RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Brutal Honesty

I've got to be brutally honest and admit I bought my first street bike at age 19 hoping it would attract women. It did attract a few, but after they rode with me and I unintentionally scared them to death, it was obvious my plan was flawed and counterproductive.

Although before long, I learned the true meaning of motorcycling and forgot all about women when I was riding. I found the rush and exhilaration on one hand, and the peace and "discovery" on the other. One form of discovery I speak of is that spiritual thing that just happens on a bike at certain magical moments. I'm not religious, but I swear the only time God talks to me is when I'm riding! It can happen in fast twisties, riding in a group or alone and even stopped at some vista point! Some of you probably know what I mean...

-Paul R

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why I Ride

One of the "peak" moments of my life occurred while riding. I was coming home to California, from a Sportster Rally, in Missouri. I was the only vehicle for miles on a Utah highway. The air temperature was 85, I was doing 75 mph, the wind was at my back. The sky was an intense blue, thunderheads were soaring thousands of feet into the air against a background of red rock formations. I will remember that feeling for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I wish that I would have found this earlier in life also, because it is way better than having four wheels. I mainly bought it to ride back and fourth to work because filling up for $10 is cheaper than $60 in my truck. Now after getting my bike and riding back and forth work, I want to ride everywhere I go. I want to always get something new for my bike, but for now I want to improve my riding ability so that I can enjoy it even more.

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
jperkins812 said:
I wish that I would have found this earlier in life also, because it is way better than having four wheels. I mainly bought it to ride back and fourth to work because filling up for $10 is cheaper than $60 in my truck. Now after getting my bike and riding back and forth work, I want to ride everywhere I go. I want to always get something new for my bike, but for now I want to improve my riding ability so that I can enjoy it even more.
Amen brother........... :smokin:
plus @55 I like the way my older friends think I'm a bad boy "Rebel'. :cool:

all's I can say is "Vroom, Vroom"

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just love it. Can't put it into words any better than some of the posters before me. I commute on the bike and go for joy rides on the weekends when I can. Everything looks better when seen from inside a helmet. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ride for the thrill. I like getting to know my bike (SV650S) and learning my limits and practicing to increase those limits. Always ride safely, but as a new rider, my goal is to become better and more experienced. Eventually I would like to get a 750cc or higher bike and that will take good riding ability on my part. So almost every weekend I get geared up and take the bike to an empty parking lot or out on roads with slight traffic to learn my way around the and how I and my bike can work together.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ride for a couple of reasons.

I first started riding because when I was little I would drool as I saw sport bikes passing me, and then just go WOW as they leaned over and dropped the knee to the pavement, or slid their hand in a left turn.

Then after a few months of heavy riding, I realized why those guys back then probably rode. For that sense of freedom, to do something that only a small fraction of the population can do. (So what if it went from 1% to 6%). The ever changing smells that come from the highway (some bad, most good). The smell of exhaust. The look of those trying to figure out why the hell we ride those things. The sense of being able to leave everything behind, even if it just a 10 minute trip to and from. That's why I ride now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The combination of my math teacher from my senior year of high school (Matt Johnson, who used to race quite a bit semi-pro, and still does for fun, but he recently moved back to CO), and a close friend of mine in Vegas whose family has 8 bikes total (she personally has an older gpz, and a new katana)... they are what caused the bug to infect me, having to get a bike and not resting til I'd done so. They are also part of my constant thrive to constantly increase my skill, excel, push the limits, et al (gotta match their level at some point :p, though I do what I can to stay safe).

All of my riding is for personal goals, meditation (KXonZ's signature puts it quite well, actually), and, of course, fun!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Partially to be different, partially for the social good, but mostly because its hard. Hard to pull on gear, to stay safe, to get respect from cages. I've never liked anything that was too easy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For me, riding a motorcycle it's way of life. I remember the first time my uncle took me for a ride on his GSX600F, when I was 9 years old. I knew at that moment that something in my mind changed , motorcycles became one of my desirable dreams.

Riding makes me feel satisfied with big smile all over my face beneath the helmet. I feel free and happy, not worry about a thing but at the same time very aware for what happens around me.
I love the sound, I love the speed, I love the look and it's nice to get attention sometimes. :)

It makes me feel the kind of excitement I love the most, a lot of adrenalin, clear thoughts... for me, riding gives a special zest and perception.
It's something I would want to do everyday all day.

LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE ;)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I originally abhored the idea of motorcycles, especially crotch rockets. I grew up in a steel mill family where it was American cars, American cars and if you were stupid, an American bike (i.e. Harleys only, if you were to ride a bike). My instructor at Ft. Sill was a very smart, level headed man with all sorts of licences. Tanks, APCs, HMMWVs, tracked vehicles galore, cars, motorcycles and airplanes, you name it, he has it. He seemed like a reasonable enough guy. We got to talking about my dislike or bikes and he convinced me of a few things that got me into bikes. Rising gas prices was the big one. I bought a bike a week or so later. After that, I found more reasons for why I loved riding.

Gas mileage
Pure fun
The fact that it scares the crap out of me
Being scared lets you know you're alive
It's a great commuter
It's also a convertible
It's the only Kawi Green 2007 ZX6R in OK

I could go on for forever, but I figured that is enough.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To start off, when I met my husband, he had an 84 750 Shadow. That thing was totally cool - why do you think I eventually married him? Anyway, he tried to teach me how to ride back then and I was way too scared and nervous to even entertain that idea seriously.
Over the years, the idea crossed my mind, but I was still too chicken - all the what-ifs kept invading my brain: what if I crashed, what if I had an accident, what if I went flying off some cliff somewhere... It wasn't until last year that I was told I wasn't going to get "training wheels" (an ATV), that I was going to learn how to ride the dirt bike he bought back for me. I wasn't going to be "Chuck Wagon" anymore (pack up the wienies and buns and build a campfire where the guys are riding).
So off I went. I made him and his friend go ahead of me so I wouldn't embarass myself by stalling the bike AND THEN try to kick start the thing again. Now I wonder why I didn't do it any sooner. I am now the proud owner of a Honda XR350R and an 07 Kawasaki Mean Streak.
I ride to escape, I ride to be free. No cages around me! Once I get onto the open road or the open trail, everything just slips away and I experience a sense of freedom that I never had before. Just for the record, we snowmobile too - I get the totally same feeling there as well, just on top of a mountain somewhere. It is way too exhilirating to be able to put it aptly into words.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I ride for several reasons.

1) Greeeat gas mileage. My parents and most other people get mad at me (jokingly) when I joke about how I filled up my whole tank of premium for not even 10 bucks. lol.

2) Fun and freedom! It is just you and the road. Nothing blocking you off from everything around, no music, no drinks, no cellphone (unless you're skilled and risky. lol). I just love the sense of freedom and enjoyment. You cant go on a 70 mile, one hour, cruise in a car just to enjoy it and improve your skills!

3) Always wanted to! Ever since I was a little kid, as long as I can remember, I have always been fascinated with motorcycles. I always looked at them when they drove by, I always loved being a motorcycle on racing games, pretended my bicycle was a motorcycle all the time, etc.

4) My best friend does it. Unfortunately, he doesnt do it yeeet because he cant get a loan and his mom cant co-sign. But he got his M license before I did and he is the one that helped me take the course and do this all. And I am always looking forward to riding beside him.

Finally... This will probably be hard to understand for most of you, but its the truth... One of the main reasons I chose a bike, despite the constant and unending lectures from eeeveryone about how stupid it is and how eternally deadly they are; The fact that it is much harder for me to hurt other people. I absolutely HATE seeing all the time on the news how somebody on too many advil was drinking coffee and talking on their cell while driving their several ton SUV, and crashed into a bus stop killing several innocent people. Even though I dont know any of them are, I just feel sick and pissed knowing people can do that.

Even though I'm only 19, I'm smart enough to know I need to learn, a lot, and will undoubtedly continue to make mistakes from time to time while on the road. And honestly, I feel much better knowing that I can kill myself from hitting a pothole on accident when nobody else is on the road, as opposed to knowing that I can be completely uninjured after mowing down a group of children because I was too busy enjoying all the luxeries my car would have to offer.

If I do something stupid, or accidently make a mistake on my bike, chances are I wont hurt anyone but myself. If I hit a car, I'll probably just dent it. The only real way I can hurt an actual person is if I crash directly into them, pretty much. And I feel much better knowing there is that much less chance of me ruining somebodys life. I'm one of the few that would rather die myself than end the life (or even severely injure) any random undeserving stranger.

Of course, I can also be killed from an idiot running a redlight, or someone not seeing me, but that is a risk I'm willing to take. :angel:

And thaaat is why I ride! :righton:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I ride for many of the same reasons listed before me, the speed, the freedom ect ect... but even with a decade and a half under my belt I still get really excited every time I turn the key and start my bike.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Best therapy going, no shrinks no appointments... Unfortunately I only get about 7 or 8 months a year riding here in Quebec.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts