RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought 2 sets of LED's for the 7s, but I can't decide which I prefer.

I have a set of 10w single LED 2" square lights and a set of 16w quad LED 3" square lights (with 3d focusing lenses.) Both are a spot vs a flood.

I currently have a 16w LED light bar under the headlights that I'll likely be removing. When I bought it it was more of a flood vs a spot. I found while the flood was nice I'd rather have the distance vs the ability to see some of the ditches.

I have the stock alternator (sucky) and have a set of heated grips drawing 12-24w

Here's some quick mock ups of the lights mounted thru the front lower bolts of the fairing.

FYI The small ones are basically the old Denali D1 lights. (I think Twisted Throttle bought them from the same supplier and added their Denali name and a wiring harness kit and charged $$$$ more for them lol.) http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/denali-d1-led-lighting-single-pod-with-euro-driving-beam-lens

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
And a comparison

11.JPG compare.JPG

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Any way to hide them? Maybe tuck them up inside the gap between the fairing and forks?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Are they only on with high beam etc? and not running lights.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are they only on with high beam etc? and not running lights.
I can wire them up however I desire. These were just installed mock ups of how they could look if I install them where I did.

The "bar" that's under the headlight is the only one currently wired up (I've had it a couple of years on the bike) and it's attached to a switch on the dash so I can run it whenever I wish with the high or the low beam. I would likely wire up any auxiliary lighting to run with either the high or the low beam but run thru a relay that required the bike ignition to be "on."

By default here there's no way I can turn off the main headlight. We don't have the tiny running light under the main headlight that some of the other country models have. If you recall that's part of why your right hand gear housing looks different from ours - one less switch.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any way to hide them? Maybe tuck them up inside the gap between the fairing and forks?
The smaller ones might fit, but I'd be worried about the clearances with the forks when turning. The larger ones wouldn't.

I take it you don't like either as is lol.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have 2 small ones tucked away under the front fender (you can see the round circles in front of the forks) but they only work as conspicuity lighting. They are nice and bright for being seen but do absolutely nothing for helping me see better.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I was just wondering because if they were on all the time it would make seeing the indicators harder

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just wondering because if they were on all the time it would make seeing the indicators harder
It's for those late night ride s home from work thru the back road twisties and highway. Lots of little critters out and about (skunks, raccoons and worst - porcupines) not to mention big critters - deer and moose.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm running the "stock" OEM headlight using the direct to battery/ w dual relays wired kit by Eastern Beaver. With either a "standard" H4 bulb (big improvement over stock) or with PIAA Extreme White or Sylvania Silverstar zXe or Ultra H4 bulbs (Super Improvement over stock) I have found that the added visibility is so overwhelming that I really don't see the need to add more. The Eastern Beaver kits are so good that I don't foresee needing or wanting to add any additional lights. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm running the "stock" OEM headlight using the direct to battery/ w dual relays wired kit by Eastern Beaver. With either a "standard" H4 bulb (big improvement over stock) or with PIAA Extreme White or Sylvania Silverstar zXe or Ultra H4 bulbs (Super Improvement over stock) I have found that the added visibility is so overwhelming that I really don't see the need to add more. The Eastern Beaver kits are so good that I don't foresee needing or wanting to add any additional lights. That's just my opinion.
I'm running an HID replacement bulb (it came with the bike and hasn't died yet.) While there's no projector with it it's not offensively bright and I've never been flashed by oncoming drivers. I'm just looking for a longer throw distance than the stock reflector allows. I completely agree though that running an external relay and wiring and not using the stock loom is the way to go, regardless if you use a stock bulb or one of the PIAA / Silverstars / etc. When the HID dies I will likely replace it with this option.

As for opinions, I've asked everyone what they think so even if they say it's crap I've asked for it :)

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
:alcy:If you can't "hide them", and are unwilling to cut a hole in the fairing for them, maybe paint them so they don't stand out as much? But I'm kinda finicky on aesthetics. LOL

·
Registered
853 Posts
Obo, Carryall, I really enjoy "sharing" with y'all. Carryall your bike rocks. Obo you and I ride exactly the same bike. Y'all's opinion means something to me.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:alcy:If you can't "hide them", and are unwilling to cut a hole in the fairing for them, maybe paint them so they don't stand out as much? But I'm kinda finicky on aesthetics. LOL
I'm NOT painting them BLUE!

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm NOT painting them BLUE!
But I did come up with a way to possible mount them a bit cleaner.

Remove the chrome U mount.
Run a longer bolt thru the light, with a small spacer, into the fairing.

In this pic the new bolt will be the red line and the lower U bracket (black in this pic) will be removed.

View attachment 105490

It makes the light more flush to the fairing, a bit lower and away from the direction signals, however it prevents any ability to adjust the aim in the horizontal plane. It still maintains ability to adjust it vertically.

I'm leaning heavily to the smaller lights for a couple of reasons - they are smaller, draw less power, and have a better throw distance even though they are less lumens.

I'm just trying to find long enough M6 bolts for the direct bolt method to work. I've checked 2 hardware stores (Canadian Tire & Home Depot) so far and neither has anything long enough, or in stainless steel.

Here's what I'll basically be doing as a setup, but the bolt will go thru the mount on the top of the light (so it will hang) vs the mount being on the bottom.

View attachment 105482

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure why my attachment pics in this thread are showing to me as links only and not the pictures. *shrug*

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
that's all I got too

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1987-Scirocco-16V-silver.jpg

test upload

seems to work fine now *shrug*

fyi I owned one of these but it had different wheels.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts