RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've never had a fuel injected bike before, so this is my first time winterizing one. I've done many carbureted models over the years.

Is there anything special done for these?
What do you do?

Thanks

Kb

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hi all. I've never had a fuel injected bike before, so this is my first time winterizing one. I've done many carbureted models over the years.

Is there anything special done for these?
What do you do?

Thanks

Kb
Not that much really. Even though we have quite the winter here the bike isn't standing still more than 2 months without any riding.
Keep it cool and the battery will not drain much at all.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Just fuel stabilizer and battery tender like any other bike. If its going to sit for many months ensure the oil is clean and I'll jack the bike up to prevent flat spots on the tires.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm really just concerned about the injectors. Doing the stabilizer thing should cover it, yes?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
TOO SOON FOR WINTER TALK......NOOOOO:nono:LOL

·
Registered
724 Posts
winter?

Jon

·
Registered
860 Posts
Just fuel stabilizer and battery tender like any other bike. If its going to sit for many months ensure the oil is clean and I'll jack the bike up to prevent flat spots on the tires.
+1

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm really just concerned about the injectors. Doing the stabilizer thing should cover it, yes?
Yes. I use seafoam and run the motor for a few minutes after I pour it in.

Requirements are 1 oz to every gallon which would equate to 4.5 oz for the Mean Streak. For the winter, I use a minimum of 6 oz and a max of 8 oz. When riding season begins the following spring, it starts right up.

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never used Seafoam as a stabilizer. I've only ever used stabil stabilizer and never had any problems,

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oil change, stabilizer, battery tender, plug the pipes (so bugs n rodents don't move in), then cya in March. When I really feel froggy, I make sure my bikes are washed and waxed before I put em away. :p

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've never used Seafoam as a stabilizer. I've only ever used stabil stabilizer and never had any problems,
There is nothing better then Seafoam.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
The injectors will be fine. They're tougher to get gunked up than a carb, all those floats, jets and needles it's easy for it to get buildup. I run Stabil over the winter and then put a can of seafoam into the tank in the spring to help remove any water.

The other trick is you should have the tank filled up all the way with gas or else you risk rust in your tank.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I put some seafoam in the lawn mower and my old truck and they have never run better. I use it as a stabilizer in the 5 bikes we store for friend over the winter and they all run great every spring. Can't beat the stuff. Saw a web site somewhere that showed a comparison betweek foam and stabilizer do a search it sold me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Seafoam is great. Never thought about plugging the pipe.

Best thing to do for the Lawn Mower? leave the tank empty so it fills with rust. leave it out in the rain and snow with the plug out so the piston seizes. That way in the spring it will be shot, then hire the neighbor kid to mow the lawn and go ride your bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used to have a horrible time with my tires dry rotting over the winter, untill I started rubbing them down with baby powder. It seals the rubber and prevents any rot. Its messy but worth the trouble.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts