RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to put gas in the tank for the first time a couple days ago and the tank seems pretty loose. I can twist it side to side about 1/4 of an inch either side. I've never owned a bike that did this. Anyone else have this issue? This can't be normal, right?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had to put gas in the tank for the first time a couple days ago and the tank seems pretty loose. I can twist it side to side about 1/4 of an inch either side. I've never owned a bike that did this. Anyone else have this issue? This can't be normal, right?
I have the same "issue" i think, it's not completely stuck in place like on my ER6, just a tad loose. Was worried for a sec there but no bolts are loose or anything so I guess It's "normal"? Not sure what I could do to fix it otherwise.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the tank up and looked and the only thing I can think is to place something on the frame rails like a stiff foam to firm up the side support. I also have to do something about the tach speedo unit thingy. I'm getting an annoying buzzing vibration noise that is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Are you sure it's mounted correctly? It should fit snuggly in place near the steering head and be secured at the rear with bolts. It shouldn't move at all!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I took the tank up and looked and the only thing I can think is to place something on the frame rails like a stiff foam to firm up the side support. I also have to do something about the tach speedo unit thingy. I'm getting an annoying buzzing vibration noise that is driving me nuts.
I know exactly what you mean, my dash started vibrating after about 500K's!! It's been a while since i fixed mine, but i'm pretty sure you need to unbolt the bracket which holds the spring-loaded bolt/pin, then buy a bolt around the same size as the pin so it's nice and snug in the bracket. then chose which hole/setting you want the screen at, you may have to drill the hole out just a tad to get the bolt through. To get the screen to sit nice and straight, slide a washer between the 2 brackets, then do the bolt up. I don't change mine so i put lock-tight on it. This is the best pic i could get with my phone and without pulling the screen off. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure it's mounted correctly? It should fit snuggly in place near the steering head and be secured at the rear with bolts. It shouldn't move at all!

As far as I can tell. I took it apart and I couldn't see any other way it should be mounted or anything obvious missing. It seems like most bike's tanks rest on the air box and the frame rails. This seems like it should have side support from the frame rails but doesn't. Basicaly it is connected on either side of the ignition and at the base but lacks side support and therefore is pivoting slightly at it's contact points. I'll have to take it apart again in the day light as my garage doesn't have enough overhead light.

Thanks Drewboy for the pic. I'll take a closer look at mine as the buzzing is annoying.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It must be "normal"

As far as I can tell. I took it apart and I couldn't see any other way it should be mounted or anything obvious missing. It seems like most bike's tanks rest on the air box and the frame rails. This seems like it should have side support from the frame rails but doesn't. Basicaly it is connected on either side of the ignition and at the base but lacks side support and therefore is pivoting slightly at it's contact points. I'll have to take it apart again in the day light as my garage doesn't have enough overhead light.

Thanks Drewboy for the pic. I'll take a closer look at mine as the buzzing is annoying.
Mine does the same thing. It has some side to side movement. Also, the buzzing is very annoying. I'm going to put a bolt in mine too. It covers a lot of the intake noise I like to hear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cut a thick piece of canvas and slid it underneath the support/pivot beam and the console to silence the vibration. So far it's working and the canvas is hidden so it doesn't look ghetto even if it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts