RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Silver Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking at the Joe Rocket Sport or Chase Harper Stealth bags. All i'vs seen is pics on the web or in mags. Anyone know which is better? The Rocket's are about $20 more.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I, personally, would probably go with Chase-Harper just on name alone (and $20.00 more in my wallet) if that is the bag that is going to do the job I need. Chase-Harper has been around for quite a while, and you don't stay in the motorcycle accessory business by selling stuff that doesn't work. I haven't gotten any bags because I still don't know exactly what I want. I do like the look of Chase-Harper bags though. I have an old set of leather saddle bags that were given to me that I occasionally use when necessary. They're ok for hauling quick maintenance/repair/raingear items on an extended trip, but I don't like this particular set for every day use on the ZR.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just got a set of RKA 47 liter saddlebags, after having used an RKA tankbag for the past 2 years and being very happy with it. They are more expensive than most brands ($210.00), but the quality is superior in my opinion. They look great on the ZR too. Most soft luggage I have seen sags when not loaded and looks messy. RKA's do not do this as they have ABS plastic inserts inside. This makes them almost look like hard bags. What was most important to me, however, was the sherpa fleece backing RKA bags have, as this prevents any scratches to the body work. The mounting of the bags is simple, and with straps that attach to the seat, passenger pegs and around the rear fender the bags are extremely secure. I think Chase Harper makes fine products, but RKA is top of the line. If your interested you can see the bags at RKA Luggage. If you can wait, RKA sometimes offers special deals on their products. I got my bags for 20% off, making them almost the same price as other bags I had looked at. Any way you go I suggest to everyone that any soft luggage you use you spray with ScotchGard Heavy Duty, it is great at repelling water, and protecting against stains.

Z

·
0 Posts
the heck with bags!! :~ checkout www.azmotorsports.com and look at the Ventura Bike Pack System.....they are the cheapest around, and I looked high and far for a bargin....:D think about it, you get a versatile luggage rack and a huge 45-liter pack that you can use as a back pack with the optional straps....I bought it for Christmas, and I tell ya, it was the best $275 I've spent yet for the ZR-7.....I took a long ride a couple of weeks ago, I didn't even know the pack was there....the luggage rack is so useful, you'd be surprised at the stuff you can strap down with a couple of bungee cords....I find that between the Ventura and a tankbag, i've got more than enough room to haul stuff....I know it's a little more $$, but it is an alternative for you to think about..:D ...by the way, the Stealth bags are awesome too!! A buddy has them and they are well built...:)

Ride Safe! Happy New Year!

Pete S.
:angel:

·
Silver Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another quick question...Do these bags mount under the seat also. a little more security than laying straps over the seat

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
http://lockitt.com/Oxfordluggagelifetime.htm

check out the Lifetime Sports Panniers. i saw them at the international motorcycle show in LA. these are by far the nicest soft bags i have seen yet for motorcycles. i was looking at the RKAs because a friend recommended them but these were *much* nicer.

also, they can be mounted on top of or under the seat :)

scott

·
Registered
83 Posts
scottaraujo said:

check out the Lifetime Sports Panniers. i saw them at the international motorcycle show in LA. these are by far the nicest soft bags i have seen yet for motorcycles. i was looking at the RKAs because a friend recommended them but these were *much* nicer.

also, they can be mounted on top of or under the seat :)

scott
Scott
I looked at these bags on the page you put. They do look nice and are bigger than the RKA bags, but I don't see any fleece backing on the bags you got. Is there any? The mounting system on the RKA makes the bags very secure while riding, are the bags you got as secure while moving? And do they hold their shape when empty?

Chris

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
chris, i believe they had some type of soft backing but i don't remember exactly how good it was. i can say there was nothing objectionable or i would have rememebered and wouldn't recommend them.

i'm not sure how well they'd keep their shape when not loaded, i think the ones i looked at were stuffed with foam or something. the nylon was pretty thick and stiff.

i'd suggest that you drop an e-mail to the company and ask them your questions.

scott :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Oxford Bags.

Best regards team:

I just got a set of the Oxford saddlebags.

They are black and yes, they come with a soft back and they keep their shape when they are empty. Just $60. I got them from a local Ducati rider who only use them one time and he do not like it how they look in his bike. The bags look really new and they came with rain covers. Also he sold me his Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex boots in $30, boots are used but still in very good shape! He got new boots and wanted to get rid of the old ones.

http://www.alpinestars.com/2002/closeups/webgt.htm

As soon as I mount the bags, I will take pictures and will let you know guys. I'm planning a "permanent installation".

Any tips/ideas regarding how to keep them clean and dust free? I park the bike in a building garage so the bike gets dusty very fast.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Here are the bags I use. $99.98, and their quality seems very high to me:

You can order a set right online by clicking HERE.

They lock under the seat, and they're angled to avoid contacting the exhaust. They expand a little, so you can fit quite a bit of stuff in them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts