RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Wrecked the bike this weekend

9K views 52 replies 20 participants last post by  Obo 
#1 ·
Hi all this past weekend I was having a little too much fun on the 650, and I ended up crashing at 50mph. No cars involved, and I walked away with just some nasty road rash on my butt. Which is surprising because I was wearing shorts/T-shirt with just my helmet on. The bike only took damage on the right hand side. I will post pictures later of the damage, and the road rash if anyone wants to see that haha.

I have not got the quote from the dealer yet, but I suspect it will be pricy. All right side fairings are torn up; front, back, and side. Luckily I had a frame slider, so no damage to the engine casing occurred. Also the handlebars dented the tank, and it seems one of the front forks was damaged. Y'all feel free to guess how much the total cost will be :ithank:

My questions for all of you are:
Would you file an insurance claim to fix it all? ($1000 deductible)
Another alternative if the damage is under $1000 would be to fix just the functions of the bike, front fork, brake lever, and leave the cosmetic damage for later. (save some money)

Also how will this effect the resale value? if I fix the bike up good as new will the accident still reduce the price a lot?
Thanks, Ride safe out there :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Having been pushed off the road by a car last year & laying my ZX10 down at 25 mph, I had insurance fix the bike. If I had to do it all over again I would have just let them total it, get the money out of it & go find another. Just my two cents.

50 mph & T-shirt & shorts, you got very lucky.

#3 ·
That would be the best option, but I don't think it's enough damage to total it unfortunately :/

#4 ·
It could be enough to total it if you tell your dealer to be very thorough in the write-up. My friend went down on his BMW and they wrote up every nick, scratch, etc. While they didn't total it, almost every panel and then some was replaced with new. If you just have insurance because it is required then I wouldn't report it.

#5 ·
I would be inclined to go for the insurance repair - for sure it will be more than 1T. For me, I can't just fix a bike to make it run, but have it look like crap...in my mind the bike is crap and I tend to 'disrespect' it and treat it badly because it doesn't mean much to me anymore...that's just me...I'm a little OC (read: a lot) and I like everything pristine, because (for me) your bike is an extension of and a statement about you...what image of yourself do you prefer to project?

Reactions: LoganG
#8 ·
My guestimate:
$500 tank
$30 bar end
$500 fork
$600 right side plastic
$?? brake pedal/brake lever
= $1700-1800?

Also, when the adjuster goes and checks the bike, check the mounting tab for the fairing near the tank. That is extremely fragile and would technically qualify the bike for frame damage. On my red 650 it didnt even look bent but it was cause the fairing would no longer align correctly. Looking at the tab closer, you could see how the paint looked like it was flaking jsut a tiny bit because it did in fact bend. Totalling it costs you higher insurance in the future but if it isnt too much for you, then go with it, its easier than just rebuilding the bike yourself. That is unless you re ok with rebuilding and having a street fighter. I somewhat agree with OZ, for me, my sportbike has to look clean. I cant do the streetfighter image.

Oh and not jsut you, but everyone reading, please no riding around in shorts and a shirt, it makes me cringe everytime I hear of a fellow riding going down so unprotected.

#9 ·
Probably enough repair cost it would be totaled with labor. Most states have a % of BV which it's considered totalled, usually somewhere in the range of 70+%, if you can you probably should just total it. Not sure with some of your accessories.

The more important thing is hopefully you'll choose ATGATT. I've finally upped my game gear wise, leather riding jacket, leather pants, riding jeans, pads.

#11 ·
ASATT (All Skin All The Time)?????? Road rash would be MSSTT (most skin some of the time.)

Logan, you really should count your blessings and buy some gear. Glad you were not hurt too badly. I have a Shadow Scorcher Mesh Jackets - Competition Accessories mesh jacket with elbow and should pads. Believe it or not, the mesh is actually cooler riding than bare skin... it shades your arms from the sun but not the breeze. It's usually on sale for less than $100. This one has a fleecy soft collar and the velcro is tons better than the 1st gear mesh jacket I had a few years ago.

Reactions: Vic.Thing
#12 ·
Did it scratch the rear swingarm, tail, seat, rear blinkers, front blinkers, mirrors, generator/gearbox covers, or any minor damage that no one has mentioned? Insurance has to make it as good as before. By the way do you still have the receipt for your frame sliders-if so add that.

If you hadn't been showing off your legs to all of those college girls you never would have had this problem? :)

Reactions: kojiiro
#33 ·
ahaha these Texas Tech ladies, love those biker legs :)
The swingarm was unharmed, thanks to the spool sliders! Also the gear box was untouched due to the frame sliders. But yes the mirror was broken off, and basically every single piece of plastic on the right side was damaged.

#21 · (Edited)
Assuming this is a 2013 non ABS and without seeing pictures, this could be the list of items you may or may not need. There might be more as they get into the quote. The dealer does not have to be the one who does the work. You can use them to quote the cost to fix. The insurance can cut the check to you and you can do the work if you are capable. Dont let the dealer strong arm you into having them do the work. Just act like you may want them and they will run the quote. They can charge you to quote too. Like $75-100 if they aren't doing the work.

This list is easy to fix except the forks. I have a fork rebuilt thread in another area of the forums under performance upgrades if you plan to do this yourself.
Prices from Partzilla to give you an idea (except the bushing kit). Note: These will be cheaper than the dealer.

Here you go....

TANK
51001B TANK-COMP-FUEL,P.S.WHITE 51001-0708-15S $578.59

FORKS- Are they bent, scratched?
44013 PIPE-FORK INNER 44013-0154 $357.47 X2
44005 PIPE-LEFT FORK OUTER,S.BLACK 44005-0087-32A $227.27
44006 PIPE-RIGHT FORK OUTER,S.BLACK 44006-0082-32A $227.27
92049 SEAL-OIL 92049-0073 $11.48 X2
While your in there might as well upgrade the bushings if you have more than 3k miles on the bike - $27
Oil - $12

MIRROR
56001A MIRROR-ASSY,RH 56001-0224 $64.40

BAR ENDS
13042 WEIGHT,HANDLE 13042-5002 $37.28

TURN SIGNALS
23040A LAMP-SIGNAL,FR,RH 23040-0110 $58.11
23037A LAMP-ASSY-SIGNAL,RR RH 23037-0208 $42.58

PLASTICS
55028K COWLING,SIDE,RH,P.S.WHITE 55028-0371-25Y $258.99
55028U COWLING,FIN,RH,M.F.S.BLACK 55028-0373-739 $53.46
36040E COVER-TAIL,LH,P.S.WHITE 36040-0119-25Y $52.26

Did the front nose get scratched?
55028C COWLING,UPP,P.S.WHITE 55028-0366-25Y $167.99

FRAME SLIDERS
Yoshimura Frame Sliders Kawasaki Ninja 650R 2012-2015 $180

FOOTREST
35063A STAY,STEP,RH,F.S.BLACK 35063-0872-18R $253.09
34028D STEP,RR,RH 34028-0315 $33.76
34028 STEP,RUBBER 34028-0133 $7.73

CLUTCH
11061 GASKET,CLUTCH COVER 11061-0164 $10.95
14032 COVER-CLUTCH 14032-0115 $145.90

MUFFLER - Did the brake lever dent the muffler?
Two Brothers Racing M-2 Black Series Titanium Full Exhaust System for 2012-2014 Kawasaki Ninja 650 $688.76

BRAKES
43001 LEVER-BRAKE 43001-0705 $68.20

DECALS
56054D MARK,SIDE COWLING,650 56054-1071 $6.78 X2
56054 MARK,LWR COWLING,KAWASAKI 56054-1067 $21.70X2
56054C MARK,TANK COVER,NINJA 56054-1070 $24.08X2

OIL + FILTER
Filter - K&N $11
Oil - $12-15X3

Hourly Rate to fix the bike by the dealer depending on your location $75-100/hr

#28 ·
That's about what it is here at the dealers, $80-90. Guy wanted $45 (30 minutes) to put on my grips during my first service and another $90 (1 hour) for the rim tape, he said it could be more if it took longer, that was on top of my regular service which was $117 with the price of the oil ($27). I just started laughing, I did let them do my first service just so I could prove to Kawasaki it had been done, I've done everything else including my rim tape and grips since.
So yes those prices seem average for here, they can charge whatever they want, I don't trust them!

#53 ·
For some dealers, the higher labor cost is to deter those piddly little jobs they don't want to do. It's about selling bikes or parts, and the warranty work... the other service is a necessary evil they have to provide.

#29 ·
The bike only took damage on the right hand side. I will post pictures later of the damage
What are your thoughts of the yoshimura sliders now that the bike went down? I just installed some Woodcraft sliders which required cutting of the fairings and was wondering if you now think you should go with sliders that require cutting due to it being a stronger slider?

#37 ·
I have mixed reviews about the Yoshi sliders actually... The one on the left hand side literally snapped off in a parking lot fall. While the one on the Right side held up very well in my crash, it saved all of the clutch cover during the slide.
I would go with another option, the Yoshi's are one of the more expensive options out there and only offer decent protection.

Reactions: kojiiro
#30 ·
My guess is close to some of the others... $2000-2500 for parts (maybe upwards of $3000 if you get full price oem from a crappy dealer) $1000-2000 of labor. Leaning towards $4000 total but up to $5000 depending on damage and labor rates.

If you plan to get the bike back to normal condition, or want to be able to sell it for what it would be worth, I'd go through insurance. They could potentially total it out if the price climbs too high.

#34 ·
Heres a pretty accurate way you can estimate your own crash damage.

Go take an honest look at your bike. Note all the damage. Assign a dollar figure to it.

Now, double that figure.

Then, add 30%. Most often, it will get you close to the final bill.

#36 ·
Thanks, I'm going to print all of this off. Very handy! and pretty accurate, The muffler did not have damage though

#38 ·
Hit it with a brick. Then tell them to pay for it. Win. Get a two brothers instead. Just kidding don't defraud them.

#40 ·
Yoshi on the right, Woodcraft on the left?

#42 ·
Pure genius!

Reactions: Lean It
#46 ·
I'm totally in support of people suiting up for a ride, and back home I was like you guys, been riding for so long that jacket, helmet, boots and gloves were not even a conscious thought....they just went on every time I picked up the bike keys. I have become lax over the last few years of living here - it's so damned hot and uncomfortable to wear gear, so i have regressed to wearing jeans, t-shirt and open-faced helmet for my everyday riding. Not saying that it's a good thing and CERTAINLY not recommending this to ANYONE...just sharing my personal situation...the only time I suit up is when Viperwolf and I go for a ride because I know it's going to involve some pace.

#50 ·
Yeah I always get the "I could never wear a jacket like that in summer" from non riders and even the cruiser guys. I'm like "first of all it's mesh, so I'm probably cooler with it on than without since the sun isn't on my skin-as long as I'm moving or there is a breeze"! "Second, I could never walk around missing half my hide like you will someday-cheers"! :) You can always see them thinking hard after that but not much to say!

Reactions: ai4px
#52 ·
The mesh *is* cooler... sun off my skin and wind blowing thru as long as I'm moving. Stop at a stop light too long and the equation changes really quick though.

As far as walking around with 1/2 your hyde missing.... 25 years ago when I was in college, an older friend asked if he could right my bike. I asked what experience he had on a bike because I'd never seen him on one and he was kinda yuppy. He pulled up his shirt to show me a huge gash/scar diagonal across his belly. He said he knew what NOT to do on a bike.

#51 ·
Still in progress I had some other financial obligations to fill first, I have been riding the bike to work every day (only 1.1 miles away so I feel safe) I still haven't taken the plastics off to inspect the hidden damage myself, it does lean to the right slightly now.
Where I'm located only has 1 very overpriced dealership, so I am looking for better places to get it inspected :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.