RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a part number or website for a new relay that someone knows worked and any info on wiring it. I'd prefer an adjustable one so I can dial in my signal rate.

I don't want the triple whammy or similar items. Only want the relay.

I'll probably be switching to LEDs at all 4 corners this winter and I don't want to use resistors. It wastes the savings of the lower electrical load and also puts a very hot object on the bike.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I use the Tridon EP37 electronic relay. It is not adjustable, but gives a steady flash rate whether you have 1 light or 20. It's used in heavy duty applications like tractor trailers. Price is between $20 and $35 depending upon where you get it. You follow the instructions from Clear Alternatives web site for installing their relay (POS) when using their integrated tail light. You will lose the self canceling feature of the stock setup. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely like the fact that it can handle anything you throw at it load wise. I read that it has an audible noise when activated. Is it really loud/annoying or not really noticeable?

I've never used the self canceling feature so no issues with that.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I never really noticed any noise when activated. The first blink is really quick and then it blinks normally. I have led's on all four corners and the integrated tail also and I've never had an issue. I installed that flasher when I first installed my integrated tail light and then added the front led's at a later time. I just installed the rear led's for more visibility and found no change in function in the flasher with the different load amounts at any time.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right now the $20 option is in the lead. I just shot my wad on Gerbing gear and a fairing for this winter.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I too used the EP37 Triton, but the fact that it flashed fast for the first 1/2 second to second, then blinked normal drove me nuts. I removed it and just have the normal fast flash, which also drives me nuts, so I ordered the electronic flasher from clear alternatives website but have been too lazy to install it. I'll try to get to it this weekend and let you know how it turns out. It's only 13 bucks, but ends up being about 18 after shipping.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I tried the Clear Alternatives relay when I bought the their turn/brake indicator since it came with it. I probably have it buried somewhere in the garage in the stock meanie parts boxes. I wanted the auto-cancel feature back. The increased blink rate didn't bother me.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard from a bunch of people who had the clear alternatives one that it burned out real fast which is why I looked elsewhere. I ended up buying the EP37, should be here in a couple days. Honestly I can't think of one time I've used the auto-cancel feature on the bike so I don't think I'll miss it. And I'm fine with it blinking a little fast, I just don't want the full LEDs to turn it into a constant on situation. I kinda like how its faster now with rear LEDs, gets your attention. But having them at all 4 corners will probably be too much. Thanks for all the options.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yeah, I have LED's on all 4 corners and the EP37 makes the flash rate completely normal except for the initial half second after you hit the switch to turn. My guess is that the large capacitor in the relay needs to charge before it operates correctly, not sure. I'm bummed that users say the clear alternatives relay burns out fast, oh well, i have it so i'll see what happens.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had the Clear Alternatives relay as well. Went through two of them very quickly before I realized that they were junk. I use no relay now, they just blink at the faster rate, which is ok with me.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I installed the clear alternatives relay today, it works fantastic. No clicking sounds when blinking, must be a solid state device. I'm curious to those that have had it fail if they had led's on all 4 corners or just in back or front but not both? Definitely doesn't seem made for high current applications such as filament bulbs but led's all around should be fine. I guess I'll find out if/when it fails on me, but for now I'm happy, no sporadic fast flash then normal flash like the triton relay. :alcy:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where is the flasher relay located on the meanstreak? Can't seem to find the answer anywhere. If it's not asking too much can someone possibly take a picture?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Where is the flasher relay located on the meanstreak? Can't seem to find the answer anywhere. If it's not asking too much can someone possibly take a picture?
If I remember, its under the right side removable cover that is covering your coolant overflow. and its behind the overflow. so the cover comes off with 1 phillips screw. and then 2 screws that hold the overflow container. and theres 3 or 4 relays behind it. throw your blinkers on and youll hear which one it is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts