RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to put her up for the winter but have one question. I've got a battery tender ready, some Stab-Bil and some towels to plug up my exhaust hole but I was unsure if it is really necessary to change the oil. I have always changed it every 3k miles and right now I'm at like 1.5k and was curious if leaving oil sit still for 3 or so months can have any effects like gasoline (gum and rust) or not?

Thanks

2Wheels2Fast

·
Banned
679 Posts
I'm getting ready to put her up for the winter but have one question. I've got a battery tender ready, some Stab-Bil and some towels to plug up my exhaust hole but I was unsure if it is really necessary to change the oil. I have always changed it every 3k miles and right now I'm at like 1.5k and was curious if leaving oil sit still for 3 or so months can have any effects like gasoline (gum and rust) or not?

Thanks

2Wheels2Fast
Nah, your good. 1.5 is basically the cut off for when you should change your oil before the winter. And I'm not sure what Stab-bil is but I did some research on stabilizer for the winter and found out that the best possible stabilizer on the market is those used for boats...some thing to look into unless that's what your already using.

And I know the technology in tires has improved drastically over the years so flat spots aren't really an issue if its just 5 months or so but my father still makes me put it up on both front/rear stands.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes, absolutely change the motor oil, there is acids and moisture that accumulate, this is what will do damage during storage.
1500 miles on the oil, I would change just because its so cheap. But you got to do what makes you feel good.

·
Registered
299 Posts
this will be my first winter, prob have another 2 weeks of riding, was really wondering what i need to do or have to do. Do i really need a battery tender? I know you should plug the exhaust up with a towel. DO i unhook any cables like battery. Can you leave gasoline in the tank. It will be in a garage all winter for prob like 4 months. I really need a run through of what you should or shouldnt do.
thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
What's with the towel in the exhaust? I change my oil and fill tank add stabilizer and call it good. But the towel things is confusing me:dunno::dunno::

·
Banned
679 Posts
What's with the towel in the exhaust? I change my oil and fill tank add stabilizer and call it good. But the towel things is confusing me:dunno::dunno::
I assume its being kept outside or maybe for animals

·
Registered
366 Posts
Why store it? If the roads aren't icy, keep on riding!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I always run stabilizer in my last tank and I still empty it and run it out of gas just to be safe. I also take the battery out and store it in my house instead of using a battery tender. Raising the bike off the ground is good for flat spots and keeping it off concrete because concrete tends to suck moisture out of things. I would assume that if you do not park it on concrete then you should be just fine as mentioned by Nicklovin. Covering the exhaust is good to keep moisture out. I do not have an attached garage so I do it just to be safe. It takes a second. I also change the oil. It is about $20 dollars here which is the equivalent of $5 dollars a month for peace of mind. I think that is idea, what is an hour or a few bucks to make sure you did everything to keep your bike in good condition.

·
Registered
256 Posts
- Fill the gas tank up
- I always take battery out and just charge it once a month
- I stuff the exhaust
- I usally do an oil change 1st of spring
Op I'm like you debating an oil change since I have less than 1k miles since my last oil change.

·
Banned
357 Posts

Thanks

2Wheels2Fast
Do you have to change the oil? Well that depends. If you are the type that starts up your bike every now and then over the winter don't change the oil. As soon as you run the bike for a while the oil will be contaminated with acids from combustion. By simply idiling the bike and not riding it for a good 15 or 20minutes the oil will not reach temperatures needed to burn off some of the contaminates and will potentially become more acidic.

If you can resist temptation and not start your bike until spring arises yes change your oil and you will be ready to go in the spring. Also top off your fuel tank w/ fresh gas and stay-bil or an equal. A full tank will not atract moisture like a partial tank will.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I always use Staybil in the gas tank and put a trickle.charger on it all winter. It starts right up in the spring. The trickle charger will also extend the life of a battery

·
Registered
45 Posts
My best advice would be to fill up with ethanol free gas and run it into the engine. Ethanol sitting for several months is not good....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts