RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
This morning I woke up with the ache and stuffy head of a cold. Getting ready for work, I got dressed to drive the car. When I went outside there was a light rain falling but the sky appeared to be clearing. So I decided to take the bike instead and got into my riding gear. Forgot all about being miserable with a cold..............

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I had dirt bikes as a kid on my parents farm (Kawi KD 125 and Can-Am MX4), but the demands of teenagerhood, cars, beer, girls, college meant that I couldn't afford to get a bike for a while. Met my wife and got married. Talked about getting a bike when the time was right. She didn't say no, but her opinion wasn't going to be part of the decision anyway. 14 years ago while playing softball I broke my fibula lengthwise, breaking my ankle in 3 places, displacing my ankle, which finished my recreational softball career. After the birth of our daughter, finances were right enought to buy my brothers '83 Honda VT 500 Ascot. Assuaged the wife's fears by taking the safety course and always wearing protective gear. After a year or two realising how much I liked riding, it left for an '83 Honda CX 650E, which left after a couple of years for the '02 ZR-7S. Why do I ride? To experience life ... as others say to feel alive. To have the smells of wherever I've going force fed into my sinuses. To see places on roads I never would have taken in the car. To meet some really interesting and upstanding people. To put the fun of physics into action. To scare myself silly, then giggle in my helmet after realising I have the skills to pull it off. Riding on my favorite curvey roads is a lot like downhill skiing, getting out early to have that first perfect run alone on the hill on groomed conditions, only without the lineups for the chairlift and risk of frostbite.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I started riding late in life.(around 40) I am sixty now and love to ride more than ever. The older I get, the more riding makes me feel alive.

If I had to pick a number one reason I love riding it would be the days I feel like I was perfect in my ride. All rides are good but sometimes it really clicks. Cornering is exact, braking and excelleration are right on and I am one with the machine.

Those days are the things that keep me coming back. It is the same thing that happens to golfers. They can play 20 games of golf but one good strike of the ball will make you want to play again.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I am also an adrenalin junky

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Riding makes the road more interesting. Can see everything all around easily. Taking routine routes becomes an adventure.
Hightened senses and smarts neccessary to ride. Riding makes you a professional driver.
No more being underdog performance wise on the roads. The thousands of mini drag races in everyday traffic. Can win or lose your choice.
In terms of traffic laws and the bikes preformance. Has riders breaking laws right and left. This hoisted the rider out of that HoHum legal beagle driving for decades. Into if your lucky won't get a traffic ticket this time.
The social forces that try domesticate everyone to conform. Riders have antibodies towards these infections. Getting on a bike, the rider knows it's right.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Because I can!!

Basically, that sums it up. BECAUSE I CAN! Growing up there was a loonngg list of things that I could not do, as my folks did not think it was appropriate. Growing my hair long and having a motorcycle were both on that list.

While in the Navy in Charleston SC, with disposable income that permitted it, I bought my first motorcycle because I COULD! It was a brand new, fresh from the crate 1982 Suzuki GS650L. Rode it often, took the MSF course and realized that this was the ticket. Just fell in lust with riding. Kept that bike 12 years then gave it to my sister and stopped riding for 8 years. It was alright for the first 4 years. I did not miss it all that much. But, I made the "mistake" of taking a friends bike out for a short jaunt one day and realized how much I missed it. From that point on, each passing day made my desire/need for a bike that much worse. Finally got the ZR-7S in April 2002. I look forward to and enjoy my rides whenever I get out there. I don't have to go anywhere special, it is just being on the bike. :woot:
I suspect I'll keep riding now, until I can't for some reason. :dance:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I started to ride to do something to get my mind off my ex and the divorce. And found a group of brothers and sisters that I have made into my new family.

I ride for the freedom, the looks, the riders and for them:

I'm the one in the Cruiser

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Bronto said:
Hightened senses and smarts neccessary to ride. Riding makes you a professional driver....Getting on a bike, the rider knows it's right.
Amen. I feel like a much better driver in my cage than I used to be. And I'd SO much rather be on my bike! There were a few weeks this summer where I barely touched my car. Ah, those were the days.

Interesting...pretty much the same exact thread is going on at the VFR site I'm on. Must be winter, huh? If I have time this weekend I'm going to detail my bike, just to spend some quality time with 'er. Pretty sad, huh? Guess that says something about my level of addiction. :wink:

·
Registered
973 Posts
axil said:
I commute on the bike just to be riding.
- Axil(-eration)
+1!!! Couldn't have said it better myself... :cool:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I too ride for pleasure only. Maybe ride for fun to work on occasion. I started out on a minibike back in the seventies and got my first dual-sport (1975 Yamaha DT 125) and never looked back.

I consider myself more of a dirt rider than street. I have had many Motocross bikes with my first being a brand new 1985 Yamaha YZ 250. I never really rode street bikes that much but always had dual sports for the street. I have never owned a sportbike but admired them from afar.

Picked up my Z1000 in August of 2004 because I wanted something to play with and modify. I think I went a little overboard on the modding but it is all in fun. I have learned very much from this site, and continue to learn from all you hard core street/track riders.... :woot:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ride for the sheer joy of it. Because it is a skill that I learned late in life. For the freedom it gives me.

I love that it has given me a chance to create some amazing mother-daughter memories taking trips with my 16 year old daughter riding pillion.

I also love the 'wow' response. I get a kick when I see the surprise in folks' faces when they realize that the person piloting that big motorcycle is a woman.

P

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
old topic, why ride

I have to say that I did the right thing when I wanted a bike for "cheap entertainment".
Lately I have been burning the candle at both ends to make up for a slow winter in home remodeling, and at 57 the candle has been torched many times already, 12 hour days and all weekend, but when I get on my bike and launch from the on ramp or just riding around for a couple of nocturnal hours I am totally refreshed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ride because it gives me freedom, power, self-control, joy, relief from everyday life, fun, pride in being able to do it, camaraderie with others who ride, a connection to my bike (who I swear loves it too), legal dare-deviling and time in the wind. Many benefits, no downside.

Am re-reading Melissa Holbrook Pierson's "The Perfect Vehicle: What It Is About Motorcycles." She knows. Plus she rode Moto Guzzis. :)

The t-shirts say, "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand," but that's flippant and rude. This is a fine question you've posted, and thanks for posting it.

My simplest, most compelling explanation is that sometimes I find myself, inside my helmet, with tears in my eyes and a big smile on my face, flying along fast and praying, "Thank you God for speed. Thank you God for SPEED!"

·
DucOwner3
264 Posts
Thanks for the pics rodshadow. I see several familiar bikes in that group.
Lots of good answers in this thread. With a smaller bike (not necessarily less powerful), the bike seems to disappear sometimes, leaving the wind and speed. Feels like flying.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Serpentine said:
I ride because when I'm on a bike it's the only time I'm truly at home.
+1 for Langoliers

·
El Controlador
1,074 Posts
80% of it for me is explained in my signature , but the pleasant side effects (which makes up the other 20%) include fun, challenge, time killer, transportation on a daily basis, comraderie and a basicaly filling the need to occasionally move at an extremely high rate of speed.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I ride daily back and forth to work, 30mi there and 30mi back, and it takes away from the daily grind. Motorcycling also is a great form of stress relief for me, and I enjoy all of the fellowship that comes with it as well. :cool: :woot: :ithank:

·
Registered
51 Posts
i ride because it is in me. before i was born the only transportation my parents had was a motorcycle so i was riding in the womb. knowing my father i'm sue i was traveling at over 100mph on some late 70's early 80's kawi sportsbike. it's been part of my life since forever and almost ever time i get on my bike i think of my father and say a little thank you, for giving me this gift. i ride to work then take the longest way home i can find, i ride to the store or to friends houses, i ride for the sake of riding. i like the little power trip knowing i'm faster then any car around and with a simple twist i never have to see that person again, i like leaning over in the corners and knowing i could/should be taking the turn harder. i like when girls look and guys get jealous, i like when kids want me to wheelie and when parents get mad. i like when i take a girl out she has to hold onto me and can't really say to much. i like the control and the freedom, the danger and risks and the rewards. i really love the look on peoples faces after i tell them stories about going down and then putting my helmet on to leave. i just really like motorcycles, a lot.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I ride because there is no other experience for me that compares to it.

I ride for all the riders that have yet to ride.

I ride for all the riders that can no longer ride.

I ride for the smile on my face, and those around me.

I ride for the rush.

I ride for the calming ability.

I ride to ride... There's not enough room to name them all.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts