RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking to buy an aftermarket top rear rack only. Similar to a Renntech which attaches to and replaces the grab handles. Just something small above the tail. Not for luggage.
Thanks, Mark.

·
West Coast Moderator
13,056 Posts
I use to make them. Trying to figure out how to load pictures.

·
West Coast Moderator
13,056 Posts

·
West Coast Moderator
13,056 Posts
Like that?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like that?
Yes. Like that but without the pointy end. Just the three bars. Nice work, simple design.
I just need a place to lash a small bag for storing a map and a place for storing an extra thermal shirt or when it gets to hot, to take it off. I've used up the underseat storage for my compressor and patch kit.

Normally I place a bungee net on the passenger section of the seat but I'm finding it difficult on this bike without it rubbing on the plastic tail piece.

Are you still making them?

·
West Coast Moderator
13,056 Posts
No. I made 2 versions. That and a squared off version. I sold somewhere are 20 or so of them so there may be one or 2 out there still. They are pretty easy to make though if you have a welder.

·
West Coast Moderator
13,056 Posts
It may be something I pick up again when I retire (again).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I do have access to a welder but I think I found an easy way out. I have a small tank bag I've never used (because I don't really like tank bags) but I'll try it out tomorrow to see how it goes.

·
West Coast Moderator
13,056 Posts
I like tank bags better than back packs. They work pretty good as long as it either doesn't cover the gas cap or it's easily flipped up or back. If you can find a tail bag that the straps go just around the seat, those aren't too bad either as long as they are secure and don't move around.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My tank bag worked a treat today. It's a small one and I never sensed it was there.
But I had an idea. I can make a small plate out of heavy gauge aluminum I have on hand. With a couple of spacers and longer bolts I'll attach it to the rear of the grab handles. This will give me a small shelf, maybe four inches deep by nine wide. level with the passenger section of the seat. It should be rigid enough.
So between the shelf and the passenger section I can attach a tail pack I have and it will be moved back far enough from the rider that it won't touch the riders back nor lay on the plastic tail of the bike.
I have done the same on my other bike utilizing the SW Motech top box mount.

·
West Coast Moderator
13,056 Posts
You could probably have a pan folded for you at a local fab shop. Having one folded will add strength and wouldn't have to worry about it drooping (if that's a concern). We have a great steel supply/fab shop in town that does pretty much anything. No job too big or small. I use them for my work as well as my own small business.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's what I came up with. Some spacers, longer bolts and pre-paint.
The aluminum is a full 1/8 inch thick. I repurposed this from another bike I had. It's basically a shelf to allow me to slide a bag further back without contacting the tail. It is very rigid in place. The fun part now is to figure a 'pleasing to the eye' way of securing the bag.
If you look at the tail of the bike in the background I've done the same thing utilizing the SW Motech top box mount. There's also a bungee mount.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I was thinking the rack was way too small in the first photo, but I didn't understand you were doing the seat and the rack at the same time. It looks really good in the photo!

Reactions: Martin64

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was thinking the rack was way too small in the first photo, but I didn't understand you were doing the seat and the rack at the same time. It looks really good in the photo!
If I were to attach that bag to the passenger section only, it touches your back while riding.
I'll come up with the main tie down point on the rack so that when I need to get under the seat I just release the forward tie down and pivot the bag backwards.

·
West Coast Moderator
13,056 Posts
If I were to attach that bag to the passenger section only, it touches your back while riding.
I'll come up with the main tie down point on the rack so that when I need to get under the seat I just release the forward tie down and pivot the bag backwards.
Yup! I had a totally different picture in my head.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
It's more a seat extender than a rack. But with it installed, I believe my 7S project is complete. (y)
The farkling never truly ends.....

Reactions: Ozninjaguy

·
West Coast Moderator
13,056 Posts
It's more a seat extender than a rack. But with it installed, I believe my 7S project is complete. (y)
I get it. Never thought about doing something like that but it makes perfect sense. Wish I'd thought of it 20 years ago. It would have been a lower cost option to offer and, I'm sure with different length spacers (and bolt hole patterns) still very applicable to many bike today.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I get it. Never thought about doing something like that but it makes perfect sense. Wish I'd thought of it 20 years ago. It would have been a lower cost option to offer and, I'm sure with different length spacers (and bolt hole patterns) still very applicable to many bike today.
Yes, I've done it to other bikes. That aluminum piece was from another bike I did it to. I saved it when I returned it to stock when I sold it.
I could have done something more elaborate to the 7 if those grab handles were cast aluminum. My last bike I drilled and tapped the cast handles. I didn't want to mess with the nylon handles on the 7.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts