RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont remember if this has ever been brought up before. I think it is a good way to get to know some of the other members here and to learn what makes them tick. It may also say alot about the bike they choose to ride. Besides, it's almost winter and we need something to talk about.
Why do you ride?

I ride for pleasure. I rarely commute but I do sometimes use the bike to run errands. When I ride it is usually when I have free time. That way I am completely free to enjoy the ride. I usually ride alone, but sometimes ride with friends. I'm not a real fast rider, I like to ride at a fun pace but leave myself a bit of a margin of error. Crashing is not an option. My favorite part of riding is leaning over in a corner. That is the single most exhilerating part of the ride to me. I've had cars that were fun to drive but I've never jumped in a car and drove fun roads for hours at a time like I do on my ZR. Speaking of the ZR, I chose it because of it's low cost, good handling, comfort, versatility, and looks. It does everything well enough for me to thoroughly enjoy riding it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
On my way to the school bus in 7th grade we would pass by these two sportbikes parked in the street. I would just stare at them. I knew that this would be something I wanted to do as soon as possible. I ride for the excitement and the fun of being on something so fast and powerful yet so light. I love the looks and the stares, I love the sound and the acceleration. It's also a brotherhood that non-riders just don't understand.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
interesting question...i tour more then i actually ride if that makes any sense...so i tour because as a kid I used to be on road trips all the time crossing the continent to go somewhere, i never found it that interesting to be stuck in the car but found it fun to go to all these places...the however i'd always see these guys on bikes loaded down with gear and thought it was cool how they were out there in the wind going to wherever and thought maybe one day i'd do it too...since getting my license at the end of h.s. i've never stopped touring...its just too bad my dad gave up riding after he wiped out on gravel a while back...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Too hard to do stoppies in a cage. j/k!:laugh:

I ride for the solitude I get while on the bike. It is a way for me to "get away from things". It's kind of like having a pet. If your day at work is shi**y, when you get home, your pet loves you unconditionally and makes everything better. I get the same feeling when riding. No matter how stressed I get at work, I can get on the bike and let those things go the way of the wind.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Wildcat said:
Too hard to do stoppies in a cage. j/k!:laugh:
Can't do wheelies either LOLOL :headbang:

I just love the freedom of being able to be alone & let the whole experience of "living the moment" clear my mind of all the junk that can clutter our thoughts. I think this is the best explanation I can give.
I liken motorcycle riding to one of those things that you can't explain in words, it needs to be experienced.

Joshua

PS. Another thing that I REALLY enjoy is the "Brotherhood" we share as motorcyclists. No matter what you ride, if it's on 2 wheels it brings us together. Sure there are differences American, Japanese, European, etc... However we are ALL motorcyclists & we love our bikes.
If you look at the car community you'll very rarely see a group of Ford guys hang'n or crusing w/ Chevy, Dodge, or import guys. Although you see motorcyclists crusing together in relative harmony.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I ride for the solitude. It clears my mind and allows me to concentrate on the road and the bike. the total control and the possibility of that control to spiral out of my hands! The brotherhood, here in San Antonio, we wave but it is really cliqueish. it seems that I have yet to find a group of guys to ride w/. however I haven't taken the time to get to know the tsba guys yet. but the ride is all that matters some days!

thanx,

Shayne :bat:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I rode a 3 HP minibike when I was 12 years old and I've been hooked ever since. My parents never would let me have any kind of two-wheeled transport, so the first thing I did when I moved out on my own was buy a used 1973 Yamaha CT175. From there I progressed up to a '78 Suzuki GS1000. Then, in 1981, my second child was born and I had no medical insurance at the time. I had to sell the bike to pay the bills. Family, houses, jobs, moving, all took priority over biking, but I still kept the desire. Then in 1989, I bought a little KLR250 (still have it) and I've never looked back.

I enjoy the freedom, the comraderie, and the sensations you can only experience on a bike. I recently talked to an 87 year old man who was riding a Harley. I hope to be still riding at that age and beyond!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I started riding because my college roomate had a Honda CL350 and he let me try it. I eventually bought it, when he got his CB750 and have loved riding ever since.

But why now do I ride. I commute a lot, and try to do some sport riding on the weekend. Riding makes one concentrate on what you are doing. Nothing intrudes between you and the machine, as one slip and you taste asphalt or worse. That concentration allows all the stress and strain to drain away and I get home calmer and ready to be a better father/husband/person. My wife appreciates it, even though everyday I ride she worries I won't be back. And that's another good reason I take it easy and ALWAYS wear full gear... :2cents:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I ride because there's a certain exhilaration I get from knowing that I am in total control over a machine that with the flick of the wrist can become so out of control. Also I have an office job 9 to 5 and sometimes I look out the window and feel that life is just passing by, but when I'm riding I feel as if I'm passing back.

The best part about this thread is must cagers would think that allot of our responses are cliche(sp?) or corny, but I know riders totally get it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I never really desired to ride until I graduated college. Sure I had a dirtbike as a kid but I never really found the right places to ride (later I found a course where I could hit some jumps and this lured me back into dirtbiking). Right around when I was done with college, I decided I should do something for myself. I had a summer before I went away to graduate school, where I would work and earn a decent amount of money. What did I want that summer? To take a really smokin girl to Mt. Washington (the hill that overlooks the beautiful city of Pittsburgh) on the back of my dad's Harley to watch the July 4 fireworks, furiously make out during the grand finale, and ride off into the horizon. So yeah, that never happened (no hot girl to take and kiss, my dad wouldn't let me breathe on his Harley, and I watched the fireworks from my backyard).

But I did have the gumption to sign up for MSF. Once completed, I was so excited, my buddy from Texas gave me his 2001 Kwak ninja 250 to learn on for the WHOLE summer. Well when he took it back, I needed one badly. So I got a good deal on this bike called the ZR-7S. Know nothing about it, except when I test ride it, it really has some oomph compared to the 250s Im used to. The guy offered it for way less than KBB listing (has been downed two times but otherwise in good condition). I still have it and I don't think I'd go with a different one on my next purchase (maybe the Z1k or Z750).

But those dreams of looking cool and riding into the horizon at the end of the day never happened, but the feeling of comraderie, purpose, pure thrill, and personal identification are what I found. I didn't come into the game for those, but I stay for them. I compare the thrill I get to a rollercoaster ride. I find it that amusing to ride a good curvy road.

Three years ago, I botched a derailleur fix on my bicycle. My dad made fun of me- "you're a mechanical engineer and you can't fix anything!". "Sorry dad, I must have missed the mechanics courses in the curriculum" :slap: . But I took it to heart and gave myself a goal to learn how to fix what I own. Slowly but surely I've been taking steps to do this with my motorcycle. This weekend is a testament to the purpose I find motorcycling. I've taken apart the Ninja I bought for my brother. Cleaned it up, modded the air filter, cleaned out the carbs, oiled the cables, and more. What sense of pupose and accomplishment!

I've always been the nerdy kid, but I can be a rebel with my two wheels. Since becoming a rider, I've found more confidence in myself as an individual.

Now that I'm in LA, it's economical. I can use the carpool lane, split lanes, and get way better gas mileage (up to 70 mpg if I do freeway riding for most of the tank). There's no off-season- it's always good riding weather.

All in all, I came into riding because of a wild dream, but what I actually retained are far more meaningful life values. Yeah its kinda cheesy but I cannot picture myself who I am today without two wheels.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think for me my wife summed it up after her first ride. She took the MSF and liked it so we found a used Honda Rebel 250 for her to learn on. The first day the two of us went out for a 20mi ride we got back home and she took off her helmet and said "Wow, I feel so alive!"
I just love riding, many times on my way into work in the dark I'll look down at my speed and see that I'm actually going slower than i would in my truck. I'm just enjoying the ride so much I lose the normal urgency to get where I'm going as soon as possible.
I commute a lot on my bike to save $$ and reduce the milage I put on my truck. I don't care what the temp is when I leave for work, if it's gonna be dry and hit 40s in the afternoon I'm gonna ride. Single digits, no porblem just add another layer. 3ft of snow in the front yard, no problem if the roads are dry.
Plus to be honest I love the power, I could never justify the $$$ it would cost to have power like that in a 4 wheel package.
I'm not a knee dragger and I'm not a cruiser guy, I'm just a guy who loves to ride and does it when ever possible.

yyz0
2002 ZR-7S
P.S. I still get a kick when my wife gets off her 250 and says "my bike is so powerful!" I just shake my head and think wait till she is ready to try something bigger then she'll know what power is.......

·
Registered
432 Posts
It makes feel 16 years old, and only thing keeping my sanity from going over the other side. And not just riding, but also maintaining, doing mods, and talking/reading in the forums about it.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I ride to scare women, children, and some men.

:angel:

Seriously, Many sports give you speed a nd axil-eration but gravity only goes so far. I need the thottle that the Z provides.

·
Silver Member
1,387 Posts
I like to ride because.....

I'm plainly addicted to riding. :headbang: :glassesti The feel of the wind, the feeeling of freedom, the knowledge that it is up to me to keep the bike upright, and just plainly 'cause I go crazy when I can't ride :rant
The last two weeks have been rainy and cold, so I could not ride as much, but any time there was a clearing, I was on my bike even if it was just to ride around the neighborhood. And when I can't get my fix I go :mad: and :mecry:

My mom who did not want us to ride finally one day admitted that if my grandfather would have been alive when we were teens, he would have bought each of us a bike for our 16th B-day.

So why do I ride, Cause it's in my blood

:alcy: to you grandpa, even if I never met you.

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,741 Posts
Why? The body doesn't agree with softball or pick up football games anymore. :thud:

·
Registered
684 Posts
I ride for the challenge of riding better. The more I ride, the more intuitive it becomes and the more I can cut loose comfortably. It's not so much for outright speed as for the joy of a well executed corner. The acceleration is fun too, I admit... I missed riding for 29 years, and finally returned two years ago, so it's been a process of restoring very old muscle memory. The social aspects were something I didn't anticipate, but they've been a huge bonus.

My wife and I took the MSF basic course this past weekend, and we both had a great time. There were 9 riders, representing experienced and new, male and female, young and old. The rider coaches were great, offering excellent feedback and some personal insights while sticking to the program and covering all of the material thoroughly. While I don't think we made any lasting social connections, it was a fun group to spend the weekend with. The reasons the attendees had for taking the class were equally varied. Of the inexperienced students, I predict that some will become serious riders, a few may try it for a while and move on, and one may decide that riding is not for him.

But, to return to topic forcefully, I also ride because it's cool to see the funny looks on peoples' faces when I arrive at church....

Paul in Alabama

·
Registered
670 Posts
TYFOON said:
Seriously, Many sports give you speed a nd axil-eration but gravity only goes so far. I need the thottle that the Z provides.
Hey, I resemble that remark :wink:

There are so many things I like about riding, it is hard pin it all down. I like the solitude when I'm riding alone, but I also like riding with a good friend. Riding can be almost musical, like jamming, when you are in sync with the other person. I also sometimes like riding with my gf on the back. There is a certain closeness in sharing the experience that is unlike others. I don't care all that much for riding in large groups.

I like the kind of focus when can get when riding, where the ride is the only thing in your mind and everything else fades away. It's very meditative.

Like others have said, there is exhilaration of being so being so completely in control of your fate when you are on the bike, and so connected to the machine on which you are dependent to stay alive.

Twisties are the best, but also, honestly, I'm also addicted to the acceleration, way more so than raw speed. Choosing the Z1k seems to make sense.

My favorite thing is touring, although I do way too little of it due to the other demands of life. I wind up doing most of my miles commuting. I commute on the bike just to be riding.

- Axil(-eration)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I agree with most of what has been said, and that riding is addictive and so because of the freedom of movement it allows, getting out of our 'one foot forward at a time' body.
I feel that I am (my body) doing the accelerating, the carving up the twisties the flicking back and forth in defiance of gravity and Newtons law that applies to everything that does not have the power or directional control the bike has. (given me)
I once let my ride go away and always thought I would have another ride but then to much time went by and I actually thought I would get a nice mid engine sports car for g-force on the mountain roads, I thought that would be the 'intelligent' (safe) thing to do, just as good as a bike :hah:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I kind of grew up on 2 wheels. Bicycles as a kid, riding around the neighborhood. 80cc dirtbike in my big backyard as an early teen. Moped from 14-15 years old. Road bicycles from 14 thru college and beyond, even working in sales in a great shop for a couple years as an adult.

Always wanted a motorcycle but my wife was 100% against it. I respected her feelings but still wanted one. Last spring I pressed the issue and she relented. Started looking at Suzuki Boulevards first but decided cruisers really just weren't what I wanted. Got the ZR-7S, then my VFR. Can't imagine NOT riding now!

But as to why do I ride? It's the feeling of freedom you just can't get in a car. The exhilaration of riding fast, cornering quickly or riding in the twisties. The challenge of riding well or proficiently. The acceleration you can feel. The wonderful sounds a motorcycle makes, especially when running hard.

More than anything, tho, it's really how it makes me feel. I feel good, like I'm the king of the world, like I could tackle anything the road could throw at me and smile all the while.

I have an 11-mile commute, with several miles of it on rural freeway. Pretty boring and over all too quickly when I'm on the bike. Late in the season I started a little routine when possible, however, by winding it up to 100 mph just before my exit. Amazing what a little burst of speed, even for 1/2 a mile can do to kickstart your day at work!

Even without the speed, riding revitalizes me and keeps things fresh. I believe it keeps me young, too, especially since I believe a large part of age is your state of mind. I don't feel like I'm 37. Heck, I barely feel like I'm out of my 20s, and I think riding helps keep it that way!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts