RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, it's getting pretty chilly. Almost time to put the bikes up for the crappiest season of the year. I for one, plan to take this time to open it up and do some modding.

So far, I fo sho want to put a 12v socket on it; for a compressor just in case, but really I want to put a radar detector on there.

Depending on funds, an exhaust and power commander would be nice.
Maybe one or the other. Exhaust oughta come first, right?

Projectors would be nice, but that seems like an awful lot of room for me to screw something up. Especially with putting bike parts in the oven!:flamethro

Any other convenient ideas? What are you guys doing, if anything?

·
Registered
540 Posts
IMHO, wrong on the pipe before PC. I'd either decide on a concrete dual purchase, don't buy one w/out the other or in base case scenario the PC first.

Too many things change with a new pipe, you really need to change the map to account.

Then there are the poor souls who bought a CF 2bros pipe and had their rivets blow. Pressure, compression ratio, whatever... I would bet that it wouldn't have happened to me had I installed some type of fuel injector module.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I'm surprised by the quick replies... For travelling, I have my Motocentric tailbag. If it won't fit in there, it's not necessary. Or.. maybe it'll fit in a bookbag.

As far as exhaust and PC go, that's why I asked. I like that idea better anyway.:FIREdevil

Another idea, as I've heard wonderful things, is a 636 front end. But that seems like fate has to come knocking on your front door. Or you spend quite a bit of moneys.

But, suspension upgrades sound nice, don't they?

Probably go for the Racetech valve emulators on the front before the shock on the back, eh? Front end seems to be where all the action is at.

This is all in the high hopes of me saving a wee bit o cash, of course.

Any worthwhile cheap/free mods?
I've already done the pair valve, snorkels, and sub-throttle plates. I'm kind of debating putting the plates back on, though. I like the sound, but I think that was more from removing the snorkels. Either way, I can't tell any difference. And after browsing some posts, it seems as though me doing random air-box mods could actually hurt my performance...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
most slipons dont require any remapping. my LV SBK ran perfectly with a completely stock map.

exhaust should be first, the bike sounds so much better with almost any slipon in addition to a few HP gain.

for suspension, SV650 front preload caps are now available from BRP http://www.brp650forum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2248

a 636 front end swap is going to require you find some clipons with serious rise to clear your factory bodywork, or the LSL upper triple with bar clamps.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Emulators and springs, matched properly to your weight and riding style, do a lot to cure the front end. The main advantage to the 636 after that is brakes. For a streetbike, I don't think it's worth the trouble, unless you just like wrenching.

The main advantage of the Givi bags is lockable storage. I like to put gear or other valubles in it when I'm out and about so that I can walk away without worrying about them.

PC isn't necessary with a slipon, as mentioned, but the main advantage of just a slipon is weight savings. A full system and modifying the airbox will move more air - at which point you'll want a PC to match the fuel.

I liked the sportbars a lot better than the stock bars for street use.

Get a dirtbike and go riding in the snow. :D The skills you pick up from sliding around will do a lot to make the 650 more fun.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Get a dirtbike and go riding in the snow. :D The skills you pick up from sliding around will do a lot to make the 650 more fun.
And you can do that without much money invested. I picked up my '93 Honda XR250L dual sport for 600 bucks two years ago. low miles and new tires. A lot of fun and you can ride on the roads to get to the trails.

·
Registered
540 Posts
based on my experience i wouldn't get a pipe without a pc anymore... i'm sure it can work though. just don't get CF

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just bought a pit bike for some winter fun for when the street bike is in the garage. There are a few trails around here to hit up and a lot of tracks to ride it on. A few of my friends have 50's and I've been waiting to get a pit bike for a long time. Fortunately though, I live in San Antonio, and its riding season at least 3/4 of the year. My bike is my main transport, so when it starts to get cold I don't ride for fun anymore, just to get where I'm going. I'll post pics of the pit bike up when it arrives, should be sometime this week.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Heated grips are a cheap mod if you use the bar wrap kind. This has been one of my best mods and get used all year, even for cold summer mornings in the mountains.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This winter I'll be getting clip-ons and a PCV. Also, a new gas cap cause the key hole is destroyed. Can't get my key in, and when it does get in, I can't get it out. I'll have to do some diggin' to try and find a decent one.

Anything else I invest in will be purely cosmetic. I will be replacing my coolant overflow with something. Not sure if I want to hide it or have a liquor bottle on the side.:alcy:

·
Banned
357 Posts
I am currently looking for a mid 70's Moto Guzzi T-3 of Lemans to start to restore over the winter months.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've contemplated getting my rims powdercoated to match the bike but I think imma save my money and get a 600cc bike in the spring go for a full upgrae maybe a zzr600 cause I still wanna be able to take road trips witout killin my knees and wrists

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
170 Posts
I prefer handguards to heated grips. I've found that heated grips burn my palms and let the backs of my hands freeze. Handguards keep the wind from stripping the warmth out of your hands.

I put the Cycra Probends on my Versys. Either those or the Acerbis Rally Pro - they're both quite sturdy and can take a lot of abuse.

They keep the bugs off, too. :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the cheap acerbis ones to see if I'll like them or not . Idk if I really need protection from debris on my streetbike, so they should be ok. I just how they're big enough ro actually deflect wind.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
im trying to save for a new bike. 675 hopefuly. As for as mods for my bike. Im just about done with it. I might do a lower front sprocket change.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh god that Daytona is the sexxx... btw, I got my handguards in today. They're trash. I'm going to send them back.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts