was rebuilding a bradley gt kit car, test driving it in vrious stages of completion.

scott :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was fun driving it around in "go-kart" form. The seats weren't even bolted in, we were just hoping not to fall out. You have to drive that car similar to a motorcycle, if you would happen to get broadsided, you would be in a world of hurt, not much more than some fiberglass and a small steel bar between you and the world. Also, people just stare at the car when they are driving, so they aren't paying attention to what they are doing, but rather what you are doing, and other morons don't see it because it's a small car, only has a 92" wheelbase. Still an absolute blast to drive though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Cobra Pics & FZ-1

Alex,

Thanks for the link. The Cobra is Sweeeet!!!

You're total right about having to drive roadsters like MC. My friend has a Miata that he's moded (dropped a V8 in to). The thing cooks but it's so small you can easily be hidden by traffic, especially with this big SUV craze going on. If you want to see me FZ1 go here: Netlore's FZ-1

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the complements about the Cobra. The pictures of your FZ-1 make me want one even more. I'm just really in the mood for a new motorcycle right now, probably from not being able to ride much this winter. The thing with the ZR-7S, it was a compromise bike. It wasn't the Buell Blast my dad wanted me to get, and it wasn't the CBR600f4i that I wanted. I really like my ZR, but it's not what I really wanted, just made sense for my first bike. The FZ-1 however, I've been drooling over those for a while now, and I don't want an all out supersport bike, because the ZR has taught me the usability of a standard bike. However, the power, looks, and all around coolness of the FZ-1 has me wanting it really bad.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
While we were riding with Emrah today, he took us to the "Toys-R-Us" of motorcycle shops and I got a real good look at the FZ-1....and I can honestly say that I do not like it. Sitting on it and looking over the fairing through the goal post size mirror stems was awkward and to me it looks like the gauges are "unfinished", like Yamaha just threw what ever they had sitting on the shelf there....the entire package just didn't feel right...

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
No doubt about it, the FZ1 is a tall person's bike. I'm all of 5' 7" or 5' 8" at a stretch and just can't comfortable on this one. My optimum seat height is probably 31.5" and no more! Does the Corbin lower the seat height of the ZR7? If so, I might spend the bucks for the Corbin. BTW, Martin -- do you have the Corbin seat? Tom :)

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
Tom, I'm a shorty and YES the Corbin definitely gets your feet to the ground quicker! If you were to order a new one, I'd suggest getting a "nose job" done on it. It is still really comfortable, but it shaves a little off the sides so that your feet get to the ground more easily. Even without the nose job, the Corbin is lower! For me, this was a no brainer....get the Corbin! Sorry that I already sold mine! It would have been perfect for ya!

I also sat on the FZ1 and can BARELY even touch the ground. That is not the bike for me unless I can grow a few inches (taller, not wider!) :)

The ZRX I have now is technically shorter, but because it has a wider seat, it feels taller when you are at a light. I ordered a Corbin for it and got the nose job so that I'll be a little more stable at a stop.

I'm tellin ya....trust me...you want the Corbin. It makes a HUGE difference!

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Tom the corbin will lower you about 1.5 inches............so you won't have to wear those "70" stacks anymore...........:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: get a corbin and have a nose job done on it....................but I thought you were one of the first to get a new saddle??????
While your on downtime (knee surgery) save your bucks and treat your butt with some respect:laugh: :laugh:

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Gosh, it's so great to have friends like Twyla and Al (Fade)...lookin' out for my right knee and big ole' ***! I'm ordering the Corbin while I'm down with recovery. What a bunch of good folks... "I love ya guys...but your'e not gettin' my Bud Lite!!" Tom :D :~ :laugh:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Stock FZ-1 for Taller Riders

zr7chic,

I think you have a very good point. I'm a tall guy, 6'2+" (1.9m) with a long wingspan (79" or 2m) and inseam (36" or .9m).

Most people in the FZ-1 forum buy the lower handlebar mounts and a corbin seat. This bike fits me perfect in it's stock form except for the windsceen which is much to low.

Martin,

This low windscreen really makes the bike look like a mantis. This seems to disapear with the taller windscreen. This isn't much different than the ZR-7S. Some guys have totally gotten ride of the stock fairing mounted mirrors and gotten handlebar mirrors. It all really a matter of choice and style, you can't get an unfaired FZ-1 . . but you could always take it off or replace it.

I am a little shocked about the instrument panel remark. You must not have started her up. The clock, odo and 2 trip meters. It does look a little plain if the bikes not running though.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts