RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_20180407_184219.jpg

So I was given a 2004 Bandit that had been sitting in a shed for the past few years. I have gotten it to my garage and this bike is in some serious need of TLC. I figure I'll buy a battery tomorrow and go from there. Any insight as to where I should start?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
It appears to be in decent shape (well the tank's not pretty...) but overall that's a decent sign.

Dump out any old fuel and replace it with new and check the oil level, antifreeze level and air filter before you try and start it. Check that tank to make sure its not rusty in the inside like it is on the outside!

Before you ride it, check the tires & brake hoses for cracks, check the tires air pressure, spin each wheel and make sure the brakes works. Inspect the chain for rust, damage, missing teeth on the rear sprocket. Check the chain is not too loose or too tight. Check the direction signals and brake light(s). Check the fork seals don't leak oil when you compress the front end. Then when you do take it for a ride, ride it slow and conservative. No "givin' it" regardless of the temptation.

It's likely due for service (oil, tires, brake fluid, antifreeze) The tires will have a DOT date code on them as well (you can find out online how to tell a tires age.) If the tires are too old, replacing them is the safer option.

If you are in doubt of your abilities, have someone who's more knowledgeable than you look at it.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
double post

1 - 4 of 4 Posts