RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The flexible part of the rear turn signals has become cracked and one has now broken off.

I prefer not to replace them with aftermarket.

Anyone have a set that he has taken off a 2006, '07, '08, possibly to install a pair of LEDs?

I'd like them to be in near-new condition.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Mine are toast too. Unfortunately, I doubt anyone is going to have a good used pair for you. They tend to bounce, get kicked, have helmets rested on them, saddle bags rubbing them, etc. Since they're rubber, sunlight also weakens them. Worse still it looks like the flexible rubber accordion is only available as part of the light shell. If you're very lucky you may be able to find something on ebay.

23037A in the diagram
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2007-kawasaki-ninja-650r-ex650a/o/m149002#sch443065

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine are toast too.
I could not find any good ones either. I suppose the best solution is to find some that might fit from a newer bike. Most of the LED aftermarket signals I have seen are too anemic to see in daylight, so those are not an option. The LED integrated tail lights do not meet DOT requirements for separation distance between the signal and the tail light.

I finally decided to fix mine. The rubber piece was cracked through in one of the corrugations. I used DAP Clear Flexible Sealant with the further label text saying "Adheres To Wet Surfaces". This is available to Lowes and Home Depot. It acts as a stronger glue and adheres better than silicone in this application.

I took the signal off the bike and worked on a table so it would stay in the position I left it after gluing it together. I used the caulk to glue the sections together, then put a thin coating over the entire rubber piece. It is quite messy and the caulk is hard to remove from your fingers, but you can get a fairly uniform and smooth coating over all. Then I let it dry for several days.

I next made a prop out of very stiff wire. It is a straight piece with a loop formed on one end. I painted it and covered all but the loop with rubber tubing so it doesn't rattle. I then attached the prop to the reflector mounting screw, and bent the prop enough to support the signal. This has worked now for some 4000 miles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I could not find any good ones either. I suppose the best solution is to find some that might fit from a newer bike. Most of the LED aftermarket signals I have seen are too anemic to see in daylight, so those are not an option. The LED integrated tail lights do not meet DOT requirements for separation distance between the signal and the tail light.

I finally decided to fix mine. The rubber piece was cracked through in one of the corrugations. I used DAP Clear Flexible Sealant with the further label text saying "Adheres To Wet Surfaces". This is available to Lowes and Home Depot. It acts as a stronger glue and adheres better than silicone in this application.

I took the signal off the bike and worked on a table so it would stay in the position I left it after gluing it together. I used the caulk to glue the sections together, then put a thin coating over the entire rubber piece. It is quite messy and the caulk is hard to remove from your fingers, but you can get a fairly uniform and smooth coating over all. Then I let it dry for several days.

I next made a prop out of very stiff wire. It is a straight piece with a loop formed on one end. I painted it and covered all but the loop with rubber tubing so it doesn't rattle. I then attached the prop to the reflector mounting screw, and bent the prop enough to support the signal. This has worked now for some 4000 miles.
Have you tried to go to auto zone or the like and look at the rubber hangers they use for mufflers on cars. Big block of stiff rubber with holes on each end to put pipe and frame post in that hangs pipe and mufflers. Find one who's hole is right diameter to fit post and then carve and melt the rubber to smooth it out to shape. They look like a figure 8 made from a block of hard rubber. Cut in half use one end nd use razor or heat gun to round it off. May be a cheap fix, if need be sand to fit and use rubber flex agent paint they use on flexible plastic to get pretty shine and still retain the ability to flex. Just an Idea but they cannot be more than a few bucks and may be a fix. Or shape as good as you can and cover with heat shrink and shrink to fit, would be a kind of flat look but may look okay and cheap.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally bought a used set of rear signals that are for the 2009-2011 Ninja 650R. You can find them used for a fairly low price (certainly less than the $70 each retail price new). They do not appear to deteriorate like the earlier design on the 2006-2008, and they fit the openings in the rear fender flap properly.

The 2009-2011 part numbers are as follows:
■LAMP-ASSY-SIGNAL,RR,LH
23037-0235 (was 23037-0161)
■LAMP-ASSY-SIGNAL,RR,RH
23037-0236 (was 23037-0162)

They use the same hardware as the 2006-2008:
■WASHER,SIGNAL LAMP
92200-0164
■WASHER,SIGNAL LAMP
92200-0165
■SCREW-PAN-WP-CROS,4X8
224AB0408

There are also Chinese replacements, but I do not know their quality, and they may not have the DOT-required light output of the OEM. They are LED instead of incandescent, so you have to replace the flasher or install load resistors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts