RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i had compiled a list of 14 helmets that were critically acclaimed (LOL). i visited five dealerships in two days without slapping down any bills - sigh.

today i drove to the nearest dealer and picked out a shoei matte black RF1100. i asked the salesman what he could do for me on the price. he discounted it to about the middle of the price range i found on the net, so i'm a happy camper... er, uh, ninja rider.

it's quite comfortable, and a little noisy (but what misshapen object buffeted by 75-mph wind forces is not?).

so, back on the road.

weather is supposed to turn from cool and rainy for the last few days to warm and sunny. see you out there..........:cool:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Had Shoei's and they are nice, but couldn't pass up the $99 Scorpion EXO 1000. Didn't want to spend more money than my head was worth. :swink:

·
Registered
384 Posts
And what's up with the cost of the shields? Back in the day, we bought the $1.99 smoked shields that snapped on to our 3/4 face helmets. And if you were lucky enough to have a full face - I eventually got a Bell Star - shields were $5.99.

Couldn't see spending $59 on the fancy shield when the helment only cost $99. And did ya notice that everyone offers great discounts on helmets......but you always pay full retail on the shields. And wouldn't you know the expensive shields I have for my EXO-700 won't fit the 1000.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Had Shoei's and they are nice, but couldn't pass up the $99 Scorpion EXO 1000. Didn't want to spend more money than my head was worth. :swink:
Bought this retail for $124. Cheapest I found was $200 on Amazon. Great helmet, but a bit noisy at 70-80mph. I have the Apollo white Exo-1000

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Great helmet but if it's flat black I would advise maybe getting a strip of reflective tape on it to help cagers see you better. A contrasting color (or Kawi Green) works well.

And the Shoei shields usually have light tint in them, so don't wear polarized glasses or sunglasses or you'll see rainbows, or distortions.
They also might have a chin curtain to help with wind noise and a breath guard to help with fogging.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
it's quite comfortable, and a little noisy (but what misshapen object buffeted by 75-mph wind forces is not?).

so, back on the road.

weather is supposed to turn from cool and rainy for the last few days to warm and sunny. see you out there..........:cool:
+1 My RF1000 is consiberably louder with wind noise then my last HJC. I certainly didn't expect it to be loud, I have to wear earplugs if I'm going to ride over 30 mins just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Just ordered two (1 for me, 1 for a passenger).

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great helmet but if it's flat black I would advise maybe getting a strip of reflective tape on it to help cagers see you better. A contrasting color (or Kawi Green) works well.

And the Shoei shields usually have light tint in them, so don't wear polarized glasses or sunglasses or you'll see rainbows, or distortions.
They also might have a chin curtain to help with wind noise and a breath guard to help with fogging.
i don't ride at night, if that's why you are suggesting a reflective strip. vision is +1 so far:)

·
Registered
516 Posts
The Scorpion EXO 1000 has a smoke visor that is built in but independent of the shield. I really like this feature as it provides two shields in one. It was really helpful for me when riding into the sun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just picked up the Exo-1000 yesterday and went on a 120 mi inaugural ride. It was unbelieveably comfortable and you can't beat the features. Slide down visor is very useful. My favorite feature is probably the lever that cracks the screen open a little bit. A lot of helmets can do this but the detent is often ****ty so it won't stay open...but it feels great on the highway :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just picked up the Exo-1000 yesterday and went on a 120 mi inaugural ride. It was unbelieveably comfortable and you can't beat the features. Slide down visor is very useful. My favorite feature is probably the lever that cracks the screen open a little bit. A lot of helmets can do this but the detent is often ****ty so it won't stay open...but it feels great on the highway :)

Nice. Can't wait to get mine. Supposed to be here on Wednesday and believe it or not, the weather is supposed to be nice. Won't get in 120 miles but maybe 40 or 50.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Glad for those who got the exo-1000 deal because of me. I'll convey the thanks to the one who alerted me. :)

I got it this Saturday. It feels nice and tight which will hopefully break in to snug. The pull-down internal visor, lockable visor, inflatable cheek pads all seem to work, not gimmicky. I can't test drive now though since the arm is in a sling :mecry:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Glad for those who got the exo-1000 deal because of me. I'll convey the thanks to the one who alerted me. :)

I got it this Saturday. It feels nice and tight which will hopefully break in to snug. The pull-down internal visor, lockable visor, inflatable cheek pads all seem to work, not gimmicky. I can't test drive now though since the arm is in a sling :mecry:
If you bought the exo 1000, it may help to go up one size because of the adjustable check pads. The large for me was tight and snug but my cheeks were screaming bloody murder after 30 minutes of riding. Switched out to an XL and pumped the cheek pads for an almost perfect fit without pain.

I also got in on 2 of those $99 helmets too for spares.

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Icon has some really cool looking new helmets. Never tried one myself.
here's mine, but i use a dark screen, keeps my head cool and i have some hair like this :silly:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts