RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last month or so I have been noticing that my oil level has been low on inspection. I top up to the line in the sight window and 500 miles later it's low again. Not pumping out blue smoke, no carbon deposits around the end's of the pipes, no leaks on garage floor. The engine is totally stock, no mod's. When I ride I keep the RPM's in the 7000+ range...is this causing my probs??
Its an 03 with about 35000 miles (58000 km's) on it. Oil and filter changes every 2000miles (3000 km's)
Anyone with any ideas??

·
Registered
222 Posts
When you top it off, is that at the oil change before starting the engine? If so, it is filling your filter.
How much are you losing after 500 miles? And has the engine been running before you check the level?

I wouldn't think that the rings would be too worn at 35,000 miles.
If you are losing half of a quart in 500 miles then you would definitely see smoke or a puddle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Losing about 1/4 of a quart (200-300ml) every 500 miles, and no it's in between oil filter changes...the oil level is fine immediately after the oil change.

·
Registered
969 Posts
When are you checking the oil level, before starting the bike or after?

·
Registered
426 Posts
You may have a leak that only leaks under pressure when running? Id ride it hard and then look over the bike really well and try to find anything fresh. Also check behind the sprocket cover. You will have a lot of road grime and old chain grime as is but clean that up really well and then go ride and check it again for fresh oil. Maybe the output shaft seal?? Also check your coolant and make sure you don't have any oil in that. I think that would be obvious by the water in your oil but you never know. Hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When are you checking the oil level, before starting the bike or after?
Checking before I start.

You may have a leak that only leaks under pressure when running? Id ride it hard and then look over the bike really well and try to find anything fresh. Also check behind the sprocket cover. You will have a lot of road grime and old chain grime as is but clean that up really well and then go ride and check it again for fresh oil. Maybe the output shaft seal?? Also check your coolant and make sure you don't have any oil in that. I think that would be obvious by the water in your oil but you never know. Hope you figure it out.

Thats a great idea...I'll look after next ride...tomorrow I hope, also read the posting on an oil leak by the water pump...I'll check that out too

Thanks folks, that's the kind of input I was hoping for!:woot:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SO after my ride yesterday I reach under the water pump and presto...there is fresh oil there...the culprit has been discovered. I'll repair this over the winter, only a few weeks of riding left up here before the snow flies.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Just curious, what oil do you run?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts