RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a stock 07 SE meanie and I am looking for some nice sounding pipes in black, been looking for used but they seem non existent so ill have to shell out the dough for new pipes . I have been reading about many diff pipes and seen that the 2 into 1 pipes are about the best performance but i seen V&H and cobra have a "crossover pipe" that joins the 2 pipes to help produce more power but neither of those brands offer a black pipe for the meanie. i have been looking at the Hard Krome American Classic II ,ROAD BURNER BLACK HAWK , ROAD BURNER 2.5 inch Street Pros , 3 inch Drag Pros .whats the diff between the 2.5 and 3 inch road burners i assume the 3 inch is much louder and do any of these pipes have the crossover to increase power like the cobra?

I do enjoy loud pipes but not ear shattering loud ,which pipes should I choose that will give my bike a performance increase?
Also will these pipes work properly without a fuel programmer on an otherwise stock meanie or will i have lean issues and flat spots? I plan to get a fuel programmer & intake next season or when I have spare cash.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The bigger the pipe, the more obnoxious IMO though some may like it. Not to mention, bigger doesn't necessarily mean a lower tone. Had the Big Straights and was all out obnoxious while the smaller diameter V&H Long Shots on a buddy's 1500 have a lower tone (physics). As far as HK and crossovers... don't believe they use them and probably won't be enough to make that big of a difference like a 2 into 1.

Performance increase won't come from pipes alone. Just like any other setup (including cars), it takes intake, tuning, as well as exhaust before a big difference is seen so no, you don't need a programmer until you open up the intake. Until then you can just enjoy the sound & look.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the intake /fuel programmer will come but just want some better than stock sound and also give an increase in performance compared to stock for this riding season.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Thanks, the intake /fuel programmer will come but just want some better than stock sound and also give an increase in performance compared to stock for this riding season.
Just changing exhaust won't give you a power increase, that will only come when you add an intake. When you add the exhaust you will need to either remove the reed valves and install block off plates or do what was called the marble mod to prevent popping on decel out the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
The bigger the pipe, the more obnoxious IMO though some may like it. Not to mention, bigger doesn't necessarily mean a lower tone. Had the Big Straights and was all out obnoxious while the smaller diameter V&H Long Shots on a buddy's 1500 have a lower tone (physics). As far as HK and crossovers... don't believe they use them and probably won't be enough to make that big of a difference like a 2 into 1.

Performance increase won't come from pipes alone. Just like any other setup (including cars), it takes intake, tuning, as well as exhaust before a big difference is seen so no, you don't need a programmer until you open up the intake. Until then you can just enjoy the sound & look.
Upgrading intake can be as simple as the Cadman mod, or the Woody mod and will only run the cost of a new air filter, about $20, and and hour or less to remov the cross over and faricate a new back plate. No processor os necessary for exhaust and air uprade. Unless you modify the intake manifold, thereby making a major increase in total air flow capacity.

·
Registered
982 Posts
My choice bud...HK Sideburner 2 into 1 pipe. Loud Obnoxious & Black Ran the 3" Drag Pros as well, also loud but not as obnoxious.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2 into one pipes are nice and they have good performance gains once you add the intake/fuel programmer but (not produced anymore?). My preference is 2 into 2 ,I like the idea of performance gains from that cobra and v&h claim to have with there "crossover pipe" but they don't make them in black and i don't feel like paying more to have brand new exhaust ceramic coated at a local shop and not know if they will turn out perfect.
I like the 3 inch drag pros as well but I am assuming they have no crossover and they might be a bit too loud for my liking don't get me wrong i like loud pipes but i don't want to go deaf while riding . I also read stories about the welds breaking on the heat shields on the 3 inch drag pros but maybe that was from improper installs or they fixed the issues. I haven't found any info on the performance gains of the road burner pipes vs cobra or V&H pipes with the crossovers. does anyone have any data on that?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I saw a pair of V&H Big shots on ebay last night for $349.00, I think. Easy enough to pull off the chrome heat shields and cermic coat, or power coar the pipes. Or simply coat the heat shields.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw a pair of V&H Big shots on ebay last night for $349.00, I think. Easy enough to pull off the chrome heat shields and cermic coat, or power coar the pipes. Or simply coat the heat shields.
Thanks ill go have a look on ebay.
I found a guy willing to sell some chrome cobra dragsters for $300 but then i got a quote of $175 to ceramic coat them makes it almost not worth it since im not even sure they come with all of the mounting hardware. i think they may also be a bit loud for my liking from the videos I have watched lol. if i just ceramic coat the shields i shouldn't see much chrome should I?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
The pipes are stainless but discolor from use, but with powdered black heat shields it might look wicked cool.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think I was looking at Road Burners years ago if memory serves. Wound up getting some V&H Big Shots and sending them to Jet Hot in AZ (from Cali at the time) to get black ceramic coated. Pricier than most options, but at the time there weren't many decent options. :/ Came out nice. Hopefully now there are a few better options that wouldn't run as much?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine came with the black 2 into one sideburners. I added demon cycle 4 inch baffles love the sound and less deceleration back fire

1 - 12 of 12 Posts