RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Team green knows about this common problem, why are we doing this ourselves? Why isn't Kawasaki taking care of this for us? It's obviously a flaw in the bike if everybody knows this trick.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
dbc- You're obviously replying to another thread... but which one? What problem are you discussing? ;)

kelly

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Hey DBC, and welcome to the board. I've had my '00 ZR-7 for a year now, and have installed a Yoshimura round race slip on, a K&N filter, and have a Dynojet jet kit ready to be installed soon. My ZR runs likes the tailight is on fire, so I'm not sure of what your concern is? Tom

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
It's not a design flaw. It is part of the emissions. Even for the states that don't have the excessive laws like Ca., there are still federal standards that have to be met. A lean mixture burns a little hotter, burning more of the fuel. Plus there's less gas in the mixture to burn off. What doesn't burn goes into the reburn tube (if you still have one) for recycling.

BTW, welcome!

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
Right on Martin, if Kawasaki had their choice I'm sure they'd rather have the mixture spot-on rather than lean. But with EPA regulations they don't have a choice. The good thing is that it's so easy for us owners to correct the problem by turning out the screws, and optionally removing the EGR aparatus (not that I'd recommend such a thing :rolleyes: ).

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
I'm following , no problem.

Just curious though. Where exactly did this thread start ? And why did it jump here in the middle? Is this an old thread ?

Tony

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,742 Posts
Tony, it's just a dream, not a thread

Ya know, dbc254 has a good point here! If your typical car buyer came sputtering out of the dealership you would be right back and all over them to get this thing to run perfectly. I would hate to be the one explaining this to the customer - that's the way it is.

There's gotta be a better way to deliver a half decent running bike out the showroom door (well, fuel injection, yes). Any thoughts how they could do this and still meet the EPA stuff with a carburetor?

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Thanks Berto, I feel so welcome to the clique now, gee wiz !
Since it's just a dream, why don't you seal up your exhaust entirely so no emissions escape. The government, yes, that's the answer. Good thing they make it possible to change though, huh?

·
5,742 Posts
MedZR7Treker said:
Thanks Berto, I feel so welcome to the clique now, gee wiz !
Since it's just a dream, why don't you seal up your exhaust entirely so no emissions escape. The government, yes, that's the answer. Good thing they make it possible to change though, huh?
Tony, I hope you aren't taking my subheading personal. If I have offended then my sincere apologies! My comment about "your dreamin" was a reference to one of your posts on the K-TRIC thread. Yes, I am a wise-guy.

Anyway, believe the Bike Manufacturers are resisting fuel-injection on all street bikes (yes, it would cost us) with EPA pressure; and a marginally tuned machine out the door of the dealership is the answer! That's what stinks.

Yes, at least we can change it. I will. Meantime I've routed the exhaust to my daughter's bedroom and if that boy sneaks in there....

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Fortunately for the auto buying public, the smog on cars has been improved by leaps and bounds. Remember the junk that was rolling off the car lots in the late 70's and early 80's? My sister boought a '78 Camaro with a 305 that would hardly get out of it's own tracks. Unfortunately for the motorcycle buying public (that would be us), the same achievements in smog devices/performance haven't been made, so we're pretty much gonna have to "bootleg" it until they get it right. The one advantage we do have is once it comes off the lot, it doesn't get smogged again, so there's no yearly trips to the state smog station to check for compliance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I understand the emmisions side of it but what about quality control.....I pulled my carbs yesterday and removed the soft plugs...my jets were set at #(1)- 1/2 turn, #(2) - 1 turn,
#(3) - 1 1/4 turn and #(4) - 0 turns as in "OFF". No wonder it had a flat spot and poor idle. I reset them to 2 1/4 turns and then synched the carbs. Wow....what a difference.. no reason the factory couldn't get it closer even if it was on the lean side. For you guys that are thinking about tackling this job, its not bad at all. Remove the tank all the way and buy some fuel hose so that you can set the tank near the bike on a table or something...this way you have good access to carbs and adjustments.

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Hey Berto...

No, that's just me. I'll jump all over you, then, when I see you're bigger than me, I'll run away with my tail between my legs.
:laugh:
It's my belief that some of the old timers here are starting to get used to it. It's a New York thing. Yeah, yeah,sure,sure.And, hey, just make sure she's not in there too when you do that.
:laugh:
Hey Martin "bootleg," wow, powerful term there. I like it ! It's so true though. We're never gonna change the world, let's just stick to changing our bikes. No one really cares what you do to your bike anyhow. Cars, jetskies, ect, those are the center of attention in the public's mind. Maybe we should be thankful, in a way, that we go un-noticed, in more ways than one.
:rolleyes:

Tony

·
5,742 Posts
Tony, fagettaboutit. It's not me ya' gotta worry about. It's the big Nun in the full-face habit - she'll talk to your Nun.. I'm sure it won't be a problem, they'll work it out.:laugh:

Woody, Maybe we when buy these things from the dealers and they insist on the setup fee - we make them agree to double our money back on the setup fee and pay for work done by another certified dealer should we find these problems:mad:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Berto...I agree...I had a problem when I bought the bike within 1 mile of the dealer.....They forgot to hook the vacuum hose up to the fuel petcock....so it wouldnt run except for in the prime position..... I told them then what I thought about the fee for dealer prep!!! The ZR7 and ZR7S are simple bikes and easy to work on. Theres no excuse for thier lack of a quality prep prior to delivery. To bad because they lose business later. I refuse to let a dealer touch my stuff once I take delivery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts