RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that a lot of people recomend lifting bike so tires don' get a flat spot. I have a platform lift that will not help this situation and I don't want to get a bike jack also. Would adding some air to the tires for storage help this problem or is there any other solution to this other than buying another bike lift? Thanks

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Last winter, I got on mine every week or so and rocked it back and forth, moving it a bit. It wasn't so much because of the flat spot thing, just that I was sitting on it waiting for spring yelling "VROOOOOM!!!!!". :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Manufacturers usually say to keep the correct tire pressure and place tires on wood as opposed to concrete to prevent drying out. I think the drying is part of the problem with flat spots. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Manufacturers usually say to keep the correct tire pressure and place tires on wood as opposed to concrete to prevent drying out. I think the drying is part of the problem with flat spots. My 2 cents.
I put mine on some 2x2' carpet samples. The floor in the room is slate. No idea why I did it, but that's what I do.

·
Registered
110 Posts
TimDull

That works too, slate=stone same properties as concrete. Wise move.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I need to spend some time riding around the garage in the winter making motorcycle sounds to up the fun factor LOL

·
Registered
472 Posts
I know bias ply tires will develop a flat spot if they sit too long but will go away after a few miles of driving. I've never heard that about Radial tires. This is the first time I've heard this being an issue for motorcycle

·
Registered
724 Posts
Last winter, I got on mine every week or so and rocked it back and forth, moving it a bit. It wasn't so much because of the flat spot thing, just that I was sitting on it waiting for spring yelling "VROOOOOM!!!!!". :D
I used to do the same thing when I lived up North. My wife thought (and was correct) that I was nuts.

Now I just ride all year.

Jon

·
Registered
110 Posts
"I used to do the same thing when I lived up North. My wife thought (and was correct) that I was nuts.

Now I just ride all year."

Jon,

Thanks a lot......

·
West Coast Moderator
13,031 Posts
I used to do the same thing when I lived up North. My wife thought (and was correct) that I was nuts.

Now I just ride all year.

Jon
That works for me too...haven't put a motorcycle away for winter in almost 15 years! I did park mine for a couple months this year because it was too hot to ride though. 110+ degrees is just a bit much and riding in the evening is bad because of all the flying (splattering) insects.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ya in the upper 100's is too much for me too but has anyone heard of cement rotting tires if left for too long in the winter? Just curious I used to park my bike on a carpet but havent done that in a while.

·
Registered
674 Posts
In the last 30 years, I've never blocked up any of my bikes to keep the tires off the ground during storage for the winter, and never had a problem with flat spots. Keep them inflated with the proper pressure and you shouldn't have any problems. Only issue I've ever had is with dry rot and cracking on the sidewalls from sun exposure over time.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Ive never put my bike on a lift for winter storage. I usually just ran it for a few minutes once a week and I would move it a few feet forward or back everytime just to be safe from flat spots. 80% of the time I would ride through the winter though but for the times when there was snow on the ground this is what I would do.

Hey Stuweicker how about letting me borrow that sick headlight for the winter while your not using it hahaha j/k

·
Registered
138 Posts
Then there's this method!
Stuweicker,

I was just given the same type of jack. Where is the best location on the frame to put the pedestals? How stable does the bike feel when jacked up? I need to remove my forks to replace a seal.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The position that it's in right now has the lift point on the left side just under the front mount for the foot controls. This lifts the front wheel off. Moving back a few inches will lift the rear up. I find the jack pretty stable if you use it properly. It might be hard to see in the pic but the rear is being held by a bar that runs under the struts and is supported by some cinder blocks on each side. Whatever works!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts